• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yikes

Stan Wickham (3)
I really miss the "Rugby News" programme .surely the SRU (who?) could distribute the team sheets each week. What do they actually do for their dollar????

Couldn't agree more!!!!
With all these professional sports managers working for the ARU/NSWRU/SRU using terms and buzzwords like "product" & "engaging with stakeholders" they may not get it.

It's unbelievably unprofessional that the bodies which run rugby (ie NSWRU and SRU) cannot provide a program at SS games and rely instead on a third party which they are apparently not even prepared to provide financial assistance to.

Dave, the SRU was a wasted body a long time before the evolution of the NRC. They do not have a website or a contact address for correspondence. (Maybe they don't want to hear from the paying public...sorry.stakeholders!)

These comments are a little laughable. What dollar? Professional sports managers at NSWRU and SRU, what!? NSWRU and SRU don't actually exist as big organisations, you know, right?

Last I heard, it was something like this - NSWRU has a grand total of 3 FTE employees. The Executive Director, the lady doing the ref appointments, 0.5 of the guy who runs NSW Country Rugby and 0.5 of the ref manager. (They may now also contribute to Nicki Drinkwater who previously was Waratahs media person mostly but has been doing some NSWRU media stuff once Russell Fairfax came on board for the Tahs).

SRU employs..... 0 people I believe. It basically doesn't exist. That's why they don't have a bloody website! It's a collection of the club's representatives who get together to make decisions on the comps, nothing more.

The person who "runs" the Premiership comp (i.e. the comp manager) who does comp tables/transfers/judiciary etc etc is actually a Suburban Rugby Union employee.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, the SRU was a wasted body a long time before the evolution of the NRC. They do not have a website or a contact address for correspondence. (Maybe they don't want to hear from the paying public...sorry.stakeholders!)

I know - well why the f are they still there.
I simply said what we all know - so possibly someone might read and think - shit that aint a bad idea and do something about it.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah - also - blokes who get on forums and bag the shit out of the sport without knowing anything.

That doesn't help, either. ;)

If you were referring to my comments, I was making some positive suggestions. Maybe I guessed the resourcing wrong however I bet if who ever in power could get volunteers to assist with some of these things if they wanted to. Imagine this - "The SRU would like to call of expressions of interests from some volunteers to help gather then collate a programme for the Shute Shield fixtures". Those people would then send a soft copy of the programme to the publicity officer at each of the SS clubs who can print out hard copies to be handed out at the ground.
Its not that hard really and doesn't involve some esoteric political debate. Just needs doers not talkers.
I think the majority of contributors would like to see the sport kick on and have expectations of standards given what we have all seen elsewhere. For e.g, went to Queens Park to watch a game - even Waverley College had a programme!!!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah - also - blokes who get on forums and bag the shit out of the sport without knowing anything.

That doesn't help, either. ;)

Yikes, there has been alot of chatter about the SRU, but also the SJRU - don't think people are bagging the sport. I do hear frustration and ideas though. There is a whole thread on the decline of junior rugby - some great ideas have been floated there

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The forums are groaning under the weight of unsolicited advice to the Administration staff at SRU, and SJRU. The challenge for the leaders of the interns is to sort the wheat out from the chaff.

The fact that people are taking time to offer that advice suggests that they care about this sport.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
"The SRU would like to call of expressions of interests from some volunteers to help gather then collate a programme for the Shute Shield fixtures". Those people would then send a soft copy of the programme to the publicity officer at each of the SS clubs who can print out hard copies to be handed out at the ground.

You know what Macca - I don't understand why people call you a clown:D I reckon it's because of what you are wearing in your avatar.

To put together a program would be really simple - if we could get the club's to get their team lists up to http://www.rugbynews.net.au/ a bit earlier. Just take a screenshot of the various matches, and then put them together in a collation of 16 pages or so.

Throw in a few advts from major sponsors (which would be a standing template). Get some contributions from various people of "photos of the round", and come up with a good design for the front cover.

Send off a PDF of the finished product, then have each club print out however many they wanted.

Of course, the fly in the ointment is time. All the club's would have to get together to make sure the content was sent to Macca early enough for him to get started:eek:

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Of course, the fly in the ointment is time. All the club's would have to get together to make sure the content was sent to Macca early enough for him to get started:eek:

Because I'm a newbie in the Sydney scene, I didn't even know about Rugby News until I started investigating the problem.

