• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Manly hopefully learnt today you have to play the full 40 of each half to compete with Uni. Their fitness and conditioning means they are never out of a game. Manly more than matched Uni in all areas except maybe these two.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Jordy Reid MoM.
Brutal game. VERY physical. Manly probably better off playing through without the break. They were hard done by though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Listen to the ref on TV and you'll hear his reasoning for going yellow prior to the card being given. Not saying I agree per se, but he is pretty clear.

Cyclo, can't hear the ref when you are there. Plus I only had an eye on one side.

That said Jordy, and Maile where huge.

It's a loss that the boys won't want to feel again.

I've read the above all week, unfair, can't be beaten etc. I thought if a team had the right game plan, and played the full 80 they could win. Manly proved it today, unfortunately the game went beyond 80.

Looking forward to watching it on the box.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclo, can't hear the ref when you are there. Plus I only had an eye on one side.

That said Jordy, and Maile where huge.

It's a loss that the boys won't want to feel again.

I've read the above all week, unfair, can't be beaten etc. I thought if a team had the right game plan, and played the full 80 they could win. Manly proved it today, unfortunately the game went beyond 80.

Looking forward to watching it on the box.
Yeah, I know you were there, half your luck.
Uni are undoubtedly beatable, but if it comes down to fitness and conditioning, as it really did today I think, they're a step ahead. The first 20-25 min from Manly was fantastic rugby and Uni were not in it.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
If you can't hear the ref', try Sports Ears.

Aiui most first grade referees are miked up (especially in the SS).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Eastwood will be tough to stop also. Wouldn't be banking on a Marlins GF appearance yet

Agree but what this week end proves a well drilled, balanced and committed club side can beat a Sydney Uni team. Eastwood seconds, another example.

Iluvmyfooty yeah agree with the 17 nil up, but loosing Jordy for 10 cost us 2 tries. The one on the stroke of half time really hurt.

This weekend is an example of why we need a 3rd tier, unfortunately club rugby finishes in 3 weeks while the other codes promote their game.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Well done Gordon 2nd Grade team. These guys are a tight unit of good mates. The Easts 2nd grade pack was huge and at half time they were leading 14-13 after 2 strong tries down the right hand side. Easts seemed to have the upper hand in the first half whilst not the field position

After Half time Gordon jumped out of the gates. 3 tries in 15 minutes took the score to 41-13. Easts scored 2 (41-28) late tries before Gordon had a 60 yard drive after the bell to charge home and score 2 minutes after the bell, under the posts 48-28.

This was skill and fitness in the heat. Chatswood oval wasn't exactly forgiving. There hasn't been a lot of rain lately and it's a pretty hard surface even outside of the cricket square. Great to see a 4th grade prop reserving for 2s after some injuries in the 3rd grade semi final on Saturday. Onto Coogee next week!

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Great game yesterday, fantastic advertisement for the Shute shield. I'm with the majority of others, thought manly deserved to win but the students know how to win

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great game yesterday, fantastic advertisement for the Shute shield. I'm with the majority of others, thought manly deserved to win but the students know how to win

I watched the woods v southern game live and the Manly game on TV and enjoyed both games. Defence was brutal.

I think the key to beating uni is playing rugby for the whole game and not getting defensive. Any turnover ball you get you have to use. Kicking it back is not an option.

The kick out on the full by manly with a couple of minutes to go sealed their fate.

ON a separate issue, even though the uni scrum was mostly dominant, the young loose head for manly got underneath Ryan a number of times and Ryan popped up. Should have been a penalty to manly on these occasions and would have relieved the pressure enormously.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I watched the woods v southern game live and the Manly game on TV and enjoyed both games. Defence was brutal.

I think the key to beating uni is playing rugby for the whole game and not getting defensive. Any turnover ball you get you have to use. Kicking it back is not an option.

The kick out on the full by manly with a couple of minutes to go sealed their fate.

ON a separate issue, even though the uni scrum was mostly dominant, the young loose head for manly got underneath Ryan a number of times and Ryan popped up. Should have been a penalty to manly on these occasions and would have relieved the pressure enormously.

How did Benn Robinson go?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Last scrum of the game,right on full time.They popped the front row,and the ref wasn't game to call it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope Cheika has the brains and the imagination to work out that some of our semi-professionals might be far better than some of the full-time professional players, if they only had a similar opportunity.

Jared Barry, for one. Dave Porecki (the young Manly LHP) is another. Jed Gillespie is out for the season, he is another one.

Players who glide straight from school into full-time professional careers might not have the mongrel and determination of a player who has had to fight his way up against the odds (and without having had access to all the training resources and time that the full-timers have).

Cyril Towers (30)
I hope Cheika has the brains and the imagination to work out that some of our semi-professionals might be far better than some of the full-time professional players, if they only had a similar opportunity.

Jared Barry, for one. Dave Porecki (the young Manly LHP) is another. Jed Gillespie is out for the season, he is another one.

Players who glide straight from school into full-time professional careers might not have the mongrel and determination of a player who has had to fight his way up against the odds (and without having had access to all the training resources and time that the full-timers have).
Jared Barry was one of those who glided straight from school into a contract with the Brumbies. He wasn't up to it. Maybe he's grown into that body now and deserves another look. Agree about Porecki, the Tahs could do worse than look at him as a hooker, probably too small for a Super Rugby LHP. Also agree about Jed Gillespie, he's one for the future.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)

Great comment, forget the acadamies, throw em all into colts/grade to fight their way up.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
How did Benn Robinson go?

Robbo did well, and played well around the field. But eastwood scrum was under pressure and got penalised a number of times in the second half - some decisions a bit baffling.

But I rate the Southern Scrum - it is one of the best - big front row and enormous second rowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.