• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The review states that it is the club providing it

"one unnamed Sydney club provided tuition and accommodation scholarships worth half a million dollars"

But it doesnt matter who is providing it. That has never been the issue. What is the issue is that on numerous occasions in this and other forums, the existence of tuition and accommodation scholarships for Sydney University rugby players has been denied.

Can those who have been denying it, please explain?
Yeah it does, if the Rugby Club funds someones degree or accommodation, that is no different to Easts giving someone a car, or Norths paying someone $20k in cash.
My understanding of the denials, has been that the University has never provided benefits to the Rugby Club or it's players. So they are not getting any advantages that are not available to any other Clubs. But someone better qualified can speak on their behalf.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Yup - not gonna wade in here except to say that it is my belief that contracted players (super) are not actually meant to be asking for any money to play club rugby - so there is the first real issue. If there was no financial benefits to professional players playing club rugby many would simply play for their local or junior club, right there is a pretty handy first step to levelling the playing field.

Some sort of standard or maximum player payment cap would be another. I do believe there would be a power base shift if these couple of simple measures were initiated. Do the power brokers actually want a level playing field? I do wonder sometimes.

In terms of powerful clubs spreading their wealth, it has been done in at least one other comp that I am aware of.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Time for the waratahs to step in on this sort of stuff (Folau). Sydney Uni have obviously come up with a good offer (as they always do) and have signed another awesome player. Whether it be colts or grade they always pick up the top players. Everyone knows how. Why can't players like Folau be slotted into a club like Parra, Wests, heck even Gordon or something? How many of the rep players at Uni are "local juniors"?
The really disappointing thing is Folau was a Parra Junior Rep in u11 to u14 before moving to Queensland. He has relatives at the club and we're told he would have preferred to be aligned with Parra.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Couple of things.

1. The leaking of the ARU report to the media has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons. Dont think we've heard the last of that one.
  2. Folau, I've made thoughts known well both public and private. NSWRU had a great opportunity to grow some balls, and declined the opportunity. I refer to my signature below.
  3. Uni will cop it for taking him. But it just aint their fault......this time. By that I mean, it's not their fault no other club has the resources or funding available to them to monopolise the competition. We all know he will play hardly any games. But it aint the point. As I told Waratahs Rugby, Folau playing a match at Uni will bring 20 people into the game. Folau playing a game for Penrith at Penrith fills Nepean Rugby Park 5 times over.
Rugby just ate a little bit more of itself today.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Time for the waratahs to step in on this sort of stuff (Folau). Sydney Uni have obviously come up with a good offer (as they always do) and have signed another awesome player. Whether it be colts or grade they always pick up the top players. Everyone knows how. Why can't players like Folau be slotted into a club like Parra, Wests, heck even Gordon or something? How many of the rep players at Uni are "local juniors"?

Waratahs don't have the balls to tell their employees where to work!

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Will Filou be putting his hand in his pocket to pay for the Scholarship he is sponsoring? ..... No as Uni will offer for free
Will this scholarship go to a run of the mill schoolboy player?
No .... It will go towards a gun player
Is there an email address we can send an email to let the Waratahs people this is a joke and I won't be going to a Waratahs game as my individual protest.

B

BellyTwoBlues

[quote="
Is there an email address we can send an email to let the Waratahs people this is a joke and I won't be going to a Waratahs game as my individual protest.[/quote]

There's not even a 'Contact Us' on the website.................can't receive criticism that way!

F

former

Couple of things.

1. The leaking of the ARU report to the media has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons. Dont think we've heard the last of that one.
  2. Folau, I've made thoughts known well both public and private. NSWRU had a great opportunity to grow some balls, and declined the opportunity. I refer to my signature below.
  3. Uni will cop it for taking him. But it just aint their fault..this time. By that I mean, it's not their fault no other club has the resources or funding available to them to monopolise the competition. We all know he will play hardly any games. But it aint the point. As I told Waratahs Rugby, Folau playing a match at Uni will bring 20 people into the game. Folau playing a game for Penrith at Penrith fills Nepean Rugby Park 5 times over.
Rugby just ate a little bit more of itself today.

both pullver and Farr-Jones have stated Want to see grass roots rugby as a focus. This will boost Sydney uni juniors for sure.....oh wait,what juniors. Parra, penrith, west harbour, etc your juniors miss out again

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This report from ARU seems to be setting out to make a 3rd tier comp by destroying the SRU/Shute shield competition.

2 grades and two colts teams indeed. There goes the Shute shield. The other grade teams from the proud Premier clubs will get shunted to Suburban rugby.

It seems to be rather poorly thought through, almost as if the entire report should be posted on the new ESPN Ruck and Maul gossip column from Grumbles at his new workplace.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
[quote="
Is there an email address we can send an email to let the Waratahs people this is a joke and I won't be going to a Waratahs game as my individual protest.

There's not even a 'Contact Us' on the website.......can't receive criticism that way![/quote]
There is a contact us on the NSWRUGBY website but only if you want to purchase membership packages

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This report from ARU seems to be setting out to make a 3rd tier comp by destroying the SRU/Shute shield competition.

2 grades and two colts teams indeed. There goes the Shute shield. The other grade teams from the proud Premier clubs will get shunted to Suburban rugby.

It seems to be rather poorly thought through, almost as if the entire report should be posted on the new ESPN Ruck and Maul gossip column from Grumbles at his new workplace.

HJ, the failure of the ARC showed that tradition in rugby is supported in our country. The foundations of the Shute Shield are solid lets hope they stand strong.
It is unfortunate the Shute Shield doesnt start until April, in is unfortunate we dont have a comp running at the same time as the ITM.
The Japanese Hooker is getting some exposure now, and he hasnt even played, first Japanese player to play in the S15, imagine his first run on game.
Imagine what exposure takes place in Japan. no doubt a cult hero.

