• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Cherry pick also rans of another code?
There would be more than 50 guys in the SS that would have been good enough to play NYC but not NRL, if that was their career path of choice.
Why should he be given an opportunity in front of these guys?
I'm not saying he should never be given an opportunity, just that he should get in line and prove his worth like everyone else.
Bear in mind, he finished NYC in 2011 so he is not giving anything up to play Rugby.If you don't count getting snotted in a local A grade for a couple of hungee a win.

My point is that union will never be able to compete with league when it comes to brilliant 16 year old kids who play both codes. If they are that good they are on rookie contracts that tie up parents, schools with more than a little cash, all worth more than what Lee Grant has suggested fringe Waratahs get. They then skill them up and develop them physically at a rate that is incomprehensible to those involved in union. Four nights a week plus weekends nine months a year. One club I know had a budget of $1 million for its juniors 18 years and under. And by the time they have 2 years of Toyota Cup they are very skilled and physically well developed. Of the hundreds of kids who have gone through their system a NRL club might get 3 or 4 playing in their first grade each year, though it is often less. For the rest, the prospect of playing A Grade against Larpa 4 times a year, can be very unappetising.

These are the kids someone should be looking at. Often they have only been out of rugby for a couple of years and would happily join a union club if a bit of petrol money was thrown in or for just the hope of being a successful footy player. The thing is that we have to do the looking, as these kids' agents aren't going to suggest that maybe a career in amateur/semi-professional union might be a good idea. I just think that these kids have a better long term chance of success for our code than the likes of Folau, Sailor, Tuquiri etc, who have always been league guys dressed in union clothes. For example, as a Bulldogs supporter, I'm feeling very grateful towards the Waratahs for building up Folau this year and preparing him for a season in the mighty blue and white next year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you think these guys train any harder or any smarter than Sydney Uni you are mistaken.Most SS clubs are doing similiar things, but are not as well resourced.
I suppose where we diverge is the worth we each put on NYC.
IMO they actually de skill them to prepare them for NRL. It's safety first. most tries are scored through a kick or a one on one mis match.
it's the stronger body rather than skill or a deft ball that results in a try.
Each game you see 2 on 1's butchered, it's not high quality, but they are fit and strong.
As I have said before, they should be welcome in this game, but no special treatment thanks.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
If you think these guys train any harder or any smarter than Sydney Uni you are mistaken.Most SS clubs are doing similiar things, but are not as well resourced.
IMO they actually de skill them to prepare them for NRL. It's safety first. most tries are scored through a kick or a one on one mis match.
Each game you see 2 on 1's butchered, it's not high quality, but they are fit and strong.
As I have said before, they should be welcome in this game, but no special treatment thanks.

I really think your generalising....

Edit: and naive to think that an amateur club would train as much or as hard as trainign with a proffesional team

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)

I suggest you watch replays of last years U20 Rugby World Cup. The Oz boys looked physically diminished by most other teams and it was a shame they wern't in the position to butcher tries.

While USyd has a great program, with the exception of a few, they don't get kids until they are 18 years old. Each league club has had a squad of 30-40 kids who have done 3 years of intensive skills and physical training by their 18th birthday. This is a big head start.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I really think your generalising..

Edit: and naive to think that an amateur club would train as much or as hard as trainign with a proffesional team
They don't put nearly the same hours as the NRL players.There are quite a few schoolkids who play NYC,and they fit their training around School(and School training in some cases)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
While USyd has a great program, with the exception of a few, they don't get kids until they are 18 years old. Each league club has had a squad of 30-40 kids who have done 3 years of intensive skills and physical training by their 18th birthday. This is a big head start.
I thought we were discussing players who have finished playing 20's?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
They don't put nearly the same hours as the NRL players.There are quite a few schoolkids who play NYC,and they fit their training around School(and School training in some cases)

I can tell you that their pre season is just as hard as the NRL players and their isnt alot of schoolkids doing that...and the ones that are most of time have a deal cut with their school in regards to workload and what not

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suggest you watch replays of last years U20 Rugby World Cup. The Oz boys looked physically diminished by most other teams and it was a shame they wern't in the position to butcher tries.

Because we picked colts players over grade.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I know it is a slow news day. Once again it shit's me when I open this thread and am subjected to another pie in the sky idea about how to reform grassroots rugby. The thread is 2013 Shute Shield, as opposed to how the ARU dropped the ball on the so called 3rd tier.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I know it is a slow news day. Once again it shit's me when I open this thread and am subjected to another pie in the sky idea about how to reform grassroots rugby. The thread is 2013 Shute Shield, as opposed to how the ARU dropped the ball on the so called 3rd tier.

The Shute Shield is a great 3T however can also be improved / built on with the support of the ARU.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My beef was that the SS should be a feeder for the next levels of rugby and that the waratahs were trailing a young mungo player. Still, it was only one player so perhaps too much fuss is unwarranted. I originally asked peoples thoughts on the Waratah extended squad and whether there were any up and coming SS players that should be considered.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Well no Gordon players deserve it yet.
Jordy Reid was best player in shute shield last year in my opinion with Gilbert not far behind.
On the league player front, Tuatarra-morrison (sp?) is a perfect example of a young guy coming over from league and really doing well in SS and moving on potentially to bigger and better things.
Wingers and centres in league will also do well in union.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Sigh !!!
It's hard to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.