• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Most of them have played for the Club for >5 years and attract very few points or even none.
Problem with the point system is the club only has too say he is a junior or his brother or father played for the club and that's taken as gospel
To work the points system correctly the NSWRU would need to employ a full time person.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Problem with the point system is the club only has too say he is a junior or his brother or father played for the club and that's taken as gospel
To work the points system correctly the NSWRU would need to employ a full time person.

I agree, there's plenty of room for rorting the system.
Souths in the play offs last year (and other clubs have done the same thing) ran on a low point front rower to stay below the points ceiling and then replaced him with the player they wanted to name in the starting line up. The were able to do this as the rules state that reserves' points don't count if the club's second grade is not playing on the weekend. There's also been many instances of clubs running a player on in a lower grade for a couple of minutes which qualifies him as a non-fresh reserve (no points) for 1st grade.
The system is better than nothing, but your point is very valid: it would need some full time resource to police it to make it fool proof.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
It's just a shame that more players should be playing the game at SS level for what they can give to the game, not what the game can give them in term of $$. Well done Man of Faith.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone have any thoughts on a yearly promotion and relegation system between Shute Shield and Subbies?

(It might give the likes of Balmain a chance to eventually show what they can offer!)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd like to see NSW Subbies rep team included within an 8 team 3rd NSW / ACT tier, but that's enough about 3T

B

BellyTwoBlues

Belly does it again.

Well played Sir.

Great Story. Will we see you at the Park in 50 years time?

Yes. But hopefully in no other capacity than a drunk old boy cheering them on from the hill. Coz if I'm still working there in 50 years then they're in trouble!

B

BellyTwoBlues

Great news. Two Blues will be playing our round 10 match at SFS as the curtain raiser to the British Lions v Waratahs match on June 15. Great experience for the players from us and Norths and a great opportunity to promote club rugby.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Other than Balmain, would any Subbies club want that? I suspect most clubs want to play Subbies football.

You would be surprised. Drummoyne definitely want back in, Collegues could show many of the SS Club how to do it and Brothers are on the rise and could possibly hold greater ambition if the opportunity was there with SS representation....and Balmain of course.

I also wouldn't put it past many of the Old Boys Clubs tapping into the private school revenue streams as Schools could see the recruitment advantage pointing out their programs can get them from U9 right through to SS representation. Come to think of it, with the private school networks behind them, the advantage for these Clubs has the potential to be huge. Actually now that I think about it, think of how much money could be poured into SS if old boys felt they could leverage off a SS association rather than just a Subbies one.

I'm not suggesting that rugby stick with the lether patch brigade at all. Just accepting the reality that there's a lot of money in those Old Boy networks that could be chanelled for the benefit of rugby as a whole.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
As a side note to all of this. I would happily welcome any GAGR contributor (trolls included) to come and play at Gordon this year - be it Colts or Grade. The club has recently elected a new Board and is looking to rebuild from the Ground up - and it starts with winning the Henderson Cup.

I'm coaching 4's so it will definitely be a grass roots no-BS campaign. We are currently training at Bales park Chatswood on Tues and Thursdays. Our first Trial for 4s is on the 23rd of March against Warringah at Rat Park. During the season Thursday will be the only compulsory training for 4th Grade - Tuesday will include work with 1 and 2's as skills development.

I haven't been involved with the club for a while so I don't know any of the politics of the last few years - so its a fresh start.

*bring on the sledging GAGR - I'm not scared*.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
As a side note to all of this. I would happily welcome any GAGR contributor (trolls included) to come and play at Gordon this year - be it Colts or Grade. The club has recently elected a new Board and is looking to rebuild from the Ground up - and it starts with winning the Henderson Cup.

I'm coaching 4's so it will definitely be a grass roots no-BS campaign. We are currently training at Bales park Chatswood on Tues and Thursdays. Our first Trial for 4s is on the 23rd of March against Warringah at Rat Park. During the season Thursday will be the only compulsory training for 4th Grade - Tuesday will include work with 1 and 2's as skills development.

I haven't been involved with the club for a while so I don't know any of the politics of the last few years - so its a fresh start.