A 3T Comp whether that is top 4 of the current teams, or a geographic rep team - thinking further, and only ideas
  • Our seasons dont clash with Japan.
  • They are hosting the 2019 WC.
  • A number of players / coaches have had an impact over there - George Smith, SBW, Peter Hewet, Dan Carter, Willie O, Eddie Jones etc etc.
  • On FOX we see the 3T comps in SA, NZ, UK, but not Aust or Jap.
  • WC 2019 - 6 years time. The 19, 20, 21, 22 year of olds today;
Involving Japan in 3T plans within (within) the Shute Shield 3T model, a player exchange type program??

Could our 3T strengthen their rugby, increase their exposure, assist in our funding issues - I.e. a SBW pay cheque for 8 weeks (with risk of injury etc), or a 3T investment.

As I said at the start, we have TRADITION, and the Japanse culture loves TRADITION.

The above idea may be Harponed, it is only an idea.

I (and no doubt alot of other supporters) will be pissed off if good quality club rugby is destroyed by Pullver.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
''The ARU and the ARU board should have a much closer look at how the clubs work and the resources they devote, including thousands of volunteers, on behalf of the sport of rugby,'' Poidevin said. ''Then they will understand why a [third-tier] competition that shuts out the clubs is a death sentence for rugby.''

Very good point, "resources they devote, including thousands of volunteers, on behalf of the sport of rugby" an incorrectly structued 3T will not have this.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Very good point, "resources they devote, including thousands of volunteers, on behalf of the sport of rugby" an incorrectly structued 3T will not have this.
A long time since the interests of club rugby generally in Sydney and Randwick's greatest son have coincided - shows you how low Randwick are!

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)

With a bit of tweaking there may be some merit in limiting the number of senior grade teams per club. Following up from some posts on the Schoolboys thread about where boys play post school I think that the rugby pathway for 18-21 year olds is very muddled. A proposal that might assist is:

1. Only have 3 senior grade teams
2. Supplement these with each club having an U19, U20 and U21 team.

I think that the merit in this is that it defines a clear pathway for young rugby players post school. At the moment its off to an Academy if you're anointed amongst the chosen ones or playing against older and in many cases more physically developed players in colts [or in grade for those who go straight there] or playing in another lower level competition.

Aged based competitions in the U19--21 years might also result in the school leaver rugby talent being spread more evenly amongst SS clubs particularly if a cap was placed on the number of players each SS club could have in each age group [say 25]. It would also corral the U21 rugby talent within aged based competitions which may assist in better identifying and developing players for selection in international age competitions. Perhaps it might also lead to more interstate competitions at post school age levels - at present there is a very good Australian Schools Championships between the states run by the ASRU at U18 level that showcases a lot of schoolboy talent - I can't see why this showcasing of talent doesn't continue at a similarly run championships between state teams at U19, U20 and U21 levels.

The 3 senior grade teams could remain the domain of 21+ aged players although I would expect that there may be some calls for exceptional under 21 players to play in 1st grade - whether this should occur is a matter for further debate. Having only 3 senior grade teams with perhaps a cap on registered 21+ aged players per club may also result in the talent pool of older players being spread amongst all SS clubs as well.

Just some thoughts on building a better pathway for post school rugby players that may have benefits for club rugby and maybe levels above.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With a bit of tweaking there may be some merit in limiting the number of senior grade teams per club. Following up from some posts on the Schoolboys thread about where boys play post school I think that the rugby pathway for 18-21 year olds is very muddled. A proposal that might assist is:

1. Only have 3 senior grade teams
2. Supplement these with each club having an U19, U20 and U21 team.

I think that the merit in this is that it defines a clear pathway for young rugby players post school. At the moment its off to an Academy if you're anointed amongst the chosen ones or playing against older and in many cases more physically developed players in colts [or in grade for those who go straight there] or playing in another lower level competition.

Aged base competitions in the U19--21 years might also result in the school leaver rugby talent being spread more evenly amongst SS clubs particularly if a cap was placed on the number of players each SS club could have in each age group [say 25]. It would also corral the U21 rugby talent within aged based competitions which may assist in better identifying and developing players for selection in international age competitions. Perhaps it might also lead to more interstate competitions at post school age levels - at present there is a very good Australian Schools Championships between the states run by the ASRU at U18 level that showcases a lot of schoolboy talent - I can't see why this showcasing of talent doesn't continue at a similarly run championships between state teams at U19, U20 and U21 levels.

The 3 senior grade teams could remain the domain of 21+ aged players although I would expect that there may be some calls for exceptional under 21 players to play in 1st grade - whether this should occur is a matter for further debate. Having only 3 senior grade teams with perhaps a cap on registered 21+ aged players per club may also result in the talent pool of older players being spread amongst all SS clubs as well.

Just some thoughts on building a better pathway for post school rugby players that may have benefits for club rugby and maybe levels above.
But what happens when Hesse players turn 22, and only have 3 grades to filter to

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
But what happens when Hesse players turn 22, and only have 3 grades to filter to

Not every player will flow through as they progress from U19's to U21's for a variety of reasons - injury, lack of desire to continue playing, change in life circumstances etc. If each SS club had a capped number of players at 21+ grade level [say 60?] those who didn't get picked at senior grade level at "their club" might be able to pick up a position at another club. What the proposal does is primarily provide a better pathway to senior and representative rugby for young players and secondly hopefully spreads the talent a bit more amongst all clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.