• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
as much as i admire his abilities as an athlete... his character is shameful
who does he think he is to rock into nz in a world cup year, don the all black, take the piss out of it by competing in another sport at the same time (knowing the pride others wear the jersey with) then fuck off to france the next year for a pay packet.
everything the all black stands for my god> even a true blue aussie here thinks thats disrespectful
i hope he stays in nz next year and proves me wrong... but if he isnt planning on it big richie or some of the all black greats need to pull him aside and give him some words

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
How is he taking the piss out of the ABs jumper. Jeff Wilson would have played both cricket and rugby at the same time if the seasons didnt clash... He's got the talent so good on him.
Boxing training is probably the best exercise there is anyway.. better than being off on the piss on a bye week I would've thought...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
who does he think he is to rock into nz in a world cup year, don the all black, take the piss out of it by competing in another sport at the same time (knowing the pride others wear the jersey with) then fuck off to france the next year for a pay packet.
everything the all black stands for my god> even a true blue aussie here thinks thats disrespectful
i hope he stays in nz next year and proves me wrong... but if he isnt planning on it big richie or some of the all black greats need to pull him aside and give him some words

Hater

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
jay-c, he arrived last year and played NPC and is already capped. What this says to me is that the coaches were taking note of his play in France. And so they should have, he had a couple of stand out games that I saw and steadily improved his play each week.

Now he's learning what Super rugga is all about and again steadily improving with glimpses of the skillset he demonstrated playing league.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

He went to France, played 2nd division until he proved himself enough to play in the Toulon XV... rejected a $6M ($6 MILLION!!!) contract offer from Toulon to instead return to NZ to have a crack at the All Blacks. He then signed with the Crusaders and turned out for Belfast in the Canterbury local competition before getting the chance coming off the bench for Canterbury in the ITM competition and has since shined in the Super competition.

To me that isn't the kind progression in the game from someone with a shameful character. He has been modest and unassuming throughout his time in rugby, he hasn't used his status to push for any selections, instead going through the grassroots channels where practical to prove himself. I've been very impressed with both his ability and his character so far in our game.

Z

Zeno

Another point, is he the best athlete on the planet?
No. There would be many thousands of gymnasts, decathletes & heptathletes, tennis players, Aussie Rules players, martial artists... the elite from dozens of sports around the world, who would outstrip any rugby player and/or boxer in the all-round athlete stakes.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
make no mistake about it, money bill did not go to france to learn the trade, he went for the millions of dollars
my isuue with him is that he has not signed on further than the world cup, suggesting he is going to play in it then leave- which i think is disrespectful to the traditions of the all black. the all black is the most prized posession in nz. in fact im very envious that our gold does not mean the same thing. -you dont just wear it when it suits you
i agree he has been humble in his interviews and playing for Canterbury in the npc was good for him to prove himself but i get the feeling that wearing the all black is just another string to his bow for him, once hes ticked that box he'll go do something else- which if he was treating the gold like that id be a real hater.
as i said, i hope he stays in nz to prove me wrong- but i wouldnt be surprised if he goes an plays nfl next

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
make no mistake about it, money bill did not go to france to learn the trade, he went for the millions of dollars
my isuue with him is that he has not signed on further than the world cup, suggesting he is going to play in it then leave- which i think is disrespectful to the traditions of the all black.
He is not the only one in the RWC who has done that! Look at QC (Quade Cooper) for starters.
SBW acted like a dog when he snuck off to France. That is his only blemish. His actions before and after that episode have been faultless.
Who cares if he goes off to try NFL, NHL or NBL after his contract expires. No one owns him.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
When he left Mungo to get some $ in France, I thought he was an absolute prick. I thought his management team steered him wrong and he was just chasing the $. Since he went to NZ to chase an AB jersey, to me he has all the right things. His boxing was part of his contract, even for a big fella, you have to be extremely fir to box, which can only help his strength on the field. His skills are still improving IMO, to be at this level, after playing rugby for only a few years is pretty impressive. I've read articles and rumours that he and his management are now seeing the possibility of big $ by staying in NZ after the RWC and reckon he is a good chance of playing a few more seasons in Super Rugby.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As a testiment to his character the boxing match he is considering organising is a fund raising event for the Canterbury Earthquake victims. He is not doing it just to fill in time or out of a whim.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i'm hesitant to relate the character of player to anything that comes out in the papers about contracts or negotiations. they're not often a smooth process where everyone leaves the table happy. rumors get around, press leaks are started.... you get the idea.

and let's face it, most player agents are cocks. the players they represent don't have to be.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't mind him boxing but he got a hold of Anthony Mundines little black book with every phone number of every dud that ever gloved up so it's more like hitting mobile punching bags.

