• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Phantom blogger I'm sure they didn't stumble across the clubs, they have been actively pursued by the clubs. I think it's positive that the clubs have been proactive.

In regards to the Colts competition that you mention, I think it would have a detrimental effect on the majority of clubs. There is an avenue for players under the age of 18 to play grade footy if they can get signed off by their parents and a Level II Coach.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With so many fat 3rd graders running around, it provides a perfect platform for juniors to come into the senior ranks with a very, very soft landing. Maybe an incentive for more clubs to develop their 3rd grade program

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU Round Four Preview:
Hopefully we will start to see some more settled teams on the paddock over the coming weeks, I’ve listed two potential matches of the round this week as there are some good match ups that will impact the competition this week.

CSU (2) v Griffith (5) Match of the Round?

Will the CSU Flyer Brett Wendt run away with this one? Talk during the week has been that this guy should be running around for the SIRU Rep Team at the Brumbies Provincial Championships this year, which may be a little premature but if he’s got the wheels that they say he has, he should be getting a look in at least. For the Uni team, Paul Hood will be a lynchpin in this game and in particular, his knack for tactical kicking to relieve pressure.

The Blacks had a wakeup call last week at the hands of the Steamers in Griffith and will be looking to work on their set-piece this weekend if they are serious about the season. Vaea Mateo has been impressive in the centres for the Blacks so far this season and he may have a job on his hands if the Blacks are any hope of shutting down the CSU attack out wide.

Waratahs (8) v Deniliquin – 2nd Grade Only

The bye couldn’t come at a better time for the Waratahs Social Committee with the Wagga Gold Cup being run today!

Temora (7) v City (6) Match of the Round?

My scouts tell me that Temora ran out deserved winners last weekend even if they bagged a couple of runaway tries. Some tactical changes for the Tuskers have brought about some positive impacts on the team and they have been well served by their Reserve Grade team including some Fijian influence.

Wagga City ran up an impressive score line against a valiant Tumut Bulls outfit last week but will need to play a much more solid game this weekend against a Tuskers team that will tackle all day. Sometimes I wonder if the Tuskers would rather defend than attack give the potency and enthusiasm of some of their hits! The Lagaali boys can defend when they want to which will be interesting to see which team gains an advantage in this area of the match, particularly in relation to ball security.

As with the Griffith CSU matchup, this game will let both teams know what they are capable of as they progress during the season. City are looking to win a Premiership this year and the Tuskers are looking to mix it with the big boys and take some scalps along the way.

Albury (1) v Leeton (4)

Following on from a convincing win over the Griffith Blacks last week, the Steamers will be looking to build on their scrum platform and will need to be on top of this area of their game against the much improved Phantoms this week. Leeton have had a strong forward pack for a number of seasons now, but have been fortunate to recruit some key players in the backline that will greatly assist their cause this year.

Young (10) v Ag College (3)

The Yabbies will be keen to get this match out of the way as they are still sweating on some key players returning to the fold. Richard Turnbull has stated that there are only two positions in his starting XV that are confirmed (Ben Leaper and Dave Armstrong) at this stage of the year which will only make the rest of his top 30 players keen to fight for a spot in First Grade.

Cootamundra (9) v Tumut (11)

The Bulls travel down to Country Club Oval this week after a tough week out last week and will be keen to show their forward prowess. The Bulls forward pack matched it with the City pack last week and are definitely the strength that provides go forward and momentum. Cootamundra have become a more settled team in recent weeks, despite some key players not being involved this week they will be looking to Alex Hardie to lead from the front again in this match.

Pomdad

Frank Row (1)
Phantom blogger I'm sure they didn't stumble across the clubs, they have been actively pursued by the clubs. I think it's positive that the clubs have been proactive.

In regards to the Colts competition that you mention, I think it would have a detrimental effect on the majority of clubs. There is an avenue for players under the age of 18 to play grade footy if they can get signed off by their parents and a Level II Coach.

