• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
No, not in a million years. Gatland will never admit he's made a mistake.
As for your other points I totally agree the hierarchy at WRU are megalomaniac's & have been for years. Bowring was treated awfully as national coach after doing a good job in difficult circumstances whereas Ruddock actually won a grand slam & was still treated like garbage.
We could do with Rhys Ruddock now - he'd be far more dynamic at 6 than Lydiate. Ironically for him he'd have far more opportunities with Wales these days than Ireland as you have much more backrow depth than us. But good on him for making the most of his time in green. Sadly for Wales another who could take that spot in the national side is fully ensconced in the English set up - Ross Moriarty, even though dad Paul & uncle Richard are both former Welsh back-rowers of note.
Considering how shallow a pool of talent Wales has we don't half let some talent slip away.
And it is only going to get worse. Already I think the exodus of players is hurting Wales. Whilst a few are heading home I suspect that will be a blip until after the RWC when the rugby world is going to full on explode. Not sure things will be great for Ireland either and we will probably need JP McManus to help pay to keep Murray and POM in Munster but we are in a slightly stronger position since the lunatics were left in charge of the asylum by the Scottish Rugby Union.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not sure things will be great for Ireland either and we will probably need JP McManus to help pay to keep Murray and POM in Munster but we are in a slightly stronger position since the lunatics were left in charge of the asylum by the Scottish Rugby Union.

I think the governmental incentives are going to prove to be a major differentiator for Ireland in terms of retaining talent over the next 18 months.

Does any other nation have anything even remotely similar?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales' last try should not have been allowed. Davies ran a block, he was ahead of the ball carrier.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
But essentially, so long as Ireland keep performing and winning, Schmidt could pick Gerry Adams to start and no one would be in a position to criticise his selection.

sinn-fein-ard-fheis-10-630x422.jpg

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
But what players from Sale deserve to be in the team other than Cipriani? Who is on the bench behind Ford (Who is the form 10). Overall I think that the England squad is actually a decent reflection of player quality among the teams.

Good question. Aside from Bus Target Cipriani, Sale's better players are not England-qualified, and are on the wrong side of 30.

But you never let the facts get in the way of a good winge. It's kind of interesting how Sale is playing better in the wrong northern code than their stadium-mates Salford are in the right northern code.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Thats the Heaslip/Pape incident. Nah theres no way to excuse that as accidental. Its 100% on purpose.

He led with the knee, and connected with that first. Unless he can convince someone that you can clean out with your legs, that doesn't look good, or accidental.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Davies was the ball carrier.

Sorry not the last try - I meant Webb's try.

Davies was running ahead of Williams and got tackled - that's obstruction. He's allowed to run that line in support if he's behind Williams.

It's possible Pape was giving Kneeslip a taste of his own medicine.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry not the last try - I meant Webb's try.

Davies was running ahead of Williams and got tackled - that's obstruction. He's allowed to run that line in support if he's behind Williams.

On Twitter, Scottish supporters were complaining of Welsh obstruction, and Welsh supporters were complaining of the Scottish tackling a man off the ball. That was rather entertaining.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Who cares about our attack I say. Schmidt's winning us games on the back of a collosal injury crisis including back to back French wins and SH clean sweeps. That is enormous considering our rugby history.

I would argue our defence is arguably the best around right now, possibly our breakdown nuisance too. These are our strengths and we play them superbly. We're averaging 3 tries a game too, although this may be skewed by Georgia and Italy games.

If we get more of a run together with less injuries maybe the flashy stuff will come along then.

Ayup. Schmidt was known for the offloading when at Leinster, but he was working with those guys day-in and day-out. In this case he's just getting four Lions back from injury (and one of them just took a knee to the spine), he has two centers with only a handful of games together (as opposed to Drico and D'Arcy's psychic link from years of training together), and he doesn't have these players on a daily basis like he had Leinster. He's used that situation to build depth and have them just focus on the systems, which helps to develop some confidence (because they keep winning).

I don't think they're one-dimensional. We've seen flash from them before, and it's not like those same players just forgot what they were doing. It'll just take more than two games against enormously physical packs before things start to gel.

