• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shorks Vs Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks have serious backline concerns.

Kockot out for one week for the slap (stupid little shit).

Steyn has a knee problem.

Pienaar is barely hobbling onto the pitch.

Waylon Murray (center) re-injured his knee after almost a year out

Jacobs seems to be serious and could be out for the season.

If Steyn is fit the problem is whether they play him at 10 and Pienaar at 9. Steyn is not a ten, we have seen that for seven rounds now.

There is the option of bringing in the other scrummie in the squad (youngster, know nothing about him sorry), and play Pienaar at 10, which I think is a bigger risk.

Expect to see Pienaar at 9 if Steyn is fit.

The guy playing 12 at the moment, Swanepoel, has been ok on defense but offers nothing on attack.

So assuming Steyn is fit, we might see this against the Tahs:

9 Pienaar
10 Steyn
11 JP Pietersen
12 Swanepoel
13 Strauss
14 Odwa
15 Terreblanche

So a makeshift backline at best. 3rd choice center pairing, untried halves combo.

I think this game is 50/50 in the balance. I would have given the Guppies the edge for being at home but they are forced to field many untried combinations and potentially a rookie scrummie.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Re: Guppiefish v Hickeymob

Cape Town ? The Springboks suffered another injury blow ahead of the series against the British and Irish Lions with the news that Frans Steyn may be out for several weeks.

The versatile backline player injured knee ligaments against the Highlanders. It?s a similar injury to the one that sidelined Ruan Pienaar for seven weeks. If Steyn?s injury does not recover faster than Pienaar?s, he will be 34 by the time the Lions visit South Africa again.

Steyn?s injury comes shortly after a broken leg ruled Stormers fullback Conrad Jantjes out for the season. Jantjes would have started at fullback for South Africa.

There is also still uncertainty about injuries to Schalk Burger (calf), Jean de Villiers (groin) and Andries Bekker (ribs).

Sharks coach John Plumtree said Ruan Pienaar would start at flyhalf in Steyn?s absence against the Waratahs.

He believes Pienaar is 100 percent ready and will be a key player in Steyn?s absence.

?We only left him on the bench as a precautionary measure. Some players enjoy being thrown straight back in after a long absence, while others prefer being introduced gradually. We thought it would suit Ruan to make his comeback off the bench,? said Plumtree.

In other developments, scrumhalf Rory Kockott has been suspended for a week, but centre Adrian Jacobs was back in training.

Plumtree was philosophical about the punishment dished out to Kockott, who struck Highlanders flank Adam Thomson with an open hand.

?It could have been worse,? Plumtree told the media.

?Rory was immediately embarrassed about the incident. He apologised to his teammates straight afterwards.? Sanzar judicial officer Dekker Govender considered the incident reckless and suspended Kockott for a week.

Kockott will therefore be back when the Sharks take on the Bulls in the final round. Charl McLeod will play scrumhalf in Kockott?s place.

Meanwhile, Govender also suspended Highlanders centre Daniel Bowden for a week for a high tackle on the Sharks? Riaan Swanepoel.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Guppiefish v Hickeymob

So that's both the first choice 15's gone for the Lions series. Fark. Needed both their kicking game against the Lions.

Step up Stefan Terblanche.

With that I make the Tahs a slight favorite for this weekend's match.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
fatprop said:
Krockett (suspended) & Stein (wounded) are out, this could get interesting.

:lmao: 20 seconds too late. ............................. ..........................

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/topic,8994.0.html

We Tah supporters would far prefer that Steyn played.

Really? Wow. Yeah he's a terrible footballer isn't he. ::)

Steyn at 10 is pretty average to crap. At 12 and 15 he is a different prospect. I think most people would rather have Swanepoel running at Beale than Steyn...

P

PhucNgo

Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

:lmao: 20 seconds too late. ............................. ..........................

Steyn at 10 is pretty average to crap. At 12 and 15 he is a different prospect. I think most people would rather have Swanepoel running at Beale than Steyn...