Clubs can actively recruit players from all over the world on an interactive web site run by a couple of N/Z fellers sorry can't remember the details, if any body wants them I can get them. Players fill in there details, clubs have a look, pick a player they like and bobs your uncle. As for payments, I can only speak of my boy who was recruited by city last year, collection from the airport an accommodation was his "payment" . Like you said he had a fantastic summer and is now back at city looking forward to another fabulous season. I would like to thank you and the other contributors for keeping me in touch with city's and the boy's progress.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Pomdad Thanks for the feedback mate, I'm glad you like it.

I agree 100% with your post, the proactive clubs are the ones that will reap the rewards from some initiative and networking. I think more clubs should be looking at these options.

I don't want to see clubs spending big money on players, but if they identify a key weakness in their roster and can fill it with a player who may want to visit another country and is willing to work for someone associated with the club, it's a win-win

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pomdad, welcome to G&GR, the world's premier rugby website. You've scored the quinella, your lad's enjoying rugby in the sporting capital of the western world, Wagga Wagga. Shame it's those pussycats, City.

If you feel like passing on your insights about Pommy rugby we'd like to read them.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Four Results:

First Grade:
CSU 29 bt Griffith 19
Albury 91 bt Leeton 0
Ag College 64 bt Young 7
Coota 29 bt Tumut 27
City 44 bt Temora 7

2nd Grade;
CSU 47 d Griffith 0, Waratahs 19 d Deniliquin 9, Wagga City 32 d Temora 5, Wagga Ag College 38 d Young 12, Albury 31 d Leeton 15, Tumut 7 d Cootamundra 0

3rd Grade;
CSU 30 d Griffith 0, RARC 24 d Waratahs 19, Junee 60 d Wagga Ag College 7

Under 17s;
Wagga Waratahs 39 d Griffith 14, Wagga City 40 d Young 0

Women's;
Albury 17 drew with Leeton 17, Temora 29 d Wagga City 24, Griffith 51 d CSU 0

Next Saturday- Round 5

Wagga Ag College v Albury, Leeton v CSU, Griffith v Wagga Waratahs, Tumut v Young, Wagga City v Cootamundra, Deniliquin v Temora

B

ben wal

Will be interesting to see what Albury do to Young, Steamers definitely team to beat. Was impressed with the Leeton backline but there is room for improvement. Shaping up to be a pretty good season

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Will be interesting to see what Albury do to Young, Steamers definitely team to beat. Was impressed with the Leeton backline but there is room for improvement. Shaping up to be a pretty good season

I'd be more interested in the outcome of the Albury v Ag College match than Albury v Young. Only 5 points separated Albury and Aggies in 4 matches last year.

I think the competition is a lot more open than some pundits would like to admit. There are at least 6 teams that have the ability to push for top 4 honours if they want it or at the very least be competitive with those teams that do make the top 4.

Phantom blogger

Frank Row (1)
The game between yabbies v aggies was a lot closer then what the score reflects. With the aggies just too fit and young waiting on some players to return.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The game between yabbies v aggies was a lot closer then what the score reflects. With the aggies just too fit and young waiting on some players to return.

Fitness seems to be a key issue early in the season. The Steamers have had a very intense pre-season and it has showed in their legs. The first quarter of the game against Leeton was very tight - I think 1 try. But after about 20 minutes the Phantoms legs gave way and that was that. Didn't help that their inside centre insisted on rushing the line and kept creating simple overlaps.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 ROUND FIVE PREVIEW:

While there is a clear Match of the Round this week with the Grand Final replay of Aggies v Albury, there are three matches that will have an impact on how the competition pans out later in the season when Griffith host Waratahs, CSU travel to Leeton and City at home to Cootamundra.

Will the Premier Division/First Division split be influenced by these games? With the winners gaining the upper hand in the race for the Premier Division with Griffith, Leeton and Cootamundra all tied up at 10 points-a-piece on the Premiership Ladder, any points this weekend will help their cause.

Will Round Five come back to haunt these clubs?

Leeton (7) v CSU (2)
After a tough day at the office last week, the Phantoms will be looking to make amends against CSU this weekend. Reddies have been the surprise packet of the competition to date and will be keen to carry on with the progress they have made thus far. CSU’s speedy outside backs will be their strength while Leeton will be looking to their tight five to provide momentum.

