• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That is something I have been critical of Uni,so I couldn't help but look at the link to confirm my suspicions.
Canterbury haven't updated their website,so I have no idea on their juniors.
The other 2 clubs surprisingly(to me at least) have plenty of teams.
Pretty impressive from a zero base!

wouldnt call it plenty......

and nearly all of them fall under the "minis" age bracket with squads being alot smaller

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Surely the lack of junior clubs in the Sydney Uni area is as much a reflection of the demographics of that area as anything else.

I can't imagine cricket, AFL, rugby league or any other sport has huge participation numbers in that area.

just using balmain area as a example

junior rugby league in balmain alone has plenty (although id admit some of these teams are stretching it to be classified as "balmain" but you can take them out if you want) http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=7-2147-0-0-0&a=CLUBS

balmain junior cricket http://www.balmaincricket.com.au/teams.php?op= 

junior afl has two more clubs than union http://www.balmaindockers.com.au/communitynews/juniorclubs.html

while they may not have huge participation numbers, all these codes are ahead of union in this area

Rufus

Bob McCowan (2)
Maybe you could start by sending back all the West Harbour players who are there.I think there have been at least 7 play first grade with Eastwood this year.;)

Not sure about the exact number, but you are correct. Consequently, I think you will find some of the lower grade players who have come through Eastwood Colts, going elsewhere next year.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Okay fellow Shute Shield enthusiasts, I'm rather perplexed with the Shute Shield history at the moment. Who won in 2005? Was it Uni or the Rats? Here a link of a Shute Shield preview saying the Rats won.

On the Sydney University website it says
2005 Sydney University 41
Eastwood 5

on wiki it says
2005 Sydney University Warringah

29-23

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Okay fellow Shute Shield enthusiasts, I'm rather perplexed with the Shute Shield history at the moment. Who won in 2005? Was it Uni or the Rats? Here a link of a Shute Shield preview saying the Rats won.

Eastwood 5

on wiki it says

29-23

I seem to recall that their were two comps - the first round (with no Super 12 players) culminated in the playing of the Shute shield Grand Final with the Rats winning. THe comp then continued, I think as the TOoheys Cup or something similar, with Super 12 players in it, which was won by Uni

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
In 2005 and 2006 the Shute Shield was played for after the first round of home and away fixtures. The first grade competition was reset and the Tooheys New Cup was played for on grand final day at the end of the season. Warringah won the Shute Shield in 2005 so Wiki is incorrect if it says Uni won. Uni then won the Tooheys New Cup over Eastwoood. They TNC was considered the Premiership trophy those seasons. See here for a list of past premiership winners

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/past-premiers/premiership-club-grades-1970-to-current/

Cyril Towers (30)
I seem to recall that their were two comps - the first round (with no Super 12 players) culminated in the playing of the Shute shield Grand Final with the Rats winning. THe comp then continued, I think as the TOoheys Cup or something similar, with Super 12 players in it, which was won by Uni
Yep, that's the way I remember it.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Eastwood 5

on wiki it says

29-23
Wiki also shows Manly winning in 83 - IIRC it was Norths as the large clubs played in competition under the NSWRU, as they did not support promotion/relegation.
(NB may have been 84)

Cyril Towers (30)
Wiki also shows Manly winning in 83 - IIRC it was Norths as the large clubs played in competition under the NSWRU, as they did not support promotion/relegation.
(NB may have been 84)
Pretty sure Norths played in the then second division comp in 1983. Uni was down there, too having been relegated the year before.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
(NB may have been 84)

I thought it was 85 or 86 when the big boys played their own comp - obviously the name would be on the shield.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Those seasons where there were two separate first grade comps were a very strange idea. Although I do remember watching that Warringah v Uni game as a young bloke in 05 and being taken aback by the crowd and the pitch invasion at the end.

griffith blacks

Frank Row (1)
Ok, what does everything think about the report in the SMH about the ARU enforcing zero player payments for Shute Shield with the Soup 15 having academies with players paid 10 k a year. I just think it will send every thing underground with brown paper bags every where. it may help even things out but I just think rich clubs will find away around it. Not a lot coming out of the ARU. Any body hearing any thing else ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok, what does everything think about the report in the SMH about the ARU enforcing zero player payments for Shute Shield with the Soup 15 having academies with players paid 10 k a year. I just think it will send every thing underground with brown paper bags every where. it may help even things out but I just think rich clubs will find away around it. Not a lot coming out of the ARU. Any body hearing any thing else ?
There's a thread devoted to it specifically: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...ugby-and-the-60k-persuader.13442/#post-535071
I dont see how it will even everything out, partly for the reasons you mention and partly because the sanction of removing $60k is not that big a deterrent to clubs with funds, in particular the 2 grand finalists this weke who have, through good management, put themselves in a pretty handy financial position.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Shute Shield and Tooheys New Cup.

In 2005 and 2006 the Shute Shield was played for after the first round of home and away fixtures. The first grade competition was reset and the Tooheys New Cup was played for on grand final day at the end of the season. Warringah won the Shute Shield in 2005 so Wiki is incorrect if it says Uni won. Uni then won the Tooheys New Cup over Eastwoood. They TNC was considered the Premiership trophy those seasons. See here for a list of past premiership winners

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/past-premiers/premiership-club-grades-1970-to-current/

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The amateur status will probably mean that instances like David Harvey for the Rats for example are being paid by the Friends of Warringah organisation. I have no issues with this but agree with the ARU in that why give a club $60k who will spend it on frignge mungos and kiwis which will add zero development to Aus rugby....
Maybe the ARU should pay for $60 worth of bills instead, like insurance, physios, strapping tape and ground hire with a small cash payment as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.