• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Just read that the SS finals series this year will be 6 teams, over 3 weeks. Does anyone know what the format of this will be? The only one I can think of is:

Week 1: 3v6, 4v5, 1/2 have the week off
Week 2: 1 v lowest winner, 2 v highest winner
Week 3: winners of week 2

Has anyone got any further info on this?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Just read that the SS finals series this year will be 6 teams, over 3 weeks. Does anyone know what the format of this will be? The only one I can think of is:

Week 1: 3v6, 4v5, 1/2 have the week off
Week 2: 1 v lowest winner, 2 v highest winner
Week 3: winners of week 2

Has anyone got any further info on this?

I believe the first week is:
1 v 6
2 v 5
3 v 4
Not sure what happens after that, but I'm guessing the 2 lowest losers from week 1 get eliminated.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It is explained somewhere below;
Premiership Competition Grade Draw 2014
Date Home v Away
Round 1
29-March-2014 Easts v Randwick
Eastwood v Norths
Parramatta v Gordon
Penrith v Sydney Uni
Souths v Manly
Warringah v Wests
Round 2
05-April-2014 Wests v Penrith
Gordon v Eastwood
Randwick v Norths
Souths v Warringah
Parramatta v Manly
Easts v Sydney Uni
Round 3
12-April-2014 Wests v Sydney Uni
Manly v Easts
Warringah v Parramatta
Norths v Souths
Gordon v Randwick
Penrith v Eastwood
Round 4
19-April-2014 Eastwood v Wests
Randwick v Penrith
Souths v Gordon
Parramatta v Norths
Easts v Warringah
Sydney Uni v Manly
Round 5
26-April-2014 Wests v Manly
Warringah v Sydney Uni
Norths v Easts
Gordon v Parramatta
Penrith v Souths
Eastwood v Randwick
Round 6
03-May-2014 Randwick v Wests
Souths v Eastwood
Parramatta v Penrith
Easts v Gordon
Sydney Uni v Norths
Manly v Warringah
Round 7
10-May-2014 Wests v Warringah
Norths v Manly
Gordon v Sydney Uni
Penrith v Easts
Eastwood v Parramatta
Randwick v Souths
Round 8
17-May-2014 Souths v Wests
Parramatta v Randwick
Easts v Eastwood
Sydney Uni v Penrith
Manly v Gordon
Norths v Warringah
Round 9
24-May-2014 Wests v Norths
Gordon v Warringah
Penrith v Manly
Eastwood v Sydney Uni
Randwick v Easts
Souths v Parramatta
Round 10
31-May-2014 Parramatta v Wests
Easts v Souths
Sydney Uni v Randwick
Manly v Eastwood
Warringah v Penrith
Norths v Gordon
Round 11
07-June-2014 Wests v Gordon
Penrith v Norths
Eastwood v Warringah
Randwick v Manly
Souths v Sydney Uni
Parramatta v Easts
Round 12
14-June-2014 Easts v Wests
Sydney Uni v Parramatta
Manly v Souths
Warringah v Randwick
Norths v Eastwood
Gordon v Penrith
Round 13
21-June-2014 Eastwood v Gordon
Wests v Randwick
Souths v Penrith
Manly v Parramatta
Norths v Sydney Uni
Warringah v Easts
Round 14
28-June-2014 Sydney Uni v Wests
Penrith v Warringah
Gordon v Norths
Parramatta v Souths
Randwick v Eastwood
Easts v Manly
Round 15
05-July-2014 Manly v Randwick
Norths v Penrith
Sydney Uni v Eastwood
Warringah v Souths
Wests v Parramatta
Gordon v Easts
Round 16
12-July-2014 Parramatta v Sydney Uni
Souths v Norths
Wests v Easts
Warringah v Manly
Randwick v Gordon
Eastwood v Penrith
Round 17
19-July-2014 Easts v Parramatta
Penrith v Wests
Manly v Norths
Sydney Uni v Gordon
Randwick v Warringah
Eastwood v Souths
Round 18
26-July-2014 Gordon v Souths
Manly v Wests
Norths v Randwick
Penrith v Parramatta
Sydney Uni v Easts
Warringah v Eastwood
Finals Week 1
2-August-2014 A 1st Place v 6th Place
B 2nd Place v 5th Place
C 3rd Place v 4th Place
Finals Week 2
9-August-2014 D TBD v TBD
E TBD v TBD
Grand Finals
16-August-2014 F Winner D v Winner E

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Gordon's Trials are as follows
1. Warringah on the 8th of March at Rat Park
2. Easts on the 15th at Redmond Field, Rockdale,
3. Central Coast on the 22nd Mingara Drive, Tumbi Umbi

