• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There was one interesting thing from the game between City and Albury on the weekend. Whilst Albury have been hard pressed to field their best 15 all year (next week being no excpetion) I would be willing to bet that City approached the game as an experiment. They were beset by 'injuries' right across the field, and had a distinct game plan of kicking the ball deep into the corners as much as possible. If they had a more polished chasing game then it might have borne more fruit - maybe a portent of things to come. I think there is possibly some benefit in not finishing 2nd this year and thereby dodging the Steamers until the Grand Final and I wonder if this is in the mind of the other 3 coaches.

Also in another potentially ominous sign. Whilst Dave S was ostensibly happy with the result in those conditions, he did call for a bigger effort where it was felt the Steamers 'dropped the ball' a bit - I would hate think what havoc 80 minutes of the Steamers juggernaut could create

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Sixteen Preview:
The top four in Premier Division is decided following last week’s games, now the clubs just need to work out who fits where in that mix. One thing for certain is that Albury are the Minor Premiers and Club Champions for 2013. Another big week of footy in the SIRU this weekend with a double header on out at CSU as Aggies host Griffith and CSU host City, that will be a busy day at Beres Ellwood for sure!

Premier Division:
Waratahs (4) v Albury (1)
Traditional rivals on the field and old mates off the field, some would say. . . There’s definitely no love lost between the Steamers and their old foe the Wagga Waratahs and there will be plenty of feeling in this clash on Saturday.

Waratahs will be smarting following the loss of classy #8 Jake Eaglesham who damaged his retina before last week’s game and is out for the season. Eaglesham has been a standout for the Tahs all season and I’m sure Coach Palmer would have been looking forward to seeing him and Dave Bowden on the field together for the finals series. Tahs have been lucky to pick up some international flavour, the most notable of which is British 5/8 Euan Bonner who has been leading the Tahs around the paddock well. He’s going to have his work cut out for himself this weekend.

Albury will be keen to keep working on their own game this weekend and from all reports, Wal Stuart and Steve Stone want their charges to sharpen their focus and internal discipline as the Steamers move towards the finals. The most notable movement at Albury for me has been the steady progression of their second grade team as they climb up the ladder to get themselves into contention for a finals spot in the Premier Division. This may be a symptom of their rotation policy in First Grade or players returning from injury, but I’ve seen some handy footy players running around in 2nd grade for the Steamers recently and if that’s anything to go by, keep an eye on this team over the coming weeks.

Ag College (5) v Griffith (6)
This match is a potential Grand Final preview now for these two teams who may want to keep an eye on Temora in the First Division. The Premier Division Finals now elude these two teams, but they need to keep their minds on the job over the next few weeks of the competition as they will play in the First Division finals series.

My mail says that Aggies played some solid footy against Tahs last week and that they threw everything they had at the Tahs and were held up over the line on a number of occasions. That fact may suggest that the result could have been different if things had gone their way a little bit in that match.

Griffith will need to be wary of a wounded Ag College outfit this weekend as they travel to Beres Ellwood Oval. The Blacks entered the 2013 season with a fair bit of hype surrounding them and their results have probably not ended up where they would like. 2013 has definitely been an improvement on 2012 but I’m sure the Blacks will be keen to show the competition what they are made of over the coming weeks.

CSU (2) v City (3) – Match of the Round
The winner of this match plays Albury next week and gets a second bite at the cherry if they lose, that is the motivation for these two teams and they will both be pumped for the occasion. Both teams have played Albury recently and I would imagine are looking forward to the opportunity to play them again during the grand final.

Wagga City have been beset by injuries over the past few weeks which are now on the mend and they appear to be on the rise again this season. City got off to a solid start to the season but have arguably come back to the pack in recent weeks and I think they will be out to flex some muscle on Saturday. Standouts for the Boiled Lollies this season have been Gordon and Eddie Lagaali who need to put in a solid performance for their side tomorrow.

