• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

Norths had former wallaby Al Baxter, and I believe Kurtley should have played for them as well../

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Been busy all week so havent had time to post this query. How the fuck did the mighty Gordon finish up third in the comp and be rewarded with a 'home' elimination final against the Rats at Rat Park? Surely it would have been fairer for the NSWRU to put them on at Foreshaw and have the other semi at Rat Park.

Will probably be banished from the Gordon Supporters Club but I cant see them getting up today - unless someone puts one on Sheehan in the first five mins :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Yeah Sheano isn't much of an international player - and is an average Super14 player on a good day - but he's one of those guys who can be more influential in club rugby than internationals can be. Halangahu is much the same.

Riddler, the game was scheduled for Rat Park before the season started and there was always 1 chance out of 6 that the Rats would be one of the 12 1st grade teams participating. Last year they played Randwick at the Woollhara cabbage patch, Eastern Suburbs home ground, in their elimination semi-final.

The finals are not just about 1st Grade: today Sydney Uni, Easts, Eastwood and Randwick all have teams in the lower grade eliminations at Rat Park.

The Rats haven't scored a lot of tries this year and will hope that they can play like they did last time at home: against Eastern Suburbs two weeks ago, when they cut loose with Sheehan and Josh Holmes in prime attacking form.

I will go to see the game even though it's on TV, because it is just up the road from where I live - then back to see the Hamilton test match, and then the league finals. Talk about good viewing.

I may go to Forshaw tomorrow to see Manly play Eastwood. The Woodies were bloody awful last week but Manly aren't Uni and have the same problem as the Rats: not scoring a lot of tries.

I may not go though - I've been on annual leave and haven't gone as far as Forshaw Park.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

The venues for all the semis are scheduled some time before the season finishes. Don't forget the 3 v 6 semis in all grades are on the same day at the same venue. The venues are rotated around the better grounds in Sydney to give their clubs a chance to make a few bob with the later finals usually played at Concord. Coogee, Manly, Chatswood, North Sydney, Sydney University, Nepean and Granville don't get (m)any finals matches.

Tomorrow my bloke's in the Colts III semi against Randwick at Woollahra while the Pirates Colts II are also playing there but against Eastwood. Doesn't matter where your team finishes up, it's where the semis are scheduled for that date.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Lee Grant said:
Yeah Sheano isn't much of an international player - and is an average Super14 player on a good day - but he's one of those guys who can be more influential in club rugby than internationals can be. Halangahu is much the same.

Riddler, the game was scheduled for Rat Park before the season started and there was always 1 chance out of 6 that the Rats would be one of the 12 1st grade teams participating. Last year they played Randwick at the Woollhara cabbage patch, Eastern Suburbs home ground, in their elimination semi-final.

The finals are not just about 1st Grade: today Sydney Uni, Easts, Eastwood and Randwick all have teams in the lower grade eliminations at Rat Park.

The Rats haven't scored a lot of tries this year and will hope that they can play like they did last time at home: against Eastern Suburbs two weeks ago, when they cut loose with Sheehan and Josh Holmes in prime attacking form.

I will go to see the game even though it's on TV, because it is just up the road from where I live - then back to see the Hamilton test match, and then the league finals. Talk about good viewing.

I may go to Forshaw tomorrow to see Manly play Eastwood. The Woodies were bloody awful last week but Manly aren't Uni and have the same problem as the Rats: not scoring a lot of tries.

I may not go though - I've been on annual leave and haven't gone as far as Forshaw Park.

Up the mighty Highlanders- hope that wasn't you Lee getting involved in a sideline fracas towards the end!

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

The Chosen said:
Up the mighty Highlanders- hope that wasn't you Lee getting involved in a sideline fracas towards the end!

What a muppet that guy was. Not surprised - Warringah is a magnet for dickheads. They have a no 'no dickheads' policy it seems.

Terrific clash. Much higher intensity and physicality than regular season, and it took its toll on the skill and execution of both teams. Gordon deserving winners, though they made tough work of it, and slackened off a bit before the job was finished.

For Gordon, I thought blindside Paulie Tuala was brilliant and the best player on the field. He got through a mountain of work in defence & was a menace at the breakdown. They lost quite a bit when Alcock subbed on for him. Fullback Haylett-Petty gave the Rats a tough time, and seems to break a lot of tackles for a bloke with a wiry/lanky physique.

The Rats tried hard but were simply outworked and outclassed. I'd say their rep players' reputation was hurt if anything. Sheehan had a messy game, Thomson made little impact for a bloke his size, J.Holmes did little, Pek Cowan's power was nowhere to be seen. Fullback McCabe was dangerous, Sare made some good runs but as many mistakes in defence, falling off Haylett-Petty. Beau was terrific though and with Luke Holmes, never gave up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

naza said:
For Gordon, I thought blindside Paulie Tuala was brilliant and the best player on the field. He got through a mountain of work in defence & was a menace at the breakdown. They lost quite a bit when Alcock subbed on for him. Fullback Haylett-Petty gave the Rats a tough time, and seems to break a lot of tackles for a bloke with a wiry/lanky physique.

Boo Hoo - Gordon were too good. My boys lost too much pill, were too late to the breakdown and waited for other guys to clean out if they got there on time. They threw some dreadful passes too. Only Cowan and Beau had go forward in the pack and the backs seemed not to know each other.

At least Josh Holmes had an excuse with a virus and brother Luke had a strong finish to the game.

