• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
No matter what you may think about how Randwick has gone about things in the past (have things changed?), you must appreciate that they are one of the most recognisable clubs of World Rugby.

Munster has beaten the Darkness. The Wicks went close. Not many clubs have even been granted the recognition by the Lords of Darkness that they warrant a game vs the Chosen Ones.

It is good that "investors" have bailed the licensed club out. AFAIK the Licenced club is one of the major contributors of revenue to the wicks rugby club.

It is a pity that similar arrangements of "investors" have not been found for the Highlanders Licenced club, and several others.

A very healthy and drug free competitive Shute Shield competition is vital to Australian Rugby (similar for BrisVegas Premier rugby).

Hugh, it would appear that the reverse is true as far the Wicks are concerned. Apparently the Rugby Club has been bailing out the licenced club for several years and in fact the Rugby Club is one of the licenced club's biggest creditors.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Ok so the reverse is true. Interesting state of affairs.

When I go to Coogee Oval, do I need to buy from the Canteen (money to Rugby club I presume) or the Club across the road (money to the Licenced club)?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
^^^ Ok so the reverse is true. Interesting state of affairs.

When I go to Coogee Oval, do I need to buy from the Canteen (money to Rugby club I presume) or the Club across the road (money to the Licenced club)?

Both would be good!
In the past the canteen and BBQ proceeds have gone to the junior clubs (and they staff them too) who take turns at the home games, hopefully that's still the case this year.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
So any brave people out there willing to rank the SS from 1st to 12th for 2013? Obviously I will decline as I may be biassed and we battle enough without me giving rival teams any ammunition to fire up against us.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
So any brave people out there willing to rank the SS from 1st to 12th for 2013? Obviously I will decline as I may be biassed and we battle enough without me giving rival teams any ammunition to fire up against us.
Ill have a stab

Uni
Norths
Souths
Eastwood
Randwick
Manly
Parramatta
West Harbour
Warringah
Easts
Gordon
Penrith

Call it brave, most likely foolish

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Manly
Uni
Eastwood
Norths
Souths
Randwick
Parramatta
Warringah
Easts
Gordon
West Harbour
Penrith

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As Randwick appear to be expecting just out school players to play up the grades, do you really think that they will finish at 6! It's a punishing season for newly graduated students.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
As Randwick appear to be expecting just out school players to play up the grades, do you really think that they will finish at 6! It's a punishing season for newly graduated students.

In hindsight... Parramatta will probably top them but I think they'll go ok this season

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
No matter what you may think about how Randwick has gone about things in the past (have things changed?), you must appreciate that they are one of the most recognisable clubs of World Rugby.

Munster has beaten the Darkness. The Wicks went close. Not many clubs have even been granted the recognition by the Lords of Darkness that they warrant a game vs the Chosen Ones.

It is good that "investors" have bailed the licensed club out. AFAIK the Licenced club is one of the major contributors of revenue to the wicks rugby club.

It is a pity that similar arrangements of "investors" have not been found for the Highlanders Licenced club, and several others.

A very healthy and drug free competitive Shute Shield competition is vital to Australian Rugby (similar for BrisVegas Premier rugby).
As far as Gordon goes, I have heard whispers from the Central Coast that Mingara Club were looking at it. Apparently they own more than a few pokie palaces. Lets hope

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Ill have a stab

Uni
Norths
Souths
Eastwood
Randwick
Manly
Parramatta
West Harbour
Warringah
Easts
Gordon
Penrith

Call it brave, most likely foolish

Manly....not concerned with who comes second. Although I do hope Parra make a good showing

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As far as Gordon goes, I have heard whispers from the Central Coast that Mingara Club were looking at it. Apparently they own more than a few pokie palaces. Lets hope
I thought this deal was well advanced and happening? Along with some sort of Uni "tie up" with Macquarie or UTS for the young ones!

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)
Uni
Manly
Eastwood
Souths
Warringah
Randwick
Parramatta
Norths
Gordon
Easts
Wests
Penrith
Here's hoping Gordon can climb a little higher this year, but it will be tough. Interesting to see the Rats so far up your list. Other than Dave Harvey adding another pair of socks to his collection have they picked up many newcomers?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
From what I hear there is a solid nucleus of experience plus a few surprise players with excellent credentials from elsewhere.
I expect the young blokes to play Colts and be eased up j=however that is all hearsay.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Here's hoping Gordon can climb a little higher this year, but it will be tough. Interesting to see the Rats so far up your list. Other than Dave Harvey adding another pair of socks to his collection have they picked up many newcomers?
Josh Holmes there for the full season makes a big difference. Hamish Angus was the Ken Catchpole medal winner. Good backline... Depends if they get a foward pack. Surely a few of Harvey's mates will follow him?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ARU report on the state and future of the Sydney and Brisbane club competitions found almost all clubs were in a ''poor'' financial state and said some were sometimes asked by their returning Super Rugby players for extra cash on top of the regular match payments and win bonuses doled out to all players.

In Sydney alone, two of the 12 clubs, Penrith and Gordon, are on the brink of collapse, according to the report, while the long-term viability of the others is in question.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...living-near-the-breadline-20130214-2efyj.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The ARU report on the state and future of the Sydney and Brisbane club competitions found almost all clubs were in a ''poor'' financial state and said some were sometimes asked by their returning Super Rugby players for extra cash on top of the regular match payments and win bonuses doled out to all players.

In Sydney alone, two of the 12 clubs, Penrith and Gordon, are on the brink of collapse, according to the report, while the long-term viability of the others is in question.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...living-near-the-breadline-20130214-2efyj.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting article, but how many more times is the ARU going to spend money on a study which concludes that club rugby is doing it tough financially and yet not do anything about it other than suggest yet another restructure? Club rugby is a players game and (fortunately) it also provides players to the Super Rugby and Wallaby teams inspite of its financial problems. It's not rocket science: it takes money to run 4 grades + 3 colts sides and the main source of income is sponsorship, benefactors, gate receipts and chook raffles in descending order. Unless the ARU starts putting its money where its mouth is nothing will change. We have a self-funded amateur competition underpinning a supposedly professional game.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting article, but how many more times is the ARU going to spend money on a study which concludes that club rugby is doing it tough financially and yet not do anything about it other than suggest yet another restructure? Club rugby is a players game and (fortunately) it also provides players to the Super Rugby and Wallaby teams inspite of its financial problems. It's not rocket science: it takes money to run 4 grades + 3 colts sides and the main source of income is sponsorship, benefactors, gate receipts and chook raffles in descending order. Unless the ARU starts putting its money where its mouth is nothing will change. We have a self-funded amateur competition underpinning a supposedly professional game.

In reading the article one sentence really stuck out. "clubs focus all their resources on developing first-grade and first-grade colts sides and become better integrated with the ARU-run national academy programs"

That's right Clubs need to focus on losing there players to a system that stops kids from actually playing and removing the best players from saturday matches. How on earth does that benefit club rugby in any way whatsoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.