We demand Steyn! Anywhere in the backline would be fine. The only time he'll be running at Beale will be when (if)he breaks the defensive line, 'cause they're hiding Beale at 15 in defence. Steyn may be a talented player but everyone knows that you only need to muss up his hair and he goes off. Happens every time against the Tahs.

I was gob smacked by the improvement in the Shark's forwards last week against the Clan. I'd have to say that a repeat of that would tip the balance in their favour for mine.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Steyn at 10 and 12 is pretty average to crap. At 15 he is a different prospect. I think most people would rather have Swanepoel running at Beale than Steyn...

Fixed that for you. He has great natural ability but seems to be lost when it comes to making decisions for the movement of the line.

PhucNgo gets it right - we'll be happy with Steyn anywhere. Rob Horne is not the Tahs' only Steyn Remover - I think all 21 of them (excluding Beale :) would relish the job and be very capable of doing it well.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Steyn at 10 and 12 is pretty average to crap. At 15 he is a different prospect. I think most people would rather have Swanepoel running at Beale than Steyn...

Fixed that for you. He has great natural ability but seems to be lost when it comes to making decisions for the movement of the line.

PhucNgo gets it right - we'll be happy with Steyn anywhere. Rob Horne is not the Tahs' only Steyn Remover - I think all 21 of them (excluding Beale :) would relish the job and be very capable of doing it well.

Doing what well?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Doing what well?

Steyn Removing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Doing what well?

Steyn Removing.

What does that mean or am, I expecting too much?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Doing what well?

Steyn Removing.

Don't you remember Rob Horne's great hit on Steyn last year? Steyn went completely missing for the rest of the game. A journalist nick-named Horne the "Steyn Remover".

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Doing what well?

Steyn Removing.

Don't you remember Rob Horne's great hit on Steyn last year? Steyn went completely missing for the rest of the game. A journalist nick-named Horne the "Steyn Remover".

I remember yes. I do suffer the misfortune of having the SMH delivered to my door each day.

So by your inference that implies that 21 Tahs players will all make a hit like that one Steyn. You're really struggling to make sense here. NEver mind, he isn't playing so let's leave the discussion for next year - if there is still a Super X and Steyn hasn't signed the French contract.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Doing what well?

Steyn Removing.

I remember yes. I do suffer the misfortune of having the SMH delivered to my door each day.

So by your inference that implies that 21 Tahs players will all make a hit like that one Steyn. You're really struggling to make sense here. NEver mind, he isn't playing so let's leave the discussion for next year - if there is still a Super X and Steyn hasn't signed the French contract.

Lighten up, Mate.

I did NOT write that 21 Tahs will make a hit like Horne's. It takes only one - doesn't need repeating :lmao:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Think some people underestimate Steyn. I don't think he's a bad 12 at all, and actually think that may end up being his position.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Jessie this look like a uphill battle for the Tjarks from now on. Maybe just the right medicine to get them back on track. Will be sad if they drop this one and beat the Brutes next week. Our teams have the tendens to do just that.

Luckily Pienaar will slot in at 10, AD Jacobs was back in training yesterday and Charl McLeod will slot in at 9. Must say the Sharks Vodacom side did pretty good this year compare to the past and surely the talented youngster twin Ross Cronje will sit on the bench. Also hoping the MagPie lock Johan Snyman will get a run in S14 rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Steyn looks a lot better when he isn't trying to kick ridiculous droppies from all over the half-way mark! As he did more often at 10 and 15. I agree with Blue and Ash - 12 might be his.
Extremely talented, and will grow into it as he matures mentally, which he needs to do. I will say, they might want to keep him off the Turinui Pie-Based Diet though - comms on the weekend reckoned he was up to 106kg, which for mine is about 6-8 too many. He is naturally strong and doesn't need to pork up!
Don't let them wind you up too much, Blue!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He looks a bit porky doesn't he?

Thanks for the advice cyclopath. I'll just gouge them if they carry on. In truth, I probably started it so I deserve some punishment O0

Status
Not open for further replies.