• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shorks Vs Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Honestly, the best Frans has ever looked was when he subbed into the 12 jersey for the 2007 RWC after Jean de Villiers was injured. Much less headless chicken decisions from him there, versus in the flyhalf channel. From what I have heard, he will be playing 12 for Metro Racing in Paris, so hopefully will get some seasoning there.

S

Spook

I thought Stain/Steyn remover was humourous ??? Btw Steyn never looks happy. Ever.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Brad Barritt back to fill in for the wounded!

Barritt, an Emerging Springbok in 2007, has returned from English Premiership side Saracens to fill in for injured utility back Frans Steyn - who has been ruled out for the rest of the Super 14 with a knee injury.

Steyn's injury, which will rule him out for up to six weeks, has put him in doubt for the three-Test series against the British and Irish Lions next month.

At the Sharks they have a readymade back-up in Barritt.

The 22-year-old's contract with Saracens was structured in such a way as to allow him to return to play for the Sharks should they need him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horne, Burgess return for Tahs

May 6, 2009 - 10:05AM

Young centre Rob Horne has been switched to play on the wing for the NSW Waratahs in Saturday's must-win Super 14 clash with the Sharks in Durban.

Coach Chris Hickey has stuck with Timana Tahu at outside centre alongside Kurtley Beale and moved regular No.13 Horne out to replace Peter Playford on the wing as he returns from a hamstring injury.

In the other major change, Luke Burgess returns to start at halfback ahead of Brett Sheehan.

Winger Lote Tuqiri (knee) and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau (ankle) have both been selected to start with coach Chris Hickey expecting them to be fit despite leaving the field against the Cheetahs last weekend due to injury.

"We've taken the load off Lote and Tatafu in the early part of the week, but the assessment on them both has been really positive so we're fully expecting them to be available," said Hickey.

"Lote's a big game player so it would be hard to keep him off the park for such a big game and Tatafu has been up there with our best all year, particularly in the physical encounters with big forward packs."

Horne, who has been out for almost a month after suffering his injury against the Bulls in round nine, will be having his first start on the wing.

"When Rob went off against the Bulls it was assessed as a 2-3 week injury and it ended up being three weeks," said Hickey.

"He's come along pretty well though, and he was put through some pretty demanding activities at training earlier today so were going with him out wide.

"You have to remember Rob's still only 19 so you definitely don't risk someone with injury so early in their career; you have to ensure their rehab is complete.

"With Burgo (Burgess), we just think he's going to have the biggest impact given our opposition.

"It's in no way a reflection on Brett Sheehan's form because he's been fantastic for us over the past couple of weeks."

Sam Norton-Knight was the only player not considered due to injury.

"Sam's back is coming along well but not to the point of being available for Saturday," said Hickey.

"As long as he looks like being available for the Lions (in round 14) we'll keep him in South Africa with us to continue his rehab."

Lachie Turner,
Rob Horne,
Timana Tahu,
Kurtley Beale,
Lote Tuqiri,
Daniel Halangahu,
Luke Burgess,
Wycliff Palu,
Phil Waugh (capt),
Ben Mowen,
Will Caldwell,
Dean Mumm,
Al Baxter,
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Benn Robinson.

Res: Damien Fitzpatrick , Sekope Kepu, Chris Thomson, Luke Doherty, Brett Sheehan, Peter Playford, Tom Carter.

Better side ;D

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Agree FP, Playford was rubbish last week and Sheehan wasn't much better. Hopefully Burgo can get the ball to Hangers and KB (Kurtley Beale) a lot quicker, which will release the three Ts.

Should be a cracker of a match if the Tahs play like they did last week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, I would still have tweaked the Bench swapping Doherty for Beau Robinson to add a bit of impact, but it is clearly a better side than last weeks with the inclusion of Horne.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Yeah, I would still have tweaked the Bench swapping Doherty for Beau Robinson to add a bit of impact, but it is clearly a better side than last weeks with the inclusion of Horne.

Is Beau still alive? Has he done a Leroy?

Between this side and the Shorks injury list, I'm seeing some daylight in this game

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gagger said:
fatprop said:

Is Beau still alive? Has he done a Leroy?

Between this side and the Shorks injury list, I'm seeing some daylight in this game

Beau is running around for the Rats, keeping fit to get a contract with the Reds for next season

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Beau is running around for the Rats, keeping fit to get a contract with the Reds for next season.

And I sincerely hope he does. Half decent scrappers and scavengers are thin on the ground in Oz (who're our backup 7s?); we can't afford to leave blokes like Beau on the shelf to be picked off by NH/Japanese clubs. Go north, young man.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Beau is fantastic. Hickey's brain leak is turning into a flood.

Yeah but a reserve 7 is totally useless when Phil Waugh is playing. A reserve 7 is fairly useless anywhere for that matter, as generally 7s are the fittest, most skilfull players on the field and rarely need to be subbed. Queensland is the only state where this is not the case.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks team:

15. Stefan Terblanche
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Adrian Jacobs
12. Brad Barritt
11. JP Pietersen
10. Ruan Pienaar
9. Charl McLeod
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Jean Deysel
6. Jacques Botes
5. Johann Muller ( C )
4. Steven Sykes
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements
16. John Smit
17. Deon Carstens
18. Albert van den Berg
19. Keegan Daniel
20. Monty Dumond
21. Riaan Swanepoel
22. Luzuko Vulindlu

Ended up being a very exciting backline. Young Brad Barrit returns from Saracens (his contract with Saracens was such that they could call him back any time).

