• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
OK coach I'll bite. What exactly is the problem with Merrylands? One of the better playing surfaces in the comp, undercover seating, BBQ, canteen, plenty of parking. The visitors changeroom may be a little small but the showers work and unless you really are a coach or just enjoy hanging around changerooms, that shouldn't bother you. MAybe you're just a prejudiced dinosaur?

I'll concede I haven't been to Merrylands this year so things may have changed since last year, but my criticism is from a spectator's viewing perspective. Yes there is some undercover seating (with no backs on the seats) as long as you don't mind having half the field obscured by the camera platform. The elevated seating is minimal and has no cover over it and the public toilets are terrible.
My main point (tongue in cheek) is that if the SRU expected the 8 team playoffs were going to attract interest and large crowds they should have scheduled them at suitable venues. Merrylands can't handle a crowd (seated in comfort with a good view of the game) of more than a couple of hundred.

INCOMMING !!!!

By the way dinosaurs are extinct (as far as I know) and I don't know what prejudices they ever had: please advise!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It would also be nice if the SRU reacted to the criticism that's been voiced over the last couple of years about the method of selecting the grounds for the playoff series to ensure the games are either played at neutral grounds or at least the team which finished higher on the ladder has the home ground advantage. It's possible this year that Eastwood could play both their pre-GF games at TG Millner and Manly could also have a home ground advantage in one of their games.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll concede I haven't been to Merrylands this year so things may have changed since last year, but my criticism is from a spectator's viewing perspective. Yes there is some undercover seating (with no backs on the seats) as long as you don't mind having half the field obscured by the camera platform. The elevated seating is minimal and has no cover over it and the public toilets are terrible.
My main point (tongue in cheek) is that if the SRU expected the 8 team playoffs were going to attract interest and large crowds they should have scheduled them at suitable venues. Merrylands can't handle a crowd (seated in comfort with a good view of the game) of more than a couple of hundred.

INCOMMING !!!!

By the way dinosaurs are extinct (as far as I know) and I don't know what prejudices they ever had: please advise!

OK, sorry, the prejudiced dinoasaur thing was over the top and I understand your point, but there will be some sort of a crowd and many of them won't have attended a shute Shield semi before. I have been at Merrylands with a large crowd and while you may be in the open sitting on grass or an old telegraph pole with splinters harpooning your arse, the atmosphere, being so close to the field, can be terrific. Parra threw their hand up when the invitations to host went out and got an opportunity, let's see how it goes.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
OK, sorry, the prejudiced dinoasaur thing was over the top and I understand your point, but there will be some sort of a crowd and many of them won't have attended a shute Shield semi before. I have been at Merrylands with a large crowd and while you may be in the open sitting on grass or an old telegraph pole with splinters harpooning your arse, the atmosphere, being so close to the field, can be terrific. Parra threw their hand up when the invitations to host went out and got an opportunity, let's see how it goes.

Fair enough!

BTW, surely Glen Christini is a shoo in for coach of the year?

T

Tahboy

I reckon John maxwell and the Randwick board will get the votes from the other clubs for what they did this year and will get it again next year for appointing Wade who Kelly

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Next you will be telling us that the Randwick Board are in line to fill the vacancies on the Tahs inc. Board.:)

I reckon that there are plenty of chasps out there in clubland that would embrace Maxwell being appointed Coach of the Year simply to remind the Wicks of their stellar 2012 performance, which in many respects aped the performance of the state team.

Now there is a horrible thought, some may be tempted to consider it nightmarish: with Maxwell now no longer at Coogee Oval, what are the chances that he has jumped on the 372 bus to Moore Park for another coaching role?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon John maxwell and the Randwick board will get the votes from the other clubs for what they did this year and will get it again next year for appointing Wade who Kelly

Apparently Kelly was selected from a field of 15 candidates.
I believe Randwick still has a policy of only appointing coaches who have played for the club.
Anyone else think it could be time to scrap this idea?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My slightly tongue in cheek remarks are based on the fact that the wicks have underperformed this year. If they limit themselves to coaches who have played for the wicks, then when this years cohort of players are lining up to coach in about 10 years, they may be in a bit of trouble.

Back on thread. You get the feeling that the Wicks seem to be a club stuck in the past and living the glories of the shamatuer 80's. Unless they move with the times, they will remain stuck in the past and more progressive outfits like the Mighty Two Blues (and Belly) will leave them behind.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It would also be nice if the SRU reacted to the criticism that's been voiced over the last couple of years about the method of selecting the grounds for the playoff series to ensure the games are either played at neutral grounds or at least the team which finished higher on the ladder has the home ground advantage. It's possible this year that Eastwood could play both their pre-GF games at TG Millner and Manly could also have a home ground advantage in one of their games.
As yo suggested the position on the ladder - good to see this happening.

T

Tahboy

Kelly did a Bradbury as the other candidates said no plus 2 of the coaching selectors are involved with his company, stallion rugby

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
A 36-22 win to the Two Blues today to celebrate Andrew Cox's 100th First Grade game (and his 101st grade game).

Other results:
Eastwood 11 Norths 10
Uni 45 Souths 17
Manly 55 Easts 21
Warringah 46 Penrith 7
Randwick 59 Wests 38

Table:
1 Eastwood
2 Manly
3 Uni
4 Souths
5 Parra
6 Norths
7 Warringah
8 Wests
9 Easts
10 Randwick
11 Gordon
12 Penrith

Semis:
Eastwood v Souths
Manly v Uni
Parra v Wests
Norths v Warringah

Cyril Towers (30)
Tim Davidson played his 100th game as Captain of Uni in today's big win over Southern Districts. 100 games for 92 wins. Say what you like about Uni but Davo is a champion bloke and a champion rugby player.

Status
Not open for further replies.