State of Play

Frank Row (1)
Gordon had 4 (including the president) of their 8 directors resign at the AGM after being on the board for 12 months and not all of them have been replaced. Their financials did not include a P&L for the 2013 season only the balance sheet. A couple of members apparently wrote to the board for the P&L for 2013 and was told the members would not be given the P&L for 2013.
A major sponsor from 2013 has walked, apparently not happy with the way he was treated during the season so apart from losing the sponsorship they will apparently now have to get new jerseys and polo's as the sponsor was a back of jersey sponsor and on the sleeve of the polos.
Word is that their colts will struggle to form 3 teams this season. They only just have the numbers for 3 teams but will not have the numbers to finish with 3 teams.
Grade may have some issues this season again with numbers.
Sounds like its all going well at Gordon for 2014.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gordon had 4 (including the president) of their 8 directors resign at the AGM after being on the board for 12 months and not all of them have been replaced. Their financials did not include a P&L for the 2013 season only the balance sheet. A couple of members apparently wrote to the board for the P&L for 2013 and was told the members would not be given the P&L for 2013.
A major sponsor from 2013 has walked, apparently not happy with the way he was treated during the season so apart from losing the sponsorship they will apparently now have to get new jerseys and polo's as the sponsor was a back of jersey sponsor and on the sleeve of the polos.
Word is that their colts will struggle to form 3 teams this season. They only just have the numbers for 3 teams but will not have the numbers to finish with 3 teams.

I wouldn't worry, a club like them in their location are just 2 or 3 years of good decision making away from being competitive. It won't be this year though.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Board of the Gordon Rugby Football Club is pleased to announce the following appointments, unanimously endorsed at last Wednesday’s Annual General Meeting;

President – Graeme Hearl
Director – Mark Hartill
Director – Hayden Rorke
Director – Robert Bruce
Director – Dr Liz Swinburn
Director – Beau Wilson
Director – Hugh Trollope

Newly appointed President Graeme Hearl remarked “The new Board contains a wealth of Gordon Rugby history and commitment, plus vast commercial and life experience. I am looking forward to working with such a talented and diverse team, one which will continue the excellent work of last year’s Board. I would like to thank those members of the Board who have stepped down. David McGilvray, Peter Hearl, David Cains and Josh Whittaker made significant contributiosn to Gordon Rugby over a very difficult 12-18 months and on behalf of all members of the club, I thank them".
Dave McGilvray was only a one year stop gap solution so he could get things headed in the right direction. Dave let everyone know this all along. Peter Hearl has business interests far and wide. David Cains has helped the club financially for a number of years and offered business advice through a difficult last two and three years and Josh is still around the club but chose not to commit the time this season.
----------------
The financial position of the club has improved dramatically over the last 12 months thanks to the previous board.
Major Sponsor walked but a few others are close to agreeing to deals. Major sponsor withdrew as was not happy with not having his services renewed for his mental/phsyc sessions.
Colts will be in a better position than last season certainly hopefully get three teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I wouldn't worry, a club like them in their location are just 2 or 3 years of good decision making away from being competitive. It won't be this year though.
That has no basis in reality.
Despite the best intentions and good work of recent boards.Momentum is against them.
Just doing a good job will not be enough to ensure their long term viability.
I believe their colts program is stronger than some of their proposed JV partners,that opinion is not shared by School leavers.
BIG problem.
Possibly a death sentence.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
G'day - this is the first time I have commented on this forum, after following it for a number of years.
I have noticed that the general theme over those years was the general "love" of the sport of rugby, along with the sense of fair play.

The reasons I feel compelled to make a comment are a few of the posts over the last day or so. Why would anyone "death ride" a proud club like Gordon????? Is it a feeling of tribal hatred gone completely silly???
My son has just started playing with the Gordon club (so I cry an interest in the club).
After he was approached by a number of clubs in the Shute Shield, he chose Gordon because of its proud history, and the fact that the coaches and admin showed plenty of passion about getting this great club back on its feet, to become a force once again.
Why would people try to tear down all the hard work over the last couple of years?????
And to have nearly 1800 people like a comment that ILTW posted about it being a "Death Sentence" shows me that rugby may be in trouble after all, we seem to be "picking ourself apart".

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And to have nearly 1800 people like a comment that ILTW posted about it being a "Death Sentence" shows me that rugby may be in trouble after all, we seem to be "picking ourself apart"

Wish your first post didn't have to be like that - hearing you - good to see your support and that you have eventually posted.

Could I ask were you saw the like's as I cant see any. I think you maybe looking at the likes he's received in general as his posts are generally good.