Wagga City will welcome back home town boy Justin Sheridan who has recently relocated back to Wagga and has been running around for them anywhere from Inside Centre to Blindside Breakaway. City will want Justin working hard for them for the full 80mins this weekend against a CSU team that will play til the death.

CSU will have their backs to the wall this weekend and have everything to play for. Their season got off to a cracking start but they have not been able to maintain that same lustre for the past few weeks and this weekend is the perfect opportunity for them to turn it on again. The Boiled Lollies large forward pack will be keen to assert their dominance over the slighter CSU forwards who have played admirably during the season, particularly as they give away a few kilo’s to the majority of the competition.

The backs will be reasonably well matched, the centre pairings for both teams will be crucial in deciding the fate of either team. Both sides have some handy operators in that middle area of the field and they need to bring their A-game into this encounter.

My mail says that this match will be a cracker of a hit out and will showcase the strengths of both teams. CSU and City will be on a mission this weekend as they both want that second crack at the Steamers.

First Division:
Deni v Coota (9) – 2nd Grade Only

Tumut (10) v Leeton (8)
While Tumut haven’t had a great year to date, this match will be a tough gig for the Phantoms and I would expect a cold welcome for them on the field this weekend. Tumut’s last home game for the year and an opportunity to make life tough for the Phantoms will be the motivation for the Bulls in this one. Leeton will want to fire in this match also, although they are guaranteed a spot in the finals, they will be keen to work together as a group as they have a tough assignment against the Tri Colours in Week one of the finals.

Young (11) v Temora (7)
Temora have been putting some solid performances together since the split and I would suggest that they are kicking themselves for some close losses in the regular season that cost them a spot in the Premier Division. Although the Yabbies have not had a great year, they will want to walk off the field with their heads held high this weekend.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013Round Sixteen Results:

Premier Division:
First Grade:
CSU 17 bt City 15
Albury 50 bt Tahs 7
Ag College 59 bt Griffith 31

2nd Grade;
Waratahs 20 d Albury 12, Ag College 53 d Griffith 3, CSU 36 d City 19

First Division:
First Grade:
Temora 62 bt Young 7
Tumut 28 bt Leeton 10

2nd Grade;
Temora 10 d Young 7, Tumut 22 d Leeton 10,

3rd Grade;
Hay 36 d Waratahs 0, Ag College (1) 30 d Ag College (2) 0, RARC 17 d CSU 14, Junee 30 d City 0

Under 17s;
Waratahs 20 d Leeton 13, Young 50 d Griffith 12

Women's 7- A-Side;
Griffith 59 d Ag College 0, City 61 d Albury 0, CSU 27 d Temora 20

Next Saturday - Week 1 Finals at Conolly Rugby Complex

Premier Division
Major Semi Finals
1st Grade
Albury v CSU

2nd Grade;
Wagga Ag College v Wagga City

Minor Semi Finals
1st Grade:
Wagga City v Waratahs

2nd Grade:
Waratahs v CSU

1st Division
Elimination Finals;