He should fight Hoppa at least his prostate will be safe as the gloves are checked & taped up before every fight.

As far a rugby goes he is the best Kiwi # 12 going around ATM & Nonu ain't even 2nd that would be McAlistair.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sonny Bill Williams has just become a Chief!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/sonny-bill-stays-in-nz-becomes-a-chief-20111031-1mrll.html

All Blacks midfielder Sonny Bill Williams has signed up for another year with New Zealand rugby and is switching his Super Rugby allegiance to the Chiefs.

Former NRL star Williams was coy about his playing future while helping the All Blacks win the Rugby World Cup earlier this month, prompting speculation he may head abroad, and possibly even back to rugby league.

The fact he has signed a new deal with the New Zealand Rugby Union for only one year means the speculation will continue to linger in 2012.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Williams joined Super Rugby powerhouse the Crusaders for his first season in New Zealand this year but is leaving their earthquake-hit Christchurch base to link with perennial also-rans the Chiefs in Hamilton.

The NZRU's Neil Sorensen welcomed his retention.

"He's a special player who creates some real excitement and interest in the game with his style of rugby.

"We're looking forward to seeing him create some more excitement in a Chiefs, as well as an All Blacks, jersey next year."

The deal will allow the aspiring boxer to continue to take part in a limited number of professional bouts.

Williams joins departing All Blacks assistant coach Wayne Smith in moving to the Chiefs and the franchise's new coach Dave Rennie is delighted to have the offload king in his squad.

"We're rapt Sonny's joining the Chiefs. He had a very good World Cup and his professionalism and work ethic will have a great influence on what is a very young team," Rennie said.

Williams had tipped off his twitter followers that he would join the Waikato-based franchise, tweeting "I hear Hamilton is nice".

Williams is currently en route for a holiday in Panama.

A

Army_Gav

Guess he's true to his word of moving closer to the family in Auckland.

Wonder if he'll be down for the preseason game against the Rebels.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not a fan of one year contracts for guys who could easily get longer contracts, it just smacks of arrogance and a lack of commitment, a gun for hire chasing money rather than playing for a team, for their mates. Well done on sticking to the same sport (boxing not included, not because it's not a sport but generally the other guy has to punch back) but I can't help but wonder if this constant chopping and changing will do more harm than good in the end.

Ps. Khoder's a Khunt. The sooner SBW and Quade disassociate themselves from him the better. He can keep mundine.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I was hoping for he would go to the Blues....imagine that backline!! As it is we still have something like:

9. Mathewson (Weepu)
10. Weepu (Anscombe, Munroe)
11. Wulf (Stowers)
12. Nonu
13. Stanley (Ranger)
14. Ranger (Stowers)
15. Toeava

Not too shabby......not a lot of depth though I have to say :(

Still, I'm glad he's staying in NZ.

J

Jay

I was hoping for he would go to the Blues....imagine that backline!! As it is we still have something like:

9. Mathewson (Weepu)
10. Weepu (Anscombe, Munroe)
11. Wulf (Stowers)
12. Nonu
13. Stanley (Ranger)
14. Ranger (Stowers)
15. Toeava

Not too shabby......not a lot of depth though I have to say :(

Still, I'm glad he's staying in NZ.

Chiefs won't be too bad, with

9 - Leonard
10 - Cruden
11 - Masaga
12 - SBW
13 - Kahui
14 ?
15 - Nanai-Williams.

Considering they've lost Donald, Muliaina and Sivivatu, that's pretty good.

Besides the Blues will be getting Ted as a consultant of some sort apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.