I did write up yesterday and I thought I posted (must have rushed out) - I thought Gibbo posted the P&L some where and it showed a profit.
Whilst not a P&L the Annual Report on their Website for their FYE 2013 it showed a profit of $114k, and an improved balance sheet.

Gordon aren't what they were in the early 90's and in the professional market we are now in it is a big hill to climb - but a hill can be climbed.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
that ILTW posted about it being a "Death Sentence" shows me that rugby may be in trouble after all, we seem to be "picking ourself apart".

Welcome Butts, Love the Pic BTW.

I think what ILTW was referring to is if the school leavers have a negative perception of a Club - especially one' that's rebuilding - it could be a death sentence. I doubt anyone is death riding Gordon. In reality, winning or losing, a SS without Gordon leaves a significant whole in a location with some of rugby's highest participation rates.

This is Gordon's major problem. They not only compete for quality players with all the SS Clubs but add to that Knox Old Boys, Barker Old Boys, Lindfield, St Ives, Roseville, Chatswood, Lane Cove, Mosman (to an extent).....Gordon's up against it for players. Rumour has it that some 1st grade quality colts are heading down the road to play subbies because they're just not interested. Hope it changes because the best players should should play as high as they can.

Gordon will rise and their location on Sydney's upper north shore will make them a prime target for scorn and abuse, as should be the case:p

Can I also point out the tortology of "tribal hatred gone completely silly". Has there ever been one that's sensible. Except for Uni.....oh yeah, and the All Blacks......don't forget the Poms........and you can't like the Saffas.....did I mention Uni:D

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Wish your first post didn't have to be like that - hearing you - good to see your support and that you have eventually posted.

Could I ask were you saw the like's as I cant see any. I think you maybe looking at the likes he's received in general as his posts are generally good.

I did write up yesterday and I thought I posted (must have rushed out) - I thought Gibbo posted the P&L some where and it showed a profit.
Whilst not a P&L the Annual Report on their Website for their FYE 2013 it showed a profit of $114k, and an improved balance sheet.

Gordon aren't what they were in the early 90's and in the professional market we are now in it is a big hill to climb - but a hill can be climbed.

Thanks for pointing that out DB - and I apologise to the nearly 1800 people who I thought had nuts in their head.
You are perfectly correct; Gordon are struggling but there is light at the end of that tunnel - and it's not a train :)
Guess I'm a sucker for an underdog, as I have followed the Bunnies in the Mungoes since the early 60's. They went through a real trough, and there was a concerted push to get rid of them, but they got back and are now "flavour of the month" again. I don't ever want to see a team crucified like that again. We have to look after our clubs.
I also must admit I'm not an accountant, just a rugby lover, and the way the club has treated this year's Colts makes me very confident in the club's future. It's the Penriths and Gordons of this world who are struggling to make a future for their kids, so let's support them to ensure our kids have somewhere to go.
No use having a couple of really strong teams, if all they do is play themselves every weekend.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Welcome Butts, Love the Pic BTW.

Thanks RC. Just a quick happy snap of myself and my mate having a bit of a run around the back paddock.

Gordon's up against it for players. Rumour has it that some 1st grade quality colts are heading down the road to play subbies because they're just not interested. Hope it changes because the best players should should play as high as they can.

I think that with a Wallaby like Demmo coaching the Colts Firsts the word will soon get around.
And as for the rumours - have neither seen nor heard of this happening. Admittedly I'm only a "johnny come lately" and am throwing all my support behind my son, but I have only seen happy Colts at training.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
G'day - this is the first time I have commented on this forum, after following it for a number of years.
I have noticed that the general theme over those years was the general "love" of the sport of rugby, along with the sense of fair play.

The reasons I feel compelled to make a comment are a few of the posts over the last day or so. Why would anyone "death ride" a proud club like Gordon????? Is it a feeling of tribal hatred gone completely silly???
My son has just started playing with the Gordon club (so I cry an interest in the club).
After he was approached by a number of clubs in the Shute Shield, he chose Gordon because of its proud history, and the fact that the coaches and admin showed plenty of passion about getting this great club back on its feet, to become a force once again.
Why would people try to tear down all the hard work over the last couple of years?????
And to have nearly 1800 people like a comment that ILTW posted about it being a "Death Sentence" shows me that rugby may be in trouble after all, we seem to be "picking ourself apart".
No one is death riding them.
No one is even criticising them.
If you read my post,I compliment their recent boards,and their colts program.
The fact remains,if the club can't convince colts players to register,where are their grade players going to come from in the future?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks like NSWRU needs someone to help them upload the SS draw onto their website. The draw was finalised some time ago I believe but the link has been dead for over a week.

I'm sure this is not an indication of their interest in the SS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.