• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If you lived near Rat Park would you prefer to spend a sunny Saturday arvo there, or trudge all the way to the SFS at night?

What's the message? The Tahs should play at suburban venues on sunny Saturday arvos?
1. Rat Park - because I had a choice of those 2 - but I'd prefer to go to any SS ground to watch team I support.
2. The message - tribalism follow your team.
3. And compete with club rugby on a Saturday arvos - that would be interesting. Maybe Suburban grounds Fri and Saturday night. Club rugby could win.

T

TOCC

If you lived near Rat Park would you prefer to spend a sunny Saturday arvo there, or trudge all the way to the SFS at night?

What's the message? The Tahs should play at suburban venues on sunny Saturday arvos?

if they can get similar sized crowds for half the rental cost then perhaps its an option they should consider

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I'd say the message is that the Tahs have lost relevance with the rank & file punters.
I really doubt that the Tahs would draw a crowd of that size at Rat Park under similar conditions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Message 1: more people are interested in Shute Shield than in the Waratahs.
Message 2: Competitive games attract spectators. Dishing up shit loses supporters.
Message 3: Half baked explanations from the coach about what he did or didn't know about a playing group he has been mentoring for 5 years don't cut the mustard.
That crowd figure is of the same order as those attracted to SFS in February/March when its still daylight at kick off and rarely less than 25 degrees.
Of the rugby offerings in this city on any given day the Tahs is about third - but I have not seen a subbies game for 20 years, and therefore it might be 4th.
So its not about the laws, as you so often tell us.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Wont / Cant happen / and lots of reasons why but i'd like to see it;
Extend the Shute Shield out to 22 rounds.
Remove Penrith.
Put Tahs in 7th position.
Their home games are played at Penrith for the remainder of the season.
See how they go.

Brings soup players back to grass roots, creates an interest out West, has Shute players showing their skills, could form an NRC / Tah selection process.

If it started the past weekend it could have been 6 games and finals.

PS Penrith still plays their 1s V opponents 2s etc

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach, wrong Nick Phipps played 10 for Sydney Uni he still studying. I wasnt sure that Wallaby squad players could play?

Yes, but he wasn't named in the team on Wednesday. Jock Merriman was the 10 when I checked the teams. Phipps came in on Friday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fabulous game at Rat Park and Manly deserved winners. I don't think the Rats can go all the way with Josh Holmes at half. Just like all the years I've seen him in grade and Super level, he totally overplayed his hand today. Too many quick taps (yes I know Manly were offside in many of them, but the ref is not always going to pay that), too ball hungry and too lateral. I actually think he does the opposite of what a good half should do, which is bring others into the game. More often than not he runs away from his support or cramps his outside runners. I've believed it for years and today was my breaking point.

Credit to the Manly pigs. When they upped the ante in the second half this week they went the full 80. That last 10 minutes must have been excrutiating for Warringah fans and their players, with scrum after scrum.
Holmes does over do it, but he is 1/2 their points every
week. They may not be able to win it with him,but they cannot win without him.
That game was won and lost in the coaching box.
Coleman continues to pick the 2, despite his appalling stats on lineouts.
Subbing the prop late in the game, ended the Rats chances.
Why would you replace the best scrummaging TH in the club at that moment in the game? Panic can be the only explanation.
The hill left no one in doubt what they thought about his decision to sub Gillard.
Whilst he continues to favour underperforming players, he'll continue to come up short.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Why would you replace the best scrummaging TH in the club at that moment in the game? Panic can be the only explanation.
The hill left no one in doubt what they thought about his decision to sub Gillard.
Whilst he continues to favour underperforming players, he'll continue to come up short.

Those are all fair points and I totally agree that their hooker put them under pressure with his dirty day in the line out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I only saw the second half, but to my mind Holmes was absolutely useless. All he did was shovel the ball out, I did not see him try any sort of variation, certainly no darts, or even the occasional kick. I might have missed something, but from what I saw everything he did was totally predictable.

Plus he has always been a defensive black hole. But the lineouts were the real problem, for sure.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I only saw the second half, but to my mind Holmes was absolutely useless. All he did was shovel the ball out, I did not see him try any sort of variation, certainly no darts, or even the occasional kick. I might have missed something, but from what I saw everything he did was totally predictable.

Plus he has always been a defensive black hole. But the lineouts were the real problem, for sure.

He scored a try and set another one up in the first half and probably should have received penalties for the 2 quick taps he took as Manly weren't back 10.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He scored a try and set another one up in the first half and probably should have received penalties for the 2 quick taps he took as Manly weren't back 10.
game of 2 halves for him, he was on fire before oranges,and poison after.
He threw an intercept for one try, and threw a horrible long ball to the touchy instead if exiting,which set up the 10 minutes of scrums that cost them any chance.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

THe other explanation could be that he has a pre-programmed timetable to sub players and doesn't deviate regardless of circumstances. (Which is probably worse than panic)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
game of 2 halves for him, he was on fire before oranges,and poison after.
He threw an intercept for one try, and threw a horrible long ball to the touchy instead if exiting,which set up the 10 minutes of scrums that cost them any chance.

He's the kind of player who would frustrate the hell out of me as a team mate. Capable of great things and then get all ball hungry and/or take a dumb option at the worst possible moment. The question is does the good outweigh the bad? The Rats don't lack firepower and have a former Catchpole medalist in their backline, so why not use them a bit more Josh?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's the kind of player who would frustrate the hell out of me as a team mate. Capable of great things and then get all ball hungry and/or take a dumb option at the worst possible moment. The question is does the good outweigh the bad? The Rats don't lack firepower and have a former Catchpole medalist in their backline, so why not use them a bit more Josh?

In fairness, he's won the Rats more than a few games by overplaying his hand and it's come off. He's one of those players that you need to take the brilliant with the awful if you're going to pick him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agreed, if you're going to pick him. To me he's past his best but they possibly don't have anyone better.
No doubt he's past his best, he's still the best option by a considerable margin.
So you take the good with the bad.
He's undoubtedly won a few games for them this year.
Obviously he plays better with front foot ball,of which there was little in 2nd half.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Supporting Grass Roots Rugby - Marlins and their kit provider Paladin

Footy cards.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.