• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

It's been at least 6 years since Penrith had a tv game. Add to that the fact highlights of their games have not been shown once this year! The Emus have come a long way over the past couple of years. Maybe they should be rewarded?

Penrith are the bottom side with 2 wins. In 2010 they finished second last beating Parramatta. I don't think this should mean we have to have ABC show a Penrith game. People want to see S15 players and top 6 teams.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Penrith are the bottom side with 2 wins. In 2010 they finished second last beating Parramatta. I don't think this should mean we have to have ABC show a Penrith game. People want to see S15 players and top 6 teams.

So what do you do next year when none of the Super players will be back? Your quote is a typical quote of a person who has had their head in the sand in relation to the strength of the comp and where it should be played. The game needs the clubs in the western suburbs.......showing them, even once a year would make it so much easier for those clubs in being able to secure funding from sponsorship etc.

But hey, lets ignore that and leave it as an eastern suburbs and northern beaches competition only.................

cod-footy-repeat

Frank Row (1)
But hey, lets ignore that and leave it as an eastern suburbs and northern beaches competition only.................

Yeah right northern beaches who have featured in a grand total of 2 televised games this season despite Manly being in second place for most of the season and the rats now having arguably the most interest generating player in the comp. Do not see how 1st vs 2nd is not automatically match of the round.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Perhaps, there should be more coverage full stop?

Across the ABC channels, Friday, Saturday Sunday could all potentially be match days - personally I'd love to see more club rugby on the TV. I'm consistently astounded by the rubbish that finds itself broadcast.

However, as with most things, dollars decide. With some clubs apparently experiencing financial difficulties, I see it taking a while before any meaningful expansion of FTA coverage comes to pass.

Perhaps off topic, but related - perhaps the anti-siphoning rules should be changed to include the S15 finals? Personally, I believe that the large crowds and interest in the community generated by an Australian team in the final would justify its inclusion on the list.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Across the ABC channels, Friday, Saturday Sunday could all potentially be match days - personally I'd love to see more club rugby on the TV. I'm consistently astounded by the rubbish that finds itself broadcast.

However, as with most things, dollars decide. With some clubs apparently experiencing financial difficulties, I see it taking a while before any meaningful expansion of FTA coverage comes to pass.

Perhaps off topic, but related - perhaps the anti-siphoning rules should be changed to include the S15 finals? Personally, I believe that the large crowds and interest in the community generated by an Australian team in the final would justify its inclusion on the list.

If the SupeRugby finals were not exclusive to Foxtel, they would pay less for the rights.

Do you really think that an all South African final, for example, would be worth giving up good money for? How much would an FTA channel offer for a nothing event like that?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

I could understand a Sunday match being shown on the ABC, but not a Friday night. To try and compete with Better Homes & Gardens and the rubbish on Channel Nine would be too difficult.

Two matches a weekend with all clubs being televised at least three times a season would allow for increased exposure for sponsorship etc.
It also wouldn't hurt a few club to look at the very real possibility of playing on a Sunday when there is little junior/subbies rugby on. From my point of view, I would love to get out to a Premiership match and see the likes of Eastwood, Manly, Uni and Parramatta playing, however with my commitments to my Subbies rugby club, it makes it too difficult.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Wamberai, key word written was 'Australian'. I wouldnt expect them to show a finals match without an Australian team in it, common sense applies here.

At any rate, for rugby to ever grow in Australia it will eventually need to consider FTA coverage amongst other things (like investment in grassroots and a third tier national comp).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wamberai, key word written was 'Australian'. I wouldnt expect them to show a finals match without an Australian team in it, common sense applies here.

At any rate, for rugby to ever grow in Australia it will eventually need to consider FTA coverage amongst other things (like investment in grassroots and a third tier national comp).

Television contracts are agreed years in advance. If an anti-siphoning rule applied, it would have to apply every year, whether or not an Australian team makes it to the final (and, again, what happens if the Australian team has to play at 1 am our time in South Africa?). Sorry, mate, we do not want anti-siphoning for the Super 15, it would decimate the value to the only credible broadcaster, Fox Sports.

It would be wonderful if Super Rugby was on FTA, it would also be wonderful if there were a proper 3rd tier competition in operation. However, neither of these two things is going to happen in my lifetime, absent a huge endowment from a mining magnate, or similar, to provide the subsidy.