Griffith (6) v Waratahs (5)
This is a crucial match for each club as they build for the season and both teams will be looking to take away maximum points in this game. Waratahs have been unlucky to lose Jayden Stanton for the season with a knee injury which might see Matt Binks back at #10 this week. Griffith should be stronger at home and will be smarting with the loss of veteran all-rounder Aaron Lawrence but should be comforted by the form of Enoch Tia.

Deniliquin v Temora (9) – 2nd Grade Only

Ag College (3) v Albury (1) – MATCH OF THE ROUND
This 2012 Grand Final replay was always going to be the highlight of this round. These guys have played some good games against each other in recent seasons and this match will be no different.

Sandy Middleton and Richard Manion seem to have formed a good working relationship at 9 and 10 for the Steamers which will probably hold them in good stead for this match. Aggies stalwart and standout #9 for this competition Peter Armstrong has been a hole that Aggies have been trying to fill since last season and the performance Malone at ( and his combination with ex-Reddie Jack Burey will be a key to the result this weekend.

You couldn’t do a preview on this match without mentioning Dave Armstrong and Nathan Bright who are two standout performers at #8 for their respective clubs. Both strong leaders, they will have an impact on the outcome of this game.

I’m not sure what to make of the recent form of either team, they are both coming into this matchup undefeated but neither team has been really tested so far in the competition as evidenced by their similar For and Against tally. Either way, this game will be one to watch and neither team will give an inch this weekend.

Tumut (11) v Young (10)
These guys have had some tough hit outs in the past and this matchup will be no different. Neither team has posted a win this season and will be looking for their first gong of the season here. Luke Eldridge has been adamant that his charges are still building and Tumut have been in a similar position as they work on their game plan for the year.

Wagga City (4) v Coota (8)
This match will be a tough hitout for both teams. Wagga City will be smarting from some brutal Tuskers defence last week and they will probably be looking at more of the same from the Tri-Colours this week. Cootamundra haven’t had a chance to get into stride yet this year and should be starting to hit their straps about now. Wagga City have been plugging along well so far but need to win these sort of games as they work towards the pointy end of the season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Five Results

First Grade:
City 57 bt Coota 7
Albury 58 bt Aggies 7
Tumut 41 bt Young 24
Griffith 20 bt Tahs 11
CSU 33 bt Leeton 29

2nd Grade;
Wagga ag College 40 d Albury 5, City 60 d Coota 10, Tumut 36 d Young 5, CSU 19 d Leeton 5, Griffith 42 d Waratahs 0

3rd Grade;
Ag College 43 d Albury 12, Griffith 48 d Waratahs 0, Hay 19 d Junee 12

Under 17s;
Waratahs 33 d Griffith 26, City 57 d Leeton 19

Women's;
Leeton 43 d CSU 5, Albury 37 d Wagga Ag College 5

Next Saturday- Round 6
CSU v Wagga Ag College, Wagga Waratahs v Leeton, Temora v Griffith, Albury v Tumut, Young v Cootamundra, Deniliquin v Wagga City (2nd Grade only)

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Will be an interesting looking backline for ag college this week.

Too funny, last weeks inside centre is out due to a quad injury picked up running the touch line in 3rd grade. Safe to say he wont do that again.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Just saw the DA report from Les Muir suggesting that the Steamers success is based on $$. He is completely off the mark.

"Even worse still is the dilly of a pickle in the Southern Inland Rugby Union premiership.
Already Albury has the SIRU crown on lay-by. This became clearly evident when the Steamers massacred Ag College 58-7 in Wagga on Saturday in a rematch of last year’s grand final.
Ag College won the 2012 title, but the wheels are off this year, leaving Albury way out in front of CSU and Wagga City.
Unfortunately, an 11 team SIRU competition is down to three possible chances, but only one likely outcome.
Sadly, this is the way of football these days. Money talks and this means the better players will always congregate at the clubs with the bulging budgets."

I can guarantee the Steamers are as broke as the next club and no players are paid. Actually like most country clubs, the players actually pay to play. Either way, he's just given the Steamers a little bit more motivation - go figure. Besides, the season so far mirrors the 2012 season which became a lot more competitive the longer the season went. I dont see any real difference this year

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't know why you waste your time reading it namtrak !!! Les Muir is a deadest goose, Pam Whaley's articles show more insight into the competition than Les' efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.