1st Grade;
Temora v Tumut

Leeton v Cootamundra

2nd Grade;
Deniliquin v Leeton

Temora v Young

Womens' 7- A - Side
Elimination Finals;
Wagga City v Albury

Temora v CSU

at Kapooka

3rd Grade
Major Semi Final;
Hay v Junee

Minor Semi Final
Wagga Ag College v RARC

Under 17s;
Major Semi Final;
Wagga Waratahs v Leeton

Minor Semi Final
Wagga City v Young

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
It is now the best time of the rugby year. Tell your teams to presume absolutely NOTHING. It is now finals time so anything may and will happen and time for all the "April Premiers" to stop the talk and walk the walk. All the soothsayers & prophets are talking rain for Saturday so that will make it even more unpredictable. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Roll on Saturday.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I'm sure Pam Whaley's top 20 SIRU players will get a few conversations started round the zone!
Agree with a number of her assessments but for me Richard Mannion is the standout player in this competition. He pulled us to pieces a few weeks ago and whilst I was unable to cry due to the driving rain in my face it was just possible to accept that this was a great player giving us a lesson.
A few I'd throw into the mix:
Rhys Blackburn - City hooker , absolutely tireless and was Jock's back up at SIRU championship
James Kora - Albury Scrum.Big man, big presence and bloody hard to stop!
Jarrod Bryant - keeps on keeping on. Fearless leader.
Matt Binks - the Tahs outside back is in my opinion a handful in attack. And he'll fix you if you're broken !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Bubba You beat me to it!

Pam Whaley's Top 20 Anyone got any thoughts? Bill McCrone probably unlucky to make the cut. I would agree that James Kora is also an essential ingredient for the Steamers - he is (apparently/allegedly) among the top try scorers for the Steamers this season.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Good on her for having a go - creates some interest in the game in the region.

Yeh there's a few Steamers that could sit easily in the list. Kora, Meakins are big front row units - with Meakins matching Kora in the second half of the season. Schiska on the side of the scrum is probably the players player for the Steamers, they love how he goes about his business. Herden and Levett have shaded Liam Krautz for openside for the earlier part of the year, but injuries and unavailability gave Liam his shot and they have had to find other path ways into the team. Alexander and Wheatley are all class with long representative records behind them, but I guess early unavailability played against them. Another unsung hero is Blake Le Cornu, Mr Fixit has slotted into every position in the backline plugging gaps from injury and absence - this has probably worked a bit against him in establishing a higher profile.

socks out

Frank Row (1)
Good effort from Pam, pretty good list.

I'd have included Mathias Aliard or one of the Cookes from Leeton maybe, and Le Cornu as mentioned before has been great for Albury.

City vs Tahs will be huge this weekend and Albury should get up easily over CSU

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Finals Week One Preview:
It’s time for the real rugby players to please stand up, the serious footy to kick off and for the finals to roll on. Bring it on, lay everything on the table and let it all hang out from here on in. No team should be lacking for motivation over the coming weeks – the equation is simple, score more points than the opposition.

Will Albury continue their barnstorming ways? Have City still got fuel in the tank after a bruising season? Are Tahs really on the rise? What will CSU pull out of their bag of tricks for the finals? Are the Tuskers contenders for the First Division? Will Coota be there when the whips are cracking? What will Leeton and Tumut bring to the Finals Series?

There are plenty of questions this week and there’s only one way to answer them all and that’s to silence the critics with a win.

Premier Division
First Grade:
Albury (1) v CSU (2) – CRP #1 @ 2:55pm Ref: M Del Gigante
Arguably the match of the day and one that may well define the competition. Albury have swept all before them this season and are short favourites to bag a win this week. A quick squiz at the ladder will show you that Albury have an average winning score of 51-9 after 16 Rounds which is quite impressive! CSU on the other hand actually have a negative points differential (-3) in 2nd place and an average score of 28-28 which is also an interesting stat!

For me, this match will come down to defence and CSU’s ability to last the full 80mins. The real strength of CSU was demonstrated against City last week where they toughed it out against a much larger team and simply hung in there and wore down their opponents. This is the risk that the Steamers face coming into this match – CSU will not give up and the Steamers need to stick to their systems against gritty opposition.

On the other side of the coin, it is impossible to ignore the sheer dominance that the Steamers have displayed all season. My mail says there are some injuries for the Steamers this weekend but given the new found depth that the club is experiencing I doubt this will be an issue. The Steamers have a hard working forward pack and a slick, classy backline. They are spoiled for choice in those key playmaker positions at 10, 12, 13 with the likes of Olds, Wheatley, Manion and the evergreen Alexander lurking with intent.

CSU have their own answer to the 10 position with Paul Hood steering the ship and one of the hallmarks of Reddies in 2013 has been their unpredictability. Paul Hood knows how to play finals footy and when to take his chances and the Steamers need to be on their toes in this regard.

