• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
Manly had a huge rivalry with Gordon throughout the years with that age group. Gordon had the likes of Luke Jones and Nick Stirzacker in that team. If I recall that only Gordon Juniors that have remained with the club are Luke Rissman, Hugh Cropley, Erik Moss and Jim Handlin. Gordon and Manly had a joint premiership in the U17's in 2008.

Gordon was certainly the team to beat. I remember a semi final at Rat Park in the early 2000's when the Warringah juniors were cheering for Manly (against Gordon). You wouldnt see that very often! What happened the the very talented "big blonde" kid who played centre/wing..think his name was Brad. He played for the St Ives club

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
With only 2 rounds left in the shute shield anyone keen to name their " shute shield team of the year"? Always sparks heathly debate

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Gordon was certainly the team to beat. I remember a semi final at Rat Park in the early 2000's when the Warringah juniors were cheering for Manly (against Gordon). You wouldnt see that very often! What happened the the very talented "big blonde" kid who played centre/wing..think his name was Brad. He played for the St Ives club

He was a barker boy, i believe.
I think he was just one of those early bloomers.Everyone caught up physically, and he no longer had any advantage.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
So Uni can put out this team.

1. Jeremy Tilse
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Will Skelton
5. Liam Winton
6. Dave Dennis
7. Pat McCutcheon
8. Tim Davidson (c)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Peter Betham
12. Tom Carter
13. Tom English
14. Lachie Mitchell
15. Tom Kingston

Give them the Shield now?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
So Uni can put out this team.

1. Jeremy Tilse
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Will Skelton
5. Liam Winton
6. Dave Dennis
7. Pat McCutcheon
8. Tim Davidson (c)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Peter Betham
12. Tom Carter
13. Tom English
14. Lachie Mitchell
15. Tom Kingston

Give them the Shield now?

Certainly hard to beat although they might lose a couple of these (eg Dennis, Phipps) to the Wobblies.

BTW the above team only adds up to 60 player points (+whatever McCutcheon is worth, probably 0).....anyone still think the system is achieving the aim of spreading the talent???

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
And Betham and Ryan, they may have a strong bench

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Certainly hard to beat although they might lose a couple of these (eg Dennis, Phipps) to the Wobblies.

BTW the above team only adds up to 60 player points (+whatever McCutcheon is worth, probably 0)...anyone still think the system is achieving the aim of spreading the talent???
poor buggers , how can they get by

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
NEW SYDNEY COMP
Its called the Hute Shield.
Its for the team that comes second in the Shute Shield after you know who.
IMO they should get something as they would be the true champions of Club Rugby.
I think we should pass the hat around and get a shield and present it to them.
Bugger it, lets just make it a cup so it can be drunk from. Thats more like rugby.
The HUTE Cup......????
:)

matt reynolds

Frank Row (1)
its not about bashing Sydney uni, this is about the SS, well done to uni they have become very strong and they should pat themselves on the back. However, the ARU and NSWRU should have stepped in by now and put a stop the the hording of the super rugby players, how does one side beating everyone else by a cricket score help develop the game?? what motivation do the other clubs have to show up on a Saturday knowing they are about to face a side that can compete with the best in the world ?
what help is it to Penrith or Parramatta ? its no help at all and lets be honest, how the governing body of rugby let this happen ? how many players are going to waste in the west, lost to rugby league because the only way they can play competitive rugby is to travel east, spread the Super players and make the weaker clubs a bit more inviting, if i knew i could have the chance to play with Israel Falou at Penrith or Parramatta i would jump at the chance !

this needs to be fixed the fate of Australian rugby is at stake..

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
its not about bashing Sydney uni, this is about the SS, well done to uni they have become very strong and they should pat themselves on the back. However, the ARU and NSWRU should have stepped in by now and put a stop the the hording of the super rugby players, how does one side beating everyone else by a cricket score help develop the game?? what motivation do the other clubs have to show up on a Saturday knowing they are about to face a side that can compete with the best in the world ?
what help is it to Penrith or Parramatta ? its no help at all and lets be honest, how the governing body of rugby let this happen ? how many players are going to waste in the west, lost to rugby league because the only way they can play competitive rugby is to travel east, spread the Super players and make the weaker clubs a bit more inviting, if i knew i could have the chance to play with Israel Falou at Penrith or Parramatta i would jump at the chance !

Welcome to GAGR but your article reminds me about the key to Irish comedy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------timing!
Sorry, but a GAGR search on this topic would reveal a thousand similar views, no solutions and plenty of outrage.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
It's funny how in a semi professional/amateur competition a team can have a full team of professional players. In order to beat Uni you are going to need your plumbers, teaches,bankers etc which probably make up half your team to beat a team that plays rugby for a living- a real tough assignment.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Unfortunately for club rugby and the SS the concentration of talent at Uni combined with their ultra professional management and depth of resources is good for rugby at the S15 and international level. Hence the reason why the NSWRU and ARU will never do anything about it and why the player points system has become an irrelevant and meaningless joke. The heart of the problem (IMO) is the 100% loyalty discount after 5 years service. My understanding is that this was supposed to only be a short term measure so clubs wouldn't have to shed players when the system was first introduced, but it's still there several years down the track.

Rufus

Bob McCowan (2)
I am an occasional observer on this forum so I am not sure whether this suggestion has been put before in regard to the introduction of super rugby players at the end of their season. Introduce a rule which makes it necessary to have played say 6 games throughout the season for your club before you qualify to play in the finals.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Why not end the Shute Shield the same week as the Super Rugby regular season finishes?

Then just start another competition when all the Super Rugby players are back?

Status
Not open for further replies.