They are actually doing just what Macca asked for already. Here is a clip from their website, perhaps the forum should have a good close look and - if everyone put up a bit of cash - they would have their program sent out to them on a plate.

Just need to print it out on your own printer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we’ve listened and while the chances of the oldest rugby publication in Australia firing up the presses and swinging back into action are unfortunately fanciful at best right now, we’ve come up with a middle ground solution. Every Friday, we will post a downloadable ‘bite-size’ PDF version of Rugby News that contains the in-depth match previews, team lists, the Shute Shield ladder and the competition’s leading try and points scorers that appear on the website throughout the week – all in one handy digital or pocket-sized companion.
Once downloaded at the click of a button to your home computer, iPad, laptop or phone, you can then sit and read at your leisure what’s in store for the weekend’s games and who’s in and who’s out OR better still, print out a copy for yourself and take it along to the game. It’s as if we never left you.
Look upon this week as a testing ground and our inaugural issue as a metaphorical guinea pig. Let us know what you think. Is it a worthwhile exercise? Did it enhance your club rugby experience? Are there things that you could do without or what else would you like to see included – bearing in mind that our current situation makes a like-for-like replica of the all-singing, all-dancing Rugby News you’ve become accustomed to down the years extremely difficult to try and reproduce.
Going one step (hypothetically) further, would you be prepared to pay a nominal weekly, monthly or even season long subscription that would ensure the Rugby News name lives on in some capacity, offers you the player/coach/supporter the info you require on a weekly basis and gives us a bit more leeway to source and provide more of the items you wish to see?
Just a thought.
Anyway, thanks for your time, here’s Version 1.
Enjoy your footy: RN Weekly Rd 3 2014 – Click here to take you to a download screen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would be happy to pay a "nominal" season subscription for Rugby News...I paid $5 per week for a copy so $60-80 per annum would be good value.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
T
Because I'm a newbie in the Sydney scene, I didn't even know about Rugby News until I started investigating the problem.

They are actually doing just what Macca asked for already. Here is a clip from their website, perhaps the forum should have a good close look and - if everyone put up a bit of cash - they would have their program sent out to them on a plate.

Just need to print it out on your own printer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we’ve listened and while the chances of the oldest rugby publication in Australia firing up the presses and swinging back into action are unfortunately fanciful at best right now, we’ve come up with a middle ground solution. Every Friday, we will post a downloadable ‘bite-size’ PDF version of Rugby News that contains the in-depth match previews, team lists, the Shute Shield ladder and the competition’s leading try and points scorers that appear on the website throughout the week – all in one handy digital or pocket-sized companion.
Once downloaded at the click of a button to your home computer, iPad, laptop or phone, you can then sit and read at your leisure what’s in store for the weekend’s games and who’s in and who’s out OR better still, print out a copy for yourself and take it along to the game. It’s as if we never left you.
Look upon this week as a testing ground and our inaugural issue as a metaphorical guinea pig. Let us know what you think. Is it a worthwhile exercise? Did it enhance your club rugby experience? Are there things that you could do without or what else would you like to see included – bearing in mind that our current situation makes a like-for-like replica of the all-singing, all-dancing Rugby News you’ve become accustomed to down the years extremely difficult to try and reproduce.
Going one step (hypothetically) further, would you be prepared to pay a nominal weekly, monthly or even season long subscription that would ensure the Rugby News name lives on in some capacity, offers you the player/coach/supporter the info you require on a weekly basis and gives us a bit more leeway to source and provide more of the items you wish to see?
Just a thought.
Anyway, thanks for your time, here’s Version 1.
Enjoy your footy: RN Weekly Rd 3 2014 – Click here to take you to a download screen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks TB .
Unless I missed something that does First Grade only.
I love seeing the whole shebang , ie grades 1-4 plus colts. I find it interesting reading where players are up to as they come through the ranks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I would be happy to pay a "nominal" season subscription for Rugby News.I paid $5 per week for a copy so $60-80 per annum would be good value.

What is nominal?
Would a sponsor cover it for prominent display?

Status
Not open for further replies.