Rugby is going to continue to be an important niche sport in Australia - the only possible change would be the introduction of a hybrid code. That is probably likelier than FTA coverage for rugby - but it would require a huge revolution in thinking.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can we not dwell on the fta rights or an arc like competion or even how many games that can be shown on any given weekend. When possible surely 1 vs 2 is the most wothy game for the spectator unless it is week 2 or 3 of the competion. Slash who I sometimes disagree with brings up a great point that people such as Keithy continue to overlook. Exposure equals sponsorship due to the companies logo or product being in the public eye. Increased sponsorship equates to money which can be directed into securing your players and in the recruitment of other players. These lower clubs are effectively being hung out to dry and his comment about a seaboard competition will be a disaster for rugby. I also agree that in the first round evey team should be shown at least once.
As of the weekend Penrith had scored 43 tries, 2Blues 42, Souths 42, Wests 46, Gordon 45 and Rats 42 so it is not as if some of these teams are boring. Penrith and Parramatta average over 3 a game and their leading try scorer is equal 3rd. He's their fullback Ateloa Okati I wonder if he goes well in a counter stuation. I guess most of us will never know.
Finally the Emus have 2 players with S14/15 experience Keithy plus a few Islander internationals.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I definitely think the TV games need to be spread around, at least in the first half of the season. I've never seen the Emu's play and it would have been great to see them and Parra square off earlier in the season. Once the top six starts to take shape it's perfectly reasonable to be focusing on those teams. The obvious choice for the TV game this week, however, is Manly and Eastwood. Randwick weren't great to look at last week, injuries notwithstanding.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually I will find out about their fullback as I've already got August 6th marked on my calender. Brown Hornett i 'v seen them play live afew times at Manly so I am close to a grond that has this competition. You unfortunately are not. Channel 2 did show brief highlights after the Rats win last year. The last time I saw them play on TV was when Nathan Blacklock, Tui Talaia and Peter Besselring were playing. That was some time ago.
No wonder David Dennis left the area.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I wasn't originally surprised to see Souths lose to Wests but I am now given that Souths had Ulugia, Palmer, Vaea, Grayson Hart, Kemp, Vuna and Cummins.

K

Keithy

Slash I just hope nest year Penrith and Parramatta can field 3 colts sides each and meet one of the basic requirements to play in the grade comp. But hey, lets ignore that and leave it to the eastern suburbs and northern beaches to field enough teams to make these competitions.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Warringah have already forfeited a 3rd colts game this year and so have Souths. Do some research please.

K

Keithy

Can we not dwell on the fta rights or an arc like competion or even how many games that can be shown on any given weekend. When possible surely 1 vs 2 is the most wothy game for the spectator unless it is week 2 or 3 of the competion. Slash who I sometimes disagree with brings up a great point that people such as Keithy continue to overlook. Exposure equals sponsorship due to the companies logo or product being in the public eye. Increased sponsorship equates to money which can be directed into securing your players and in the recruitment of other players. These lower clubs are effectively being hung out to dry and his comment about a seaboard competition will be a disaster for rugby. I also agree that in the first round evey team should be shown at least once.
As of the weekend Penrith had scored 43 tries, 2Blues 42, Souths 42, Wests 46, Gordon 45 and Rats 42 so it is not as if some of these teams are boring. Penrith and Parramatta average over 3 a game and their leading try scorer is equal 3rd. He's their fullback Ateloa Okati I wonder if he goes well in a counter stuation. I guess most of us will never know.
Finally the Emus have 2 players with S14/15 experience Keithy plus a few Islander internationals.

lily i glad the emus have 2 players with s14/15 experience but I said super players AND TOP 6 TEAMS. When was Penrith in the top 6?

K

Keithy

Warringah have already forfeited a 3rd colts game this year and so have Souths. Do some research please.

Forfiets don't equal not playing in the comp. from the start of the season and playing your only team in colts 3. The comp. allows for forfeits according to my research.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Slash I just hope nest year Penrith and Parramatta can field 3 colts sides each and meet one of the basic requirements to play in the grade comp. But hey, lets ignore that and leave it to the eastern suburbs and northern beaches to field enough teams to make these competitions.

What does that have to do with whether or not their first grade team is shown on TV? If the ARU worked a little bit harder with Penrith & Parramatta they might be able to field 3 colts sides. Unfortunately the best talent that they have in the junior ranks move to the likes of Eastwood, West Harbour, Uni, etc. who have stronger recent histories in the colts competition.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Kiethy you need to take your meds so you can read between the lines. The issue of forfeits relates to your quote. These 2 Eastern Seaboard teams have struggled to put all teams on the field. I dont understand why you cant be constructive but I guess you are another one of these elitist prats who think that the GPS competition and a few teams like Uni are the be all and end all.
Yes the issue of them not being able to meet all competition rules is problematic but can you propose an alternative? I doubt it. Maybe we could kick the 2blues out and Emus out and then promote the 2 best performing subbies clubs which this year is Drummoyne and Colleagues.
Easts wouldn't have to far for a homegame and nor would West Harbour.
In relation to your AND TOP 6 TEAMS. The Rats are 22 points out of 6th place at the moment. If they were able to field a team which included Pek Cowan, Luke Holmes,Salesi Manu(OZUnder 20s), Hugh Pyle, Michael Lipman, Beau Robinson, Brett Sheehan, Danny Cipriani, Pat McCabe,Mark Gerrard and Hamish Angus(oz Sevens) would they be worthy or do they still not meet your criteria..
Anyway you have totally missed the point of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.