If the local weatherman is to be believed, it’s going to be a wet track in Wagga this weekend with showers forecast for late Friday night and a maximum temperature of 12°C on Saturday. Who knows how this will impact on the game – will it make it tighter, will it play into the hands of the larger Albury forwards, will it cause more errors? Either way, I can’t wait to see how things roll in this one.

Keep an eye on: Nathan Bright and Sterling Ross at #8, Richard Manion and Paul Hood at #10

Wagga City (3) v Waratahs (4) – CRP #1 @ 4:30pm Ref: P Dean
The old enemy meet again. In recent years, this would have been a lay down misere to the Tahs but this is definitely not the case this season. City have been one of the standout sides of the competition in 2013 and despite a mid-season lull they have some firepower across the field which will impact on this match.

Tahs got off to a seriously shaky start to the season but Coach Palmer has been able to steady the ship over the past 6 weeks or so and the Tahs appear to be on the charge again. Jake Eaglesham will be sorely missed after detaching his retina in a season ending injury but they will be buoyed by the recent return of Dave Bowden to the backrow following a layoff with military duties.

On paper City have a stronger team than Tahs and deserve to be favourites leading into this match. I’ve been hearing rumours about some injuries that the Boiled Lollies have been carrying but we’ll have to wait and see who makes it out onto the pitch for them this weekend. Hamish Wrafter has been playing some handy footy this year and his combination with Eddie Lagaali could go a long way to deciding the outcome of this game. The recent resurgence of City has come about due to the strength of the running game that their centres bring to the table. On top of this, their ability to stop teams in their tracks through this area of the field allows their large forward pack to come into play.

City will have handed the usually accurate John Punch the kicking tee at training this week and given him orders to “practice, practice, practice” as they will not be keen on a repeat of last week’s kicking display. This game will be tight and has the potential to come down to the accuracy of their kickers and the decision making of their captains at key points in the game.

Keep an eye on: Zac Archer and Sam Hobbs at #9, Eddie Lagaali and Matt Binks at #13

Second Grade:
Ag College (1) v Wagga City (2) – CRP #1 @ 11:45am Ref: M Lotz
Waratahs (3) v CSU (4) – CRP #2 @11:30am Ref: T Allen

First Division:
First Grade:
Temora (7) v Tumut (10) – CRP #1 @ 1:15pm Ref: S Donelan
What to make of this game? Temora recently put 50 points on the Bulls but I wouldn’t want to write Tumut off as they have actually been reasonably successful since the competition split by notching up 3 wins from 5 rounds.

The Tuskers appear to be hitting their straps at the right end of the season and are probably motivated by the notion that they had every opportunity to play in the Premier Division this season but just couldn’t get over the line when it mattered. Playing injury free and with a consistent team on the paddock has allowed the Tuskers to work on their combination and is paying dividends for them at this time of the year.

Keep an eye on: Bill McCrone and Matt Stubbs at #10, Niko Degei and Brenton Hotham at #8

Leeton (8) v Cootamundra (9) – CRP #2 @ 1:00pm Ref: M Ryan
This is potentially one of the closest games of the day, each team has plenty to play for and will be out to make the most of their opportunities this weekend. The Phantoms have enjoyed a much improved season this year and a win against Coota would really set the town alight.

Cootamundra were treading a tight rope earlier this season as they attempted to make the Premier Division and a win against the Tuskers two weeks ago would have put them into 7th place on the ladder. These two factors will be pushing the Tri Colours in addition to the chance to have a crack at the 5th and 6th placed Premier Division teams next week if they win. The Tri Colours have a strong history in the First Division in recent seasons and will be keen to show that experience tomorrow.

