• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parra GM

I have played for parra since i was 10...
I was there when everyone left and i will be here when everyone comes back...
Was at training last night and for the 1st time in 2 and a half years I can see some light at the end of the tunnel !!!
And i can feel a good rebuilding season this year

good on ya junior, as someone who couldnt sit by and watch us be trampled into dust by the coalition of the unwilling, its guys like you that are the foundations of the re-build. I know we'll be having many celebratory beers this year!

2bluesjnr11

Good on you mate for sticking with us. No big predictions from us for this year we need to be realistic but we do have long memories and will specifically remember the clubs that were dancing on our grave last year when the giant that will be two blues rugby awakens. If your a colts player tell all your mates. By the way isnt it a real shame to see wests rip themselves apart!

yeah bit of a shame...but they got our 2 best up and comers last year (the tuvitus) and have a hand full of jnrs i played with. nah sorry not a colt.
but i tell people any way... are you playing or coaching

2bluesjnr11

good on ya junior, as someone who couldnt sit by and watch us be trampled into dust by the coalition of the unwilling, its guys like you that are the foundations of the re-build. I know we'll be having many celebratory beers this year!

I love a beer....we shall have heaps...are we still getting some from picton

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK, OK, lets end the Parramatta free-love session for a while. We all would love to see you guys do well next year, but I would also hate to see TPN lose his glorious hair. So I am torn.

Changing the subject, with the extended Super season and RWC, can we expect to see a slighly diminished showing from Sydney Uni and other clubs who rely heavily on Super contracted players?

Cyril Towers (30)
OK, OK, lets end the Parramatta free-love session for a while. We all would love to see you guys do well next year, but I would also hate to see TPN lose his glorious hair. So I am torn.

Changing the subject, with the extended Super season and RWC, can we expect to see a slighly diminished showing from Sydney Uni and other clubs who rely heavily on Super contracted players?

Yep, I think it's going to be a very different season this year for exactly this reason.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

In addition to the factors you mention, barbarian, Sydney Uni has over 30 players involved in the various levels of franchise programs plus others on the Sevens circuit. It will be a challenging season.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
OK, OK, lets end the Parramatta free-love session for a while. We all would love to see you guys do well next year, but I would also hate to see TPN lose his glorious hair. So I am torn

I know , I know we are going a bit overboard but we are passionate about our joint and the thought of that first win at Granville. It will bring the house down,!!!

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
In to days Manly daily, Ed Gower has gone to manly

CLAIMS made by former Marlins coach Phil Blake that his Manly team last year had the best forward pack in the Shute Shield has helped the club net Gordon skipper Ed Gower.

Blake made the contentious call after his team belted Eastwood 53-10 in May last year.

The comment was also made in the week leading up to the Marlins hosting Gower’s Highlanders at Manly Oval.

Gower, a resident of Freshwater, read the story in The Manly Daily and was determined to prove Blake wrong.

“We lost the game and they smashed us in the forwards,” the 2011 Marlins recruit, who spent seven seasons at Gordon, said.

“I went away thinking they had the best forward pack in the competition and I wanted to be involved in it.

“They play a style that is quite tough and physical, that’s what I enjoy doing.

“I think my style is semi-suited to the team.”

Gower’s rugged approach is suited to all teams with the Marlins beating off interest from a couple of clubs, including Warringah, to secure the second-rower/flanker.

“He’s just a hard player,” Manly general manager Matt McGoldrick said.

“He’s a leader and we think he will be good for us. We are excited to have him.”

Gower, a carpenter by trade, is hoping his move to the Marlins will steer him towards a Super 15 contract.

Already, the 24-year-old has been exposed to the professional environment the game offers on a provincial level having held a Brumbies Academy contract in 2009.

But a broken arm sustained after he fell off a bike during pre-season training signalled the end of Gower’s tenure in Canberra.

“I missed most of the season and was behind the eight-ball,” he said.

“Before I broke my arm I thought I was going to have my best season ever.

“It’s that kind of environment - when you wake up and go to training, go home, eat, then go back to training again - I want to be involved in.

“If I got that opportunity again, I think I could step up.

“My dream is to play Super Rugby. To do that, I need to be in a strong forward pack.”

None stronger than the lot at Manly Oval.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I have a soft spot for the Highlanders but they have only themselves to blame. They are a strong brand in Australian rugby but they are prone from shooting themselves in the foot from time to time.