Agree with naz about Tuala - he was dynamite and I was surprised that they took him off not too long after oranges. Teenage West Australian scrummie Justin Turner looked good for his age and it's a good thing that they sent him to Sydney club rugby as part of his Force apprenticeship. He was badly hurt towards the end of the game (elbow?) and looked too hurt to play next week as he walked up the tunnel.

DHP had a good game for Gordon in his best position of fullback and Dave Harvey playing 12 was a pain in the arse all day. He's not the greatest tackler in the world; so they park him at fullback on defence, but he's a good footie player otherwise.

Gordon played well but nevertheless will have to improve their accuracy on attack. They can't expect Randwick to allow them 3 random tries next week as the Rats did today.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Woo hoo. The GaGR official Most Popular Club might soon have a premiership to go with all the good looking private school chicks.

The 90s are back again.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

A spectator has become involved in a brawl between players in a semi-final of the Sydney club rugby competition on Saturday afternoon.

The fight broke out near the sideline between players from Warringah and Gordon in the Shute Shield clash at Pittwater Park.

A male spectator was filmed by ABC television cameras reaching over the fence to punch Gordon player Dave Harvey before running out of the ground.

Club officials say they know who the man is and have called police in to investigate.

"It hasn't happened in the history of our game. We're struggling to comprehend such atrocious behaviour," said Warringah club secretary Duncan Holmes.

He says the spectator will be banned for life from attending games at the ground.

Gordon won the game 27-10.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/12/2684135.htm?section=justin

r434727_2086987.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Not only the knob that punched the player, but the guy next to him who dragged the player to the ground should be banned too. Low act. Funny to see the gutless prick doing the bolt.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

naza said:
Fullback Haylett-Petty gave the Rats a tough time, and seems to break a lot of tackles for a bloke with a wiry/lanky physique.

DHP appears to be a very powerful ball runner - saw him bust a number of tackles at Eastwood last week as well.

With the incident that descended into the crowd fiasco, I think that the Rats 13 (Sare??) was brave/stupid taking on my fave Gordon player Jarrod Barry in the biff. JB's a big ol' bloke and I think the 13 would have certainly known it if any of the punches had landed. Loved his chat to Steve Walsh when the penalty was awarded - "I didnt want to fight but didnt really have a lot of choice" or words to that effect.

Talking of Walshie, thought he had an exceptional game again. Surely he will be back on the Super 14 panel this season (after reffing Gordon to a Shute Shield Grand Final victory that is :) )

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

my good that was low. credit to steve walsh. handled it well. also to the players for not jumping the fence and punching on

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

louie said:
my good that was low. credit to steve walsh. handled it well. also to the players for not jumping the fence and punching on
Probably good for the bloke - he looked like any of the players may have done him some serious damage. Coward.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

good for everyone. last thing with need is club players on assault charges.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

I heard that some of the Gordon 2nd Grade team caught the bloke. Not sure if true or not but I really hope they didnt go easy on him if they did.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Predictions for the major semis?

What a fantastic weekend of rugby awaits us. Uni v Eastwood on Saturday arvo with Woodies out to prove the 87 points that Uni put on them a couple of weeks ago was just an aberration. Then the Wallabies v All Blacks at 5.30pm, a very slow rumble around the Sydney Half-Marathon course on Sunday morning before heading over to Woollahra at lunchtime to see Gordon 2nds take on Randwick 2nds followed by the first teams doing battle.

For what its worth (and thats not very much), my predictions for the results are :

Sydney Uni
New Zealand
2hrs 30 mins (or there abouts)
Gordon 2nds (go Jared)
Randwick

Any other thoughts?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

the gambler said:
I heard that some of the Gordon 2nd Grade team caught the bloke. Not sure if true or not but I really hope they didnt go easy on him if they did.

From the match report in today's Gordon newsletter:

Referee Walsh acted superbly in identifying the crowd member and calling for security. In that moment, the coward who threw the punches (it is interesting that he did not seek to take on Barry) arose from his seat and tried to slink out the back gate. Security was ordered to follow the man; but he may have escaped had it not been for second grade centre Josh Whittaker, who apparently caught the offender in the park and restrained him until the authorities arrived, tearing after him. It is fair to say that both sets of supporters were stunned at what they had seen. The incident was an utter disgrace, to rugby generally, as it was broadcast on national television and particularly to Warringah and NSW Rugby. It will be very interesting how they handle this matter in the coming weeks.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Today's semi-final clash

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY V EASTWOOD at Concord Oval (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)

Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Pat Ryan; 4. Ben McCalman, 5. Dave Dennis; 6. Pat McCutcheon, 7. Phil Waugh, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Scott Stumbles, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Peter Betham, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Nick Edwards; 15. Jacob Taylor.

Eastwood: 1. Kieran Longbottom, 2. Damien Fitzpatrick, 3. Matt Dunning; 4. Ben Hand, 5. Tom Alexander; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], Lachlan McCaffrey; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. James Foote; 11. Cam Mitchell, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. Rowan Kellam.
Referee: Steve Walsh

Uni won 81-7 just 2 weeks ago. Nathan Trist gets injured and they bring in Pete Betham...ridiculous. Uni aren't as good as last season, lacking some heft at lock, and Stumbles has nothing on Nick Hayden. But they are just a machine that just grind the life out of opponents.

Eastwood have some quality players, some genuine emerging talent. They have to take a leaf out of Gordon's book and lift the intensity.

I expect Uni to run away with it in the last 20 for a 23 point win.

Status
Not open for further replies.