But that defense -- they can do a lot with that alone. Only one kick from hand didn't go just as Sexton planned, and most kicks had a chase on them before the ball came close to landing. That kind of pressure will and does result in errors and penalties. And then there's this kind of clean-out from O'Brien, where he runs five meters back to enter through the gate and takes Kockott, le Roux and Dussatoir two meters out of the ruck on his own:

sob-ruck-1.gif

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The Schmidt plan is to win the RWC. At the moment he is laying the foundations but he will have the players for months in the lead up to the RWC when I expect we will see a bit more rugby. I think we might see a bit more against England because their priority will be to play rather than stop as the French did, aided by one of the worst reffing performances at the tackle I can remember. Ireland's greater accuracy should sit well with Joubert reffing in Dublin. Will be a cracking game anyway.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Last night I watched the Scotland/Wales game. Having now watched 5 of the games played thus far, all I can say is god help us (and world rugby fans) come the world cup, if the six nations is anything to go by.

Don't get me wrong some of the games have been entertaining from the perspective of a rugby purist but there are a thousand hands in every ruck. The referees a seemingly happy to let the defensive teams slow the ball down provided they eventually let it out. It's criminal stuff. What ever happened to giving the advantage to the attacking side. No wonder the likes of England and Ireland just kick the crap out of it; it's impossible for teams to get any quick ball.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Last night I watched the Scotland/Wales game. Having now watched 5 of the games played thus far, all I can say is god help us (and world rugby fans) come the world cup, if the six nations is anything to go by.

Don't get me wrong some of the games have been entertaining from the perspective of a rugby purist but there are a thousand hands in every ruck. The referees a seemingly happy to let the defensive teams slow the ball down provided they eventually let it out. It's criminal stuff. What ever happened to giving the advantage to the attacking side. No wonder the likes of England and Ireland just kick the crap out of it; it's impossible for teams to get any quick ball.

It really does depend on the ref. Some refs such as Romain Pete will give the attacking team real leniency at ruck time. I've seen defensive players supporting their weight for seemingly an eternity over the ball for an attacking player to eventually clear them out without him blowing up. Contrast that to Barnes at the Ire France game and the defensive team just had to support their bodyweight over the ball for a split second before he accepts a turnover.

I'm not surprised anyway the 6N has become supremely tactical and defence orientated as years go by. It's not harming the game too much as the tournament is tradition driven rather than pure entertainment.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
That might work fine for the Six Nations but the IRB needs to ensure that teams are able to play ball in hand rugby at the world cup. That means cracking down on teams slowing the ball at the ruck and just as importantly, ensuring the defence line remains onside. I'm not just saying that because the Australian team, more so than most other teams will rely on running rugby to win games (although that is true), but also because the world cup should be an advertisement of our game to the world.

I highly doubt this six nations style rugby is going to win over many casual aussie viewers, particularly when the games are on in the early hours of the morning.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Offside coupled with tacklers contesting without releasing the tackler is turning international rugby into a turgid affair. There is nothing wrong with kicking, per se, but when it is the only option available because the ref is as bad as Barnes was in the Ire V France game then it makes for a dull game.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Offside coupled with tacklers contesting without releasing the tackler is turning international rugby into a turgid affair. There is nothing wrong with kicking, per se, but when it is the only option available because the ref is as bad as Barnes was in the Ire V France game then it makes for a dull game.
Did you see Tony Ward's piece in the Irish Independent? His answer to the turgid affair is to reduce the players to 13, rugby league style.

I'm not sure that's the answer.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I do think a hell of a lot of it is down to the ref. Munster V Cardiff had a young Scottish ref by the name of Lloyd Linton on Saturday night who was as good as any Ref I have seen in years. He was clear that tacklers were to release before contesting, even if they might have been 'assists'. The players quickly worked out what was and wasn't permissible. But the key to the game was he enforced offside, five in the first half I think I counted so there was actually some space in midfield. There were still jackals but the breakdown was so much more precise that there wasn't the need for monstrous clear outs and because the ball was being cleared more quickly the forwards ended up out of the way because they couldn't keep up. It was like going back in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.