The loss of head coach Lachlan Fear to Easts in 2010 due to financial constraints at the club was the start of their downfall. When he went so did some of his players. Then there was the embarrassing farce of alleged unpaid match payments to players before a ball was kicked in the 2010 season. I understand a number of players exited the club when they were unable to be paid.

This season we have seen more players fleeing the once-powerful club to greener pastures. Eastwood seem to be a major beneficiary with Jared Barry and Chris Alcock rumored to have joined the Woodies. Two of their best juniors in Stuart and Scott Goodman have linked up with Sydney Uni.

All up I think the Gordons will not be so gay in 2011.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Good on you mate for sticking with us. No big predictions from us for this year we need to be realistic but we do have long memories and will specifically remember the clubs that were dancing on our grave last year when the giant that will be two blues rugby awakens. If your a colts player tell all your mates. By the way isnt it a real shame to see wests rip themselves apart!
Good luck to Parramatta , I hope they have a good year.Nobody likes to see the scores that occurred in some of your games last year.
But if you guys were in a grave in recent seasons , it's of your own digging , & you should be looking within for the reasons & the solutions , rather than imply that it was of other clubs doing.
And I find it a little hypocritical that you complain of some of your players
going to other clubs on the one hand , & then on the other tell of the rebuilding
in your club , which is occurring at the expense of other clubs .
It's unfortunate to lose players , but it is a regular occurrence each year , particularly recently , & particularly in the clubs in the west of Sydney ,
although Gordon seems to have lost more than their share of late.
Anyway good luck in 2011 .

P

Parra GM

Good luck to Parramatta , I hope they have a good year.Nobody likes to see the scores that occurred in some of your games last year.
But if you guys were in a grave in recent seasons , it's of your own digging , & you should be looking within for the reasons & the solutions , rather than imply that it was of other clubs doing.
And I find it a little hypocritical that you complain of some of your players
going to other clubs on the one hand , & then on the other tell of the rebuilding
in your club , which is occurring at the expense of other clubs .

It's unfortunate to lose players , but it is a regular occurrence each year , particularly recently , & particularly in the clubs in the west of Sydney ,
although Gordon seems to have lost more than their share of late.
Anyway good luck in 2011 .

Who said we're blaming others? You're correct, it was of our doing. At the end of 2008 when the club lost its major source of income those responsible for it occurring couldnt have left quick enough. They left people like the coaching staff of Campton/Leeds/Hollins with absolutely no funds to put sides on the field etc. Volunteers who were forced out because they didnt like the way the club was run came back to dig the club out of the mess that was left. A new board of directors was elected and yes, they are working the way out. There is a long way to go no question, but changes are occuring that will have an impact on the entire competition.

What we are complaining about, is the fact that there are a number of clubs, one neighbour with NO junior base at all in particular, who were motivated to remove the club from the competition. This was only out of their own greed, not for the good of rugby in Sydney's west. They dont realise that it could've been or still might be them in a similar situation if their major funding source walked away.

Players leave clubs for any number of reasons, and there's no doubting that we have lost as much if not more than anyone in recent years, it is the nature of the competition at the moment.....unfortunately. However I disagree with your comment that I have highlighted above......we have been forced to look outside the state and in some cases the country to facilitate the on field re-build. I cant see how that is at the expense of other clubs. I think what the other clubs are worried about, is that we are getting our shit together. And the biggest threat to our neighbours in particular is that we manage to retain our juniors and colts coming through and ultimately our grade players. Then if the odd player who left in recent years decides to come back that will then have those clubs in a panic......................and nothing would please me more.

One final point I'd like to make, the rebuild is only possible because of the players and volunteers who stood by the club in 2010. Nothing at all would be possible without them and they are the foundations of the new house we're building!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
oh, I want the goss, create a seperate user account if you are actually the Parra GM, or just tell us if you'renot. Eastwood, West Harbour or Penrith? Eastwood have a Junior base im pretty sure, so does wests, so maybe the emus?

S

skullring

oh, I want the goss, create a seperate user account if you are actually the Parra GM, or just tell us if you'renot. Eastwood, West Harbour or Penrith? Eastwood have a Junior base im pretty sure, so does wests, so maybe the emus?

It was obviously Wests 'Parra GM' was referring to, Sherlock

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well sorry for not being well versed in the junior systems or speculation as to who hates who in grade and district rugby.

P

Parra GM

There was more than 1 club, but 1 neighbour in particular

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I read in the paper this morning that a fellow called Mark Ella will be the Randwick backs coach from Colts to grade.

Anybody heard about this blow-in before? What would he know about how backs should play?

Status
Not open for further replies.