• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

Tooheys New Shute Shield Grand Final (1st Grade)

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY V RANDWICK (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)

Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Pat Ryan; 4. Dave Dennis, 5. Ben McCalman, 6. Pat McCutcheon, 7. Phil Waugh, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Scott Stumbles, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Nick Edwards, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Peter Betham; 15. Jacob Taylor.
Reserves: 16. Jono Owen, 17. Ben Roberts, 18. Dean Mumm, 19. Jono Jenkins, 20. Luke Burgess, 21. Dan Kelly, 22. Rob O’Reilly, 23. Scott Cameron.

Randwick: 1. Sekope Kepu, 2. Atonio Halangahu [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Tim Maxwell, 5. Mark Chisholm; 6. Henry Vanderglas, 7. Seilala Lam, 8. Stephen Hoiles; 9. Patrick Phibbs, 10. Tim Walsh; 11. Drew Mitchell, 12. Shaun Foley, 13. Bernie Orbell, 14. Francis Fainifo; 15. Marshall Milroy.
Reserves: 16. Daniel Spencer, 17. Nick Cummins, 18. Steve Brennan, 19. Dave Vizer, 20. Josh Valentine, 21. Ratu Nasiganiyavi, 22. Adam Freier, 23. Manning Doughty.

Both sides have pretty solid benches, always a sign of quality.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Noddy said:
And Rob Horne is playing the Colts 1 Grand Final.

That is great news. Betcha Robbie D is there taking a very keen interest.

I'd love to see Horne get through a whole game and be back on the way to his best. Class.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Lindommer said:
Sydney grand finals on Sunday at the SFS. The mighty Pirates fourths take on Randwick at 10:00am. Anyone else going?

You kidding ? Who doesn't love seeing Se Yeon Lee getting the ball wide to Fatani Finefeuiaki and Vesi Tokakaulevu ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

I hope this is a game worthy of the occasion. I'll record it and watch it later, and unless people are going to the game I would recommend that they do the same - and show up at 2pm at Riverview to watch several future Super players playing for Oz Schools v Tongan Schools. [Edit - I thought the game was on Saturday.]

This won't be a great Oz Schools team because there are positions in it that didn't have a lot of quality in the Oz Schools tournament, but, in counterpoint, it has more lads in other positions than is customary that look like certain Super starters down the track.

They showed two of them in the paper yesterday. Greg Peterson from Scots is 205 cms, but not one of those stringbean types we get so much in schools 2nd rows - he's a Dan Vickerman type and has just been added to the Tahs stable. Luke Jones is 197cms and is pure Rocky Elsom. He was mentioned as being in the second row with Peterson but he is so athletic and abrasive he will most likely play Super rugby as a lineout 6 - though he plays 8 also.The Force made a good pick with the Jones boy.

The paper said the Oz Schools 2nd row will be bigger than the Wallabies 2nd row,

I've hijacked this thread because bugger all of you blokes visit the Schools thread. Get to Riverview and..... if there is a young Dan Vickerman type and a young Rocky Elsom to watch, there is also a young Lote Tuqiri whose name I can never spell without looking it up but is probably Kimami Situata, who, by one account, played 1st Grade in the Brisbane GF last week..

Back to the Shute Shield: it is great that the coaches have stuck to their regulars in many cases and it's also good than Nathan Charles is being give a chance by Uni to start at hooker.

I give Randwick a chance provided they get somebody to whack the younger Halangahu across the shins with a baseball bat as he gets out of his car - or better still, one or both knee caps.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I accept that few , if any, will share this sentiment, but what can I say?
YAY! :yay
PS - well played Randwick who had enough pill to steal it. Defence wins finals matches, I guess.