Barrit is one of my favourite young backline players in SA and I was seriously pissed when he left. He and Adi know each other very well having had two seasons together already.

The only slight question mark is young McCleod who is apparently very strong and a real nuggety little player. Tahs sure to target him.

Pienaar and Barrit are excellent distributors and Jacobs with the wingers love to attack. In my opinion Barrit is a much better defender at 12 than Steyn or Swanepoel and he hits harder than any other South African 12. Think Carter with a brain and passing skills :fishing ;D

Surprise to see Smit drop to the bench. He looked pretty good in the first half against the Highlanders scrum. I suppose its a sign of respect for the Tahs scrum to bring the recognised TH back in.

I was about to tip the Tahs but I'm reversing it. Sharks by less than 7.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep , look like a good side. Dunno they way they will click but sure will tip the Sharks. Expect they will give it some air and their defense will be much better to last week. Was hoping they'll bench the young Ross Cronje but it look like Ruaan will go 80 minutes. They would have been vunerable if they werent so desperate but expect them to try and blast the Tahs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gagger said:
PaarlBok said:
Yep , look like a good side.

Yes, it is. Fucken cagey sharks.

Too much talk from the Tahs camp. First Mowen with his little ego trip and then all this yadday yadda about the sharks delaying team announcements.

Jacobs is playing with a tear in his shoulder, Pienaar just back from injury, decision to play or not play a guy who flew in from the UK on Tuesday. It's completely acceptable to leave the announcement to the last minute. Too much conspiracy theory.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
C'mon Blue, I thought your name said it all: Blou Bulle first, sky blue second. Get with the program!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scarfman said:
C'mon Blue, I thought your name said it all: Blou Bulle first, sky blue second. Get with the program!

I hate smack talk from rugby teams, no matter who they are. Shut your trap, get on the park, play. The end.

I don't think I have seem Mowen quoted, ever. First time he gets interviewed, he comes up with verbal diarrhea. Don't get it really. As for the team selection thing, I think Growden started the rumour last year that the Sharks are sneaky in their selections. Personally I work on the premise that if it's written by Growden, it's more likely to be a crock of shit than not. </rant>

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am tipping the sharks by 4 in what will be a near final quality match (believe it or not). This will leave the tahs with some sort of mathematical chance of reaching the finals if they can beat the lions by 190+points next week.

Actually this is the hardest tipping round by far so with four genuine 50:50 games:

tahs/sharks
canes/chiefs
storm boys/force
lions/highlanders

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Criticism of Steyn as a flyhalf are valid but the Sharks have been hampered by the injury to Pienaar.

The Pie will be a sterner test than a healthy Steyn (a natural 12) would have been, but he will be rusty.

The Sharks weren't that great last week IMO but they will be still too good for the Tahs if they don't improve. True, the Tahs got the ball out wide regularly for the first time, and Waugh, Turner and Beale played well, but they ruined chance after chance. A semi final contender would have got a 4 try bonus point win in that game.

The Tahs lost another 3 lineouts on TPN's throws so he leads the dud throw stat for the S14 with 31. It's a pity he can't get that skill right as otherwise he could be the no. 1 hooker in Oz, above Moore. He seemed to get better at throwing in 2008 after a poor 2007 but has gone backwards in 2009.

Apart from the lost lineouts, (and thanks to Mowen, they were won back with interest) the Tahs forwards were good in most elements of play.

The Tahs scrum was terrific last week, even though they were dudded by the ref on a couple of them, but they won't get the same dominance against the Sharks. I saw Foley quoted in the paper this morning that the Sharks had the one of the biggest packs in the competition, maybe even the biggest.

They don't: their pack weighs in at about 850 kgs if the TV figures are right. They monstered the Highanders in a few scrums last week and the Clan pack totted up to 910 kgs. So; their scrum obviously relies on good technique including an exact application of force at the right moment.

I expect that both packs will play well; so it may come down to how well the backs of either side convert their opportunities and how well the goal kickers perform. The Tahs backs blew chances last week, as mentioned, but the Sharks looked like they had lost the ability to (a) pass and (b) catch, the ball.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spot on Lee. I also went and looked up the pack weights after reading the article this morning. Sharks actually have a very averaged size pack for a Saffer side. I give the Tahs a slight edge in the scrums. Du Plessis has not been good this season. Too much rotation? Don't expect it to have bearing on the game though. The battle between The Beast and The Architect should be a good one.

The Sharks have been playing a high risk offload game of late. I was screaming at the box by half time last week that they didn't stop the offloads and simply laid it back. They would have put the game away if they did that.

In this respect the Tahs and Sharks have almost been a mirror image of each other this season. Decision making by the ball carrier has been absolutely horrendous. Tahs lose Louden and Campese not involved any more in Durban. Coincidence? Not enough training going into this area IMHO. The basic passing and catching skills has been terrible by both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.