Keep an eye on: Bart Challacombe and Phil Carter at #1, Joe Penne and Andrew Sheridan at #8

Second Grade:
Deniliquin (7) v Leeton (10) – CRP #1 @ 10:15am Ref: M McTaggart
Temora (8) v Young (9) – CRP #2 @ 10:00am Ref: A Gunn

Third Grade:
Ag College (3) v RARC (4) – Kapooka #2 @ 10:00am Ref: B Duncan
Hay (1) v Junee (2) – Kapooka #1 @ 11:15am Ref: H Hicks

Under 17’s:
Waratahs (1) v Leeton (2) – Kapooka #1 @ 10:00am Ref: T Reneker
City (3) v Young (4) – Kapooka #2 @ 11:15am Ref: A le Brocque

Women’s 7s:
Temora (4) v CSU (5) – CRP #2 @ 2:30pm Ref: J Martel
City (3) v Albury (6) – CRP #2 @ 3:10pm Ref: J Martel

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well if Albury are going to be vulnerable at all this year - this is the game. First final nerves, some big outs, the weight of expectation.

Despite the year they have had - I think this one could be very slippery

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU Finals Week One Results:

Congratulations to those teams who chalked up a win today, and commiserations to those teams who did not. Conolly Park certainly turned on an entertaining day of rugby on "Super Saturday" which was great to see.

All eyes are on the venues for next weekend which will be decided by the SIRU Board tomorrow and announced on Monday.

Premier Division:
First Grade:
Albury 29 bt CSU 24
Waratahs 39 bt City 24

Second Grade:
City 29 bt Ag College 14
Waratahs 15 bt CSU 14

First Division:
First Grade:
Temora 31 bt Tumut 10
Cootamundra 24 bt Leeton 12

Second Grade:
Deniliquin 20 bt Leeton 12
Temora 24 bt Young 14

Third Grade:
RARC 29 bt Ag College 12
Hay 15 bt Junee 0

Under 17's:
Leeton 17 bt Waratahs 14
City 44 bt Young 7

Women's 7 a side:
CSU 22 bt Temora 17
City 44 bt Albury 0

NEXT WEEKEND:
Premier Division:
First Grade:
CSU v Waratahs

Second Grade:
Ag College v Waratahs

Third Grade:
RARC v Junee

Under 17's:
City v Waratahs

First Division:
First Grade:
Coota v Ag College
Temora v Griffith

Second Grade:
Deniliquin v Griffith
Albury v Temora

Women's 7 a side:
Griffith v CSU
Leeton v City

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Would like to hear what people thought of the two Premier Division games.

I know the Steamers heirachy had been worried about both this first final and the Reddies - they thought the increased intensity might catch the players out a bit and coupled with the Reddies never-say-die fast scoring attitude could combine to create the perfect storm.

Going in to the game with 3 or 4 mainline first graders out was never going to help, but I suspect that was going to be the best opportunity for a team to beat the Steamers this year. The Reddies have probably played their grand final and the Waratahs now have some momentum.

But with James Kora, Justin Wheatley, Sam Mullaney, Liam Krautz, Louie Levett all coming into calculation for the Grand Final the Steamers run on 15 is going to be very formidable.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Would like to hear what people thought of the two Premier Division games.

Ok, here's my thoughts:

* CSU left points out there on Saturday, particularly on the right wing in the 2nd half. Pat Hunter and Paul Hood were tops, Wendt could have been used more.
* The Steamers probably got the fright they needed. It's a tough gig to play in an undefeated team and sometimes a loss (or a very close win) is just what the doctor ordered.
*Did CSU play their Grand Final or are they just starting to click with some combinations?
*Waratahs could be in the same boat as CSU, combinations are probably starting to gel. Hobbs and Tracey played well. Tahs miss Jake Eaglesham.
*City didn't seem to be there mentally in their game and maybe the fact that they carried some niggling injuries into the game hurt them. When they switched on in the second stanza they were in the contest but the game was too far gone.
*Wheatley will add starch and smarts to the Steamers if he plays next week. I think Kora is a lynchpin for the Steamers set-piece.
*CSU v Tahs this weekend is going to be a great game of rugby. Plenty to play for, plenty of history between the two clubs, two teams who are starting to hit their straps at the right time of year.

