• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Bit of chatter early on in this thread about the SS impacting the NRC - the SS is looking great this year with alot of very close games.

Great double page spread in yesterdays Daily Telegraph that covered the FTA Tv and the generous investment from grass roots level.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/70d04a9bd767c34853b5e0d2396c33a5

Made reference to ratings and compared it to the Soup, has a pretty good following.

Beaches to Bush - great crowd out at Orange, great initiative to take the SS to the bush.

ss.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^What was the crowd like at Manly Oval yesterday? I didn't get back in time to get there, but I knew quite a few people who were going.

Wouldn't surprise me if 4 or 5 thousand turned up

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have only seen Mack Mason at this level once and the conditions were poor but, in my view, Archie King is a better fit for the Beasts and it causes me to wonder why Mason was signed by the tahs - prior rep selection goes a long way for a long time.

Well I wish I could say I could assist and answer - I've heard "in the system" used but what does that mean?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I have only seen Mack Mason at this level once and the conditions were poor but, in my view, Archie King is a better fit for the Beasts and it causes me to wonder why Mason was signed by the tahs - prior rep selection goes a long way for a long time.
Mason played U20s for Qld and also U20s for the Melbourne Storm in league before NRC with Qld Country. So not the usual pathway. Someone must have been impressed with him.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Club Rugby is setting the bench mark in rugby Australian at the moment IMO.

Being run professionally, and supported by grass roots.

Saw this on facebook last night from an u10 kid.

They had to create a landmark that doesn't exist. He decided on a big rugby ball monument in honour of the Shute Shield Club rugby competition.

ss.jpg

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Club Rugby is setting the bench mark in rugby Australian at the moment IMO.

Being run professionally, and supported by grass roots.

Saw this on facebook last night from an u10 kid.

They had to create a landmark that doesn't exist. He decided on a big rugby ball monument in honour of the Shute Shield Club rugby competition.

View attachment 9229

And being run by rugby people in the main, not by suits.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So what do we deduce from this? That professionalism was actually a mistake? Can't be that, because all these players are professionals.

Club rugby supporters are just not interested in the game at higher levels? Maybe. The ARC and NRC are proof of that.

Whatever the reasons, there is only one future for the game if club rugby is the apogee. Park footy.
What we deduce, is that Super footy has had its time.
These full time pros are attracting less spectators to the game, and less viewers than some of the amateur club games.
It's time to re invent or we will surely die.
Continuing to do,what we have always done, is not a satisfactory vision for our future.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
What we deduce, is that Super footy has had its time.
These full time pros are attracting less spectators to the game, and less viewers than some of the amateur club games.
It's time to re invent or we will surely die.
Continuing to do,what we have always done, is not a satisfactory vision for our future.

Super rugby has just made NZ rugby stronger and increased their depth. Not sure that the extra 2 teams have helped Oz rugby. They were supposed to stop players heading o/s but that hasn't happened. I believe we need to get back to a format that allows the Super players to play half the SS season like when we had the Tooheys New Cup.
(1) 10 teams in the SS (promotion and relegation?) playing 2 full home-and-away rounds
(2) reduce the number of Super rounds so that the 2nd round of the SS includes the pro players not involved with the Wallabies
(3) not sure we still need the NRC, but it can stay if people want it

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure about promotion/relegation.
I think the gap has widened, and I'm not in favour of a 10 team comp, cos the west is clearly going to wear the brunt of that decision.
We should be spending money out there, not eliminating them IMO

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys, rugby league crowds, and supporters aren't the same either from the old Windfield Cup played on Sundays, and recorded on the VCR.

I've seen some of the NZ games being played in stadiums equivalent to Concord, Brookvale Oval they are staying in touch with the people.

I reckon if NSW had a home game at Brookie they would generate a greater crowd than they to at the SFS, and play all 4 grades of a SS before hand.
Same could be done at a number of grounds around the state.

Its called staying in touch.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm not sure about promotion/relegation.
I think the gap has widened, and I'm not in favour of a 10 team comp, cos the west is clearly going to wear the brunt of that decision.
We should be spending money out there, not eliminating them IMO

I don't disagree with you about that, I've just given up thinking that it will ever happen seeing we've been saying that for 10+ years.

24thman

Frank Row (1)
Do Easts have an obligation each week to pick Mack Mason?
From what I've seen Archie King is a country mile ahead of Mason.
Mason didn't look like he had anything verse Randwick on tv, Archie always looked threatening back at 10 against Gordon on the weekend!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's the emporers new clothes....
They are in the Tahs squad,so they must be better than what we've got....

They are not being judged on what they do, but on who has previously signed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.