• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Finn Russell cops 2 weeks:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_32234,00.html

Seems a bit harsh, what was he supposed to do, take Biggar head on & get (accidentally) kicked or kneed in the face?

image.jpg

Scots intending to appeal.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Shows the rule the clubs have over the England set up know. No way should half the squad be released.

I think it is important to know which players have been released really. If it is players who haven't played much or at all then I don't see an issue. You can hardly expect them to be match sharp if they haven't played in 4 weeks. Now if its the likes of Cole, Attwood, Watson, etc who have played the last 2 matches then they should be rested.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ "The coach has retained the 15 players who started against Italy along with centre Billy Twelvetrees and winger Jack Nowell......."

So a bit of both, then.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ PlanetRugby also reporting he's been released back to Exeter.

Pape gets 10 weeks for his knee-slip on Heaslip:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_32427,00.html

Prior to Pape's suspension their squad for Wales was named:

Forwards: Eddy Ben Arous, Vincent Debaty, Uini Atonio, Rabah Slimani, Guilhem Guirado, Benjamin Kayser, Yoann Maestri, Pascal Papé, Jocelino Suta, Romain Taofifenua, Thierry Dusautoir, Wenceslas Lauret, Bernard Le Roux, Yannick Nyanga, Damien Chouly, Loann Goujon

Backs: Morgan Parra, Sébastien Tillous-Borde, Pierre Bernard, Camille Lopez, Rémi Talès, Mathieu Bastareaud, Gaël Fickou, Wesley Fofana, Rémi Lamerat, Sofiane Guitoune, Yoann Huget, Noa Nakaitaci, Brice Dulin, Scott Spedding

"With Papé suspended, Clermont second row Sébastien Vahaamahina has been called into the French squad to face Wales next weekend."

Match callers must be looking forward to that :)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I do think a hell of a lot of it is down to the ref. Munster V Cardiff had a young Scottish ref by the name of Lloyd Linton on Saturday night who was as good as any Ref I have seen in years. He was clear that tacklers were to release before contesting, even if they might have been 'assists'. The players quickly worked out what was and wasn't permissible. But the key to the game was he enforced offside, five in the first half I think I counted so there was actually some space in midfield. There were still jackals but the breakdown was so much more precise that there wasn't the need for monstrous clear outs and because the ball was being cleared more quickly the forwards ended up out of the way because they couldn't keep up. It was like going back in time.
I haven't watched that game yet. Is this Linton the anti-Barnes? Now I'm really looking forward to it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I haven't watched that game yet. Is this Linton the anti-Barnes? Now I'm really looking forward to it.
It is an excellent game of rugby, a real treat after the mud wrestling that the six nations resembles. I am hoping for more of the same in Llanelli this weekend but it is Deadly Dudley reffing which is a nightmare. Should be a strong Munster panel though.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Twice as long as Heaslip's ban for his knee. I would hope Heaslip's injury was not a factor.
I am not defending Heaslip's actions for a second, it was crazy. But to say it was out of character from Heaslip would be a massive understatement. I genuinely cannot remember him ever doing anything dirty before or since, it really was a complete aberration. Maybe others have seen stuff, but I just think he completely lost his head. Not to excuse Heaslip but he was kneed by Pape while doing precisely nothing illegal, unlike McCaw when Heaslip lost his head.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have seen a situation where a blatant and malicious shoulder charge snapped the target's (opposition team captain) collar bone. IIRC 8 weeks + in Club Rehab, unable to train, unable to work (carpenter playing semi-pro), unable to help their team in the competition. In short a season ending injury. The offender got 3 weeks during which time he was able to maintain his fitness, and earn money doing his "normal" work, and he was back on the field for the rest of the competition.

Where there is extreme recklessness in an illegal act that causes injury to a player, is there any support for the notion that the penalty suspension for that illegal act that sidelined a player for an extended period should start when the injured player returns to the field on full duty? Until the injured party is fully fit, the injuring party remains on suspension.

TL;DR. Should the offending party be suspended until the injured party returns to play, and then the judicial sanction applied?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Basing bans or any kind of injury is very dangerous territory. Factor in potential injury from the incident but factoring in how long a player is sidelined for is absurd.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I have seen a situation where a blatant and malicious shoulder charge snapped the target's (opposition team captain) collar bone. IIRC 8 weeks + in Club Rehab, unable to train, unable to work (carpenter playing semi-pro), unable to help their team in the competition. In short a season ending injury. The offender got 3 weeks during which time he was able to maintain his fitness, and earn money doing his "normal" work, and he was back on the field for the rest of the competition.

Where there is extreme recklessness in an illegal act that causes injury to a player, is there any support for the notion that the penalty suspension for that illegal act that sidelined a player for an extended period should start when the injured player returns to the field on full duty? Until the injured party is fully fit, the injuring party remains on suspension.

TL;DR. Should the offending party be suspended until the injured party returns to play, and then the judicial sanction applied?

What happens if foul play ends a fellas career? Dont know if Rob Hawkins has played since this incident, Calum Clark is in the England squad:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=calum+clark+breaks+arm

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Basing bans or any kind of injury is very dangerous territory. Factor in potential injury from the incident but factoring in how long a player is sidelined for is absurd.

Whilst I do agree with you, I think it has to be factored in with incidents like Pape and Calum Clark whose offences were completely unambiguous. I still think the police should have been involved for the Calum Clark arm break, the worst thing I have seen on a rugby field, made even worse because the fucking whistle had gone when he broke the poor fellas arm.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A variation on the old excuse "My dog ate my homework".

14 stitches - Fido must have been a fairly decent nibble on his schnoz.

Status
Not open for further replies.