I would expect to see Wal Stuart and Steve Stone in Wagga on Saturday to check out the CSU v Tahs match.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Having just recovered from the first round of semi's here we go again!

Some observations :
1. Reddies pushing Albury every single step of the way has done the potential challenger no favours. I think that will make the Steamers re focus and just all the harder to get around next Saturday. Steamers looked (at 19-0 ) like they were thinking about the 31st of August and Reddies to their credit threw everything but the sink at them.
2. Tahs (much to my personal disquiet !) are just peaking. My feeling is that they will get round reddies but not by much. It may prove hard for both sides to repeat those performances of last week.
3. Reddies are never going to die wondering! They pushed Albury so close last week despite a fragile set piece and at times poor decision making. They win close games and that's a handy trait in a team.

Looking forward to another great week end of Rugby! Go the Wallabies!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Week Two Finals Preview:
Well, CSU certainly surprised the competition and probably gave Albury the scare they needed last week. namtrak was on the money when he said that the Steamers were nervous coming into that match, which poses the question – will they recover in time for the GF? Waratahs played well against City who struggled to assert themselves through the centres early on, Temora were made to tough it out against Tumut and Coota were on top of their game against Leeton with some key players missing.

There is plenty to play for again this weekend and no time to rest as the remaining teams prepare for a showdown at their respective venues. The Premier Division teams will be playing in Wagga at Conolly Park while the First Division teams will venture to Fisher Park (Cootamundra) where the weatherman is tipping a wet week clearing early Saturday morning and a maximum temperature of 12°C.

Premier Division:
First Grade:
CSU v Waratahs – CRP #1 @ 3:00pm Ref: S Donelan
There is a traditional rivalry between CSU and Waratahs with these teams facing off against each other regularly during past finals series – CSU have managed to break some Waratah hearts on a number of occasions in First Grade, Second Grade and Under 17’s.

Waratahs seem to have found some solid form late in the season which will be welcome news to Coach Palmer. 17 year old Steven Tracey was a key contributor to the Waratahs last weekend and his ability to make his first up tackles is something that a number of players in this competition should pay attention to. Waratahs simply outplayed Wagga City last week and if they can put together a similar performance against CSU, they will be hard to stop.

CSU bombed three tries last week against the Steamers which will surely be motivation for Coach Wakeling and his charges coming into this game. As is the case with Waratahs, if CSU can put together a performance like they did against the Steamers, they will be hard to get past.

From where I was watching the game, Reddies Pat Hunter was onto everything that he could possibly get onto at the breakdown and was a real nuisance to the Steamers. The Waratahs backrow will need to work hard against CSU, particularly to nullify Hunter’s influence. From what I’ve seen of these two teams this season, Waratahs arguably have the advantage in the forward pack, the centres are reasonably even and CSU have the spark out wide with Wendt and Fealy contributing well.

Euan Bonner’s matchup against Paul Hood will be interesting. Bonner hobbles around the park as though his hip flexors are made of aluminium but he actually has a degree of pace when it counts. His ability to kick tactically will be a key feature of this match as his opposite number Paul Hood possesses similar traits. It’s great to watch smart footballers in action and to see Hood controlling his players and the game the way he did against the Steamers was a highlight for me.

This game has the potential to be played at a fast pace, but it will be interesting to see what impact the recent wet weather, cool temperatures and finals nerves has on this game. If either (or both) of these teams can play an up tempo style of game, they have the best shot of bagging a win this week.

I’m not really one to read into past results and ultimately; in these type of games they don’t count. It’s time for the players to step up and show the world what they’re made of. Who can last 80mins? Which team has the systems in place to dictate terms? How will the reserves impact on this match?