Good luck Gibbo. While not out of the woods yet, the trees are thinner for us at Merrylands. This year we have excellent numbers in Grade and Colts. It starts with a vision for where you are taking the club, clearly and consistently communicated and zero tolerance for those not on board with the vision. Sounds corny, but it's very much a case of 'if we build it they will come'. Stick with it and I look forward to playing the Highlanders this year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I'll give you a tip about coaching 4th grade: watch the 5th grade coach when he's telling you who's playing well.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)

Would take you up on this offer if I was in Sydney - from what I've read on here, the important people at Gordon are doing great things in terms of building the club.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

Scared? What's there to be scared of.....other than a big night out during finals:D

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
i-know-nothing.gif

Andrew Sampson

Frank Row (1)
Nice to see some talk of a 2nd division. For those that don't know back in the mid 90's club rugby was restructured to roughly resemble Rugby League after having up to 3 divisions of grade rugby on top of subbies, Penrith (about the 17th strongest club) was promoted while stronger clubs like Hornsby, Drummoyne, Uni of NSW and even Liverpool were banished to subbies. Despite the efforts and ambitions of all those involved in these clubs and their desire to promote and foster rugby in their "geniuine" districts the NSWRU with their grand plans rationalised the comp. This was like a death sentence to these clubs and those where rugby was still developing eg Campbelltown, Blacktown etc. The idea was for Penrith and Parramatta to be THE clubs of the west looking after juniors, bringing in all the crowds and sponsors, taking the game to a whole new level in the west of Sydney. Obviously this hasn't happened. Instead we've seen Drummoyne dominate the Kentwell Cup, what should be Sydney Uni's greatest competitor Uni Of NSW languishing in 2nd division subbies having a jolly good time and the still growing districts in the south west and north west playing various grades of subbies rugby with little local profile and even less local respect. Clubs have effectively been told to do away with ambition, send your kids to one of the "powerhouses" if/when they're good enough, plug away year to year providing an institution for blokes to get pissed every weekend, enhancing the image of the whole game in the local community. "The game for private school wankers" doesn't sound very nice but for those in the greater part of Sydney this is the perception and until rugby gets serious about having local clubs playing serious rugby it's sure to remain. Bring back 2nd division!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Nice to see some talk of a 2nd division. For those that don't know back in the mid 90's club rugby was restructured to roughly resemble Rugby League after having up to 3 divisions of grade rugby on top of subbies, Penrith (about the 17th strongest club) was promoted while stronger clubs like Hornsby, Drummoyne, Uni of NSW and even Liverpool were banished to subbies. Despite the efforts and ambitions of all those involved in these clubs and their desire to promote and foster rugby in their "geniuine" districts the NSWRU with their grand plans rationalised the comp. This was like a death sentence to these clubs and those where rugby was still developing eg Campbelltown, Blacktown etc. The idea was for Penrith and Parramatta to be THE clubs of the west looking after juniors, bringing in all the crowds and sponsors, taking the game to a whole new level in the west of Sydney. Obviously this hasn't happened. Instead we've seen Drummoyne dominate the Kentwell Cup, what should be Sydney Uni's greatest competitor Uni Of NSW languishing in 2nd division subbies having a jolly good time and the still growing districts in the south west and north west playing various grades of subbies rugby with little local profile and even less local respect. Clubs have effectively been told to do away with ambition, send your kids to one of the "powerhouses" if/when they're good enough, plug away year to year providing an institution for blokes to get pissed every weekend, enhancing the image of the whole game in the local community. "The game for private school wankers" doesn't sound very nice but for those in the greater part of Sydney this is the perception and until rugby gets serious about having local clubs playing serious rugby it's sure to remain. Bring back 2nd division!
Penrith was never 17th strongest, and know where near it.
There was a push for growth out west by Mike Clay of SRU and others, and 20 years later there has been no growth.
The lack of growth should not fall on the shoulders of the Emu's or the Two Blus, it should fall on the holders of the NSWRU.

If NSWRU stimulated rugby in the juniors out west 15-20 years ago i believe the Emus may have ranked a little higher now.

I recall Drummoyne was relegated in 95, in 97 the Manly v Eastwood grand final included 4 Dirty Reds, and their were 4 others with other clubs who finished top 5. So Andrew i think you are a little out or biased. Timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.