• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The current Shute Shield could actually be promoted better - some years ago the Brisbane comp featured one match a week played at Ballymore under lights, which was televised.

Nobody is going to pay to televise or sponsor a match played at Sydney University Oval, or most other suburban ovals, it doesn't matter who plays.

So the first step is actually, not which teams play each other, but when and where they play.
7 did it in the late 70s with D Lord and moose from Redfern oval, IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Eastwood and Manly are both playing trials against the Newcastle/Hunter rep team in early March. I'd assume it's just one grade/one colts team from each coming up to play, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if there has been discussion of perhaps playing one Sunday afternoon game a round in the SS? A match of the round type deal? It would be tough to move 4 games onto a different day, but it would be ok if the Sunday games were released in the draw at the start of the year, clubs and players could plan for it. I recall last year a Uni v Eastwood game on a Sunday drawing a massive crowd out at Uni, maybe putting a game a week up against less competition of kids sport, other club rugby etc could be an option.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Under the current ABC TV deal, the Saturday afternoon game is televised live, so that might be a complicating factor, if attractive games are scheduled for Sunday afternoons.

As I have alluded to earlier, for the life of me I cannot understand why SS does not attract better crowds. The standard of rugby is pretty good, and the competition is fairly even during the year, before the stacking begins at the finals stage.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The proposed Sunday game may be more attractive to ABC TV (or other broadcasters) if it was at the same venue as the Saturday game.

There is a huge amount of set up and take down time needed to televise a game, and I could understand why the broadcaster would baulk at having to do that twice in one weekend.

This then leads into an argument of neutral venues, advertising contras, gate, canteen and BBQ revenue sharing, availability of 2nd grade players to back up as the bench for the 1s, etc.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Under the current ABC TV deal, the Saturday afternoon game is televised live, so that might be a complicating factor, if attractive games are scheduled for Sunday afternoons.

As I have alluded to earlier, for the life of me I cannot understand why SS does not attract better crowds. The standard of rugby is pretty good, and the competition is fairly even during the year, before the stacking begins at the finals stage.

Sunday afternoon games would at least draw some of the crowds who are watching Private school games on Saturday afternoon.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Id love to see the Shute Shield on tv as normal on ABC 3pm Saturday Live for NSW/ACT viewers and then a replay of the QLD game on Sunday at 3pm on ABC for NSW/ACT viewers...and vise versa

If there was an option to have 2 live shute shield games though - Sat/Sun then that would be fantastic but I cant see them putting on 2 live games every weekend.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Story I heard from a good source was that they wanted to build a gym underneath the grandstand. They made an application to council offering a $100,000 investment. It was knocked back and the power brokers asked why. They were told that the lease is not guaranteed. They began to get worried. Thats where its at presently. Sound about right 'In the know' ?
Nearly the tenure issue was held up due to the precinct being under a "Plan of Management" this does not allow any renewal or discussion re leases whilst the process is under way. Now all settled. Red Tape really.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be interesting to see how the Pirates go vs the Auckland sides, as a benchmarking activity. Which teams are they up against?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Sunday afternoon games would at least draw some of the crowds who are watching Private school games on Saturday afternoon.

Maybe not. These are families that commit a lot of time to their children's saturday sport and enjoy their sundays. Also, in Sydney anyway, junior club rugby is played on sundays to allow for saturday school sport.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Eastwood and Manly are both playing trials against the Newcastle/Hunter rep team in early March. I'd assume it's just one grade/one colts team from each coming up to play, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if there has been discussion of perhaps playing one Sunday afternoon game a round in the SS? A match of the round type deal? It would be tough to move 4 games onto a different day, but it would be ok if the Sunday games were released in the draw at the start of the year, clubs and players could plan for it. I recall last year a Uni v Eastwood game on a Sunday drawing a massive crowd out at Uni, maybe putting a game a week up against less competition of kids sport, other club rugby etc could be an option.[/quote
Manly are sending 2 grade sides plus colts to Newcastle for first trial.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone know what's happening with the Randwick licensed club?
I see they've opened membership for 2013 which seems to be at odds with the announcement that the site was for sale.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I see they've opened membership for 2013 which seems to be at odds with the announcement that the site was for sale.
The Licensed club has been sold to "investors" with arrangement for a lease back to the club for 12 months

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Licensed club has been sold to "investors" with arrangement for a lease back to the club for 12 months

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No matter what you may think about how Randwick has gone about things in the past (have things changed?), you must appreciate that they are one of the most recognisable clubs of World Rugby.

Munster has beaten the Darkness. The Wicks went close. Not many clubs have even been granted the recognition by the Lords of Darkness that they warrant a game vs the Chosen Ones.

It is good that "investors" have bailed the licensed club out. AFAIK the Licenced club is one of the major contributors of revenue to the wicks rugby club.

It is a pity that similar arrangements of "investors" have not been found for the Highlanders Licenced club, and several others.

A very healthy and drug free competitive Shute Shield competition is vital to Australian Rugby (similar for BrisVegas Premier rugby).

Status
Not open for further replies.