• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fantastic win by Norths today, fully deserved. Great game of footy it was too.

As a neutral (though I was hoping for a Norths win) it was a very engaging game. I may have actually screamed "give it to WULF!!!" a bit unexpectedly when they made the break leading to his try. May have in fact yelled it so loud and enthusiatically that upon sitting down I caught a glimpse my neighbour from across the road was staring at my house why a perplexed look on his face while mowing his lawn.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Fair go, mate. It's just park footy. If these spectators (most of whom are kids) are idiots, let me be the first to say that we need a lot more idiots at all our games. Especially at the grass roots.

It was an exciting moment and the game was won but there were 3 minutes left to play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fair go, mate. It's just park footy. If these spectators (most of whom are kids) are idiots, let me be the first to say that we need a lot more idiots at all our games. Especially at the grass roots.

Rugby needs all of them to support their team and the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hopefully that signals the end of Grand Finals at Concord.

Was the perfect place for it, big crowd and great atmosphere. Kids on the ground at half time was great, amatuer footy at it's best. Just wish the bar facilities were a bit better.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Have to say it was great to see all the Norths and Sydney uni juniors running onto the field. Ok, only one part of that statement is true :)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It was an exciting moment and the game was won but there were 3 minutes left to play.
Think they came on about 79:45. So pretty much over.
image.jpg

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
It was a great day, well done Norths
The beer line problems only happened after the scuffles on the hill and player tunnels - one beer per person doubled the length of the queues at least

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

1. Bigger crowd - North Sydney is in a 'heartland' area and much more likely to pick up casual rugby fans. Concord tends to only get die-hards and the club-affiliated.

2. Better atmosphere - The crowd is spread around the ground, with blokes standing on the hill. It's a lot of fun, and looks great on TV....... unlike Concord.

3. Event precinct - Nearby pubs mean the party can continue nearby, and people don't feel obliged to get straight in their cars and leave.

4. More child-friendly - with a big grassy hill there were so many kids, and they all ran onto the ground at half and full time to have a kick around. Combined with the close location to many fans and it's much easier to bring the kids.

5. Quality of field - after a week of rain the North Sydney turf was immaculate.

So they are the main five. I suppose it's not so much about the death of Concord, rather the birth of North Sydney Oval as the home of the SS Final. Though I have to mention the only point where NS Oval was a massive let-down.......

1. Shortness of goal posts - at only 23m high the North Sydney Oval goalposts were a whopping 48m shorter than those at Concord.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
A few handbags thrown by Beasties and Wicks groups on the hill and then Wicks and Uni had a disagreement before the Uni players ran out
Spoke to a security guard and the limited drinks order was due to cans being thrown during the hill incident
They were worried that some cans may be directed towards a certain university centre during the game

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They were worried that some cans may be directed towards a certain university centre during the game

Man I'm going to miss Tom Carter. Every great comp needs a hero and a villain, and TC and Uni have filled the latter role the last decade with aplomb.

A great servant of Uni and NSW Rugby, what a fantastic career.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty sure I remember TC announcing his retirement at the end of 2014 and 2015 SS. What makes you think he won't be around again next year?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Amazing day! Great atmosphere, great crowd, great result! It's been a long time coming, can't believe it's actually happened.
It has been a great year for Norths across all the Grades and Colts! Well done all. It would be nice to see them build on this and carry it through for a few years. Cron might be considering a few coaching offers after this though. Not wishing it, just thinking out loud.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Man I'm going to miss Tom Carter. Every great comp needs a hero and a villain, and TC and Uni have filled the latter role the last decade with aplomb.

A great servant of Uni and NSW Rugby, what a fantastic career.

He actually made reference to his villian tag in his post match interview. Pointed out that some may have thought it fitting he bowed out a loser. I have to admit I had a little chuckle there. Not because I agreed with the sentiment (though I am not a fan of his on field behaviour) but more fair play to the guy for owning it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyone have any idea on how many where at the game? Nth Syd Oval holds 20,000 and from the looks of it, it was xomfortably more than 2/3rds full.

Status
Not open for further replies.