T

TOCC

im not sure why people keep drawing comparisons between Situata and Tuqiri, Situata doesnt look like Tuqiri to me, except for the fact that he is a poly..

probably same reason people keep saying Genia reminds them of a young Gregan

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

TOCC said:
cause of the similarity between PNG and Zambia, or cause he's short, dark and strong?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Sat down in front of the box yesterday to watch the GF yesterday. Good standard of game from where I sat. Randwick did have their chances but didn't take them particularly in the second half. I thought a backline with Mitchell, Fainifo and Cummins might do a bit better.

Was impressed with the Randwick fullback Milroy and the No 7. Lam. For Uni I liked Jerry Y, the prop and thought Halangahu controlled things well for most of the game. Betham showed more toe and lightness of feet than I thought he had, and that Edwards looks a likely lad. Good solid centre combo for Uni as well.

Brisbane Brothers will find Uni very tough when they meet for the title of best OZ club.

S

Spook

Moses said:
TOCC said:
cause of the similarity between PNG and Zambia, or cause he's short, dark and strong?

..and that flick pass

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Sydney Uni looked more vulnerable in the GF than they have since the end of May when they were without their many Super14 players. They defended well but they didn't take enough advantage of the many go forward episodes that their forwards provided. They seemed off their stroke. Even Halangahu, a maestro in Sydney club rugby, looked out of sorts sometimes.

I thought it was going to be same old shit different day when they scored their opening try. It was good to see Pete Betham set up the try like he did in his schools days and I hope it's a sign for a comeback next year. Apart from that and the Inman try from a set piece, Uni didn't look like world beaters.

That soft Inman try just after Randwick had taken the lead was a killer. He almost went looking for a tackler but couldn't find one.

Most of we neutrals at the ground were going for Randwick. Though we had little love for them it was more than we felt for the Students. We were shaking our heads as they fluffed their lines time after time and wondered why their backline had disappeared near the end; surely it couldn't be those gatherings of seagulls who went on the charge.

And why, when Randwick players were running with supporting players did they use the foot instead of hands? These questions would have been asked many times on Saturday night at the club watering hole opposite Coogee Oval, but there wouldn't be too many answers.

So, another premiership for Uni. Well done those men; but I wish that other teams were better to make it harder for you.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

spectator said:
Sat down in front of the box yesterday to watch the GF yesterday. Good standard of game from where I sat. Randwick did have their chances but didn't take them particularly in the second half. I thought a backline with Mitchell, Fainifo and Cummins might do a bit better.

Was impressed with the Randwick fullback Milroy and the No 7. Lam. For Uni I liked Jerry Y, the prop and thought Halangahu controlled things well for most of the game. Betham showed more toe and lightness of feet than I thought he had, and that Edwards looks a likely lad. Good solid centre combo for Uni as well.

Brisbane Brothers will find Uni very tough when they meet for the title of best OZ club.

when is the game being played?, if it is at the start of next season most of the Uni side will be on S14 duty like this year

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Lee Grant said:
Most of we neutrals at the ground were going for Randwick.

Not sure that was the case; Anyone But Randwick was the call from the neutrals in my members section.

Most disappointing result of the day for me was the Gordon 2nds defeat. After the thirds had done a great job upsetting Uni and coming off a dominant semi-final appearance against Randwick, the 2nds should have been well up for it. Instead, they saved what must have been close to their worse game of the season for the final. Perhaps it was nerves and being overawed by the occasion but a sad end to a great season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

TheRiddler said:
Not sure that was the case; Anyone But Randwick was the call from the neutrals in my members section.

Not near the 50M line down the front in the members. I thought the disappointing crowd, which was less than at some Joeys games I have been to, was going for Randwick more, apart from the Uni boosters near Campo's corner.

Yeah the 2nd grade Gordon team had every chance to win but they seemed to choke.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

AussieDominance said:
Hypothetical question, what would Gordon/Easts 2's place in 1st grade if they were allowed to enter!

Suspect that they would give Penrith and Parra 1sts a good game and probably beat them more often than not. Maybe even add Norths into that list as well this season :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.