• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They are entitled to bleat about their injury toll.
But I agree that any team without a positive win/loss ratio should not be participating in the finals series.I have made the point before, I believe a bowl/plate concept,commencing after a full round is preferable to having an 8 team semi.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I agree with an 8 team concept as it maintains interest right up until the last round & beyond for a greater number of supporters & players .This interest
would be non existent for many under the old format .There are only 5 teams with a positive for & against ratio in first grade , so are you promoting a 4 team semi format ?
Who would really be interested in winning a "bowl/plate".
Maintaining & promoting interest in Sydney's ailing Rugby competition is more important than dishing up more of the same old predictable stuff that we have had in the past , each year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even with an 8 team format for the finals, the Wicks have missed out.

How long is it since there were no Wicks in the finals? Troubling times down in Brook Street.

Their Colts programme seems to be performing better than their Grade programme.

Will they be able to retain the talent coming through if they stay in the cellar in 1st grade?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The grand final must be played at a decent venue. Not bloody Concord Oval, that is just a disgrace.

Comes down to $ for ground rental, and availability.

I recall being told about 5 years ago that SFS ground rental starts at $35, 000.

Concord was good enough for a RWC 1/4 final in '87.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I thought last years grand final was a pretty good spectacle , as was the atmosphere ,with decent supporter numbers for Eastwood ,in particular , & Uni .
I think it is a good size ground for a Rugby grand final , plenty of seats close to the game , & adequate parking , & the pitch is one of the best in Sydney.
Playing a g.f. in town is an atmosphere killer ,given the number of people who turn up to watch.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with an 8 team concept as it maintains interest right up until the last round & beyond for a greater number of supporters & players .This interest
would be non existent for many under the old format .There are only 5 teams with a positive for & against ratio in first grade , so are you promoting a 4 team semi format ?
Who would really be interested in winning a "bowl/plate".
Maintaining & promoting interest in Sydney's ailing Rugby competition is more important than dishing up more of the same old predictable stuff that we have had in the past , each year.
Agree to disagree on format but agree we must do something to generate interest and revenue in the Shute Shield and feed it through to junior clubs - the Waratahs can't do it. The slow strangulation of the competition to suit the interests of the elite level is palpable.

That the lead rugby writer for the Fairfax press devotes more column inches to speculating on the next Waratah coach and promoting his obvious favourite for the role rather than decent club rugby coverage at least every Monday and Friday is appalling. His effort in today's Sun Herald is a disgrace, almost gleefully covering Shute Shield woes. No coverage of yesterday's results and nothing otherwise positive from that scribe who is no doubt royally duchessed by the complacent entrenched rugby bureaucracy on a regular basis. The other codes engage their grass roots and the results in terms of crowds and junior numbers speak for themselves.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
For the Shute Shield final? Reeeeeallly?

You'd get 5,000 tops I reckon.
We used to get well over 10,000 as I recall when it was at SFS . But the Tahs were likeable too then. Concord is not a venue to excite any of the top 4's supporters and that's where the match up will come from

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
In 1929 in a club game between Northern Suburbs & Western Suburbs at Concord Oval , the police had to close the gates for safety reasons , the crowd being in excess of 11,000 .
This remains the record crowd attendance at a suburban ground ( ref. "Against All Odds " Harry Kimble )
That was then , this is now , as was the "15,000" at the SFS.
Obviously the ease with which one attends Concord Oval or any other venue is related to where you are coming from.The Eastwood crowd at last years grand final looked pretty happy to be there IMO.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Ah yes, you are right. I have corrected my previous post, and for the sake of convenience I reproduce the corrected table below:

1 Eastwood 62
2 Manly 56
3 Uni 53
4 Souths 51
5 Norths 43
6 Parra 43
7 Warringah 33
8 Easts 32
9 Wests 32
10 Gordon 26
11 Randwick 23
12 Penrith 20

Interesting final round with a few pemutations of the final eight still possible.

- Manly Vs Easts
- Warringah Vs Penrith
- Randwick Vs Wests

Easts will be desperate considering a loss this weekend could spell the end to their season. They will be vying for an upset victory by Randwick over Wests (providing Manly get the job done this weekend after unexpected loss against Norths).

1) Eastwood Vs 4) Souths
2) Manly Vs 3) Uni
5) Parra Vs 8) Wests / Easts
6) Norths Vs 7) Warringah

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone know if there is any chance of a reprieve for Easts' loss of points prior to the weekend?

It seems that they hit a rough patch just before the cut and given they were in the top half of the draw, had little chance to regain their momentum.

Although I'm not sure why they've lost those competition points, it sounds like a particularly tough punishment should they miss out.

If they do, I can't see Easts supporting the format next year

Status
Not open for further replies.