Keep an eye on: Mitch Fealy and Steve Tracey at #15, Paul Hood and Euan Bonner at #10, Justin Wakeling and Sam Hobbs at #9, Brett Wendt and whoever is on his wing

Second Grade:
Ag College v Waratahs – CRP #1 @ 12:10pm Ref: C Jackson

First Division:
First Grade:
Ag College v Cootamundra – Fisher Park, Cootamundra @ 3:40pm Ref: M Del Gigante
What to say about the poor old Aggies? 2013 simply hasn’t been their year. Every club has its ups and downs and this is just one more of those cycles; injuries, players moving on and players retiring have all had their role to play this season for these guys. Their 2012 playing roster read like a who’s who of SIRU talent but this year has not been the same. Having said that, the players who are still grinding away at Aggies have given it all they’ve got. The clubs has been blessed with some good depth that has held them in good stead this season and their 2nd Grade team is also doing well this year so there are positives to focus on for the club.

The Tri Colours are somewhat First Division specialists at the moment, this has been their third consecutive year contesting the Romano’s Cup and they will need to work hard to get over the Aggies in this match. Coota have probably been frustrated by their season to date and may use this as motivation to prepare for what is a really big game for them as a club.

To win over Leeton without solid performers Alex and Graham Hardie is a big effort for the Tri Colours and is one positive point leading into this game. Cootamundra will be tough to get past at home, as with most clubs, the home town support will spur them on. Defensively, the Tri-Colours are pretty fearsome and I would tip that this will be a key feature of their game, they are likely to play a structured style of rugby that focuses on their forwards playing tight and then playing wider at key moments in the game.

Keep an eye on: Ben Leaper and Alex Hardie at #8, Isaac Roebuck and Graham Hardie at #15

Griffith v Temora – Fisher Park, Cootamundra @ 2:10pm Ref: P Dean
Griffith have been limping along for a few weeks now but will be refreshed after having the weekend off last week. Temora probably appreciate the extra week of footy which allowed them to cement some combinations and focus on the finer points of their game.

Tumut pushed the Tuskers last week and made them work hard for their points but Temora were able to kick some key penalties early on and I think they will play to a similar style this week – take points when they are on offer and score tries when they can. Zac Tuevu at #15 has been a highlight for the Tuskers in 2013 and his counter attacking play and broken play running are quite impressive, watch out for his kick returns if Griffith don’t chase well.

The Blacks will be keen to contest in this match and will be aided by the strong running of the likes of Michael Stalley and Co in the forwards and the crafty plays of Tom Russell in the backs. Consistency has eluded the Blacks in the latter half of the competition and their ability to put in a solid 80min performance will be crucial to the outcome of this game. Whilst Russell has not played a majority of games for the Blacks, his individual skill and elusiveness are impressive and the Tuskers need to keep an eye on him, particularly around the fringes.

Keep an eye on: Tom Russell and Bill McCrone at #10, Michael Stalley and Niko Degei at #8

Second Grade:
Albury v Temora – Fisher Park, Cootamundra @ 11:10am Ref: M Lotz
Griffith v Deniliquin – Fisher Park Cootamundra @ 12:40pm Ref: M Harris

Third Grade:
Junee v RARC – CRP #2 @ 12:30pm Ref: M Ryan

Under 17’s:
Waratahs v City – CRP #1 @ 1:40pm Ref: T Reneker

Women’s 7s:
Leeton v City – CRP #1 @ 11:30am Ref: T Allen
Griffith v CSU – Fisher Park, Cootamundra @ 10:30am Ref: J Martel

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Finals Week Two Results:
Premier Division:
First Grade:
Waratahs 30 bt CSU 29

Second Grade:
Waratahs 43 bt Ag College 17

First Division:
Ag College 28 bt Coota10
Temora 32 bt Griffith 3

Second Grade:
Albury 14 bt Temora 10
Deniliquin 27 bt Griffith 20

Third Grade:
Junee 54 bt RARC 17

Under 17's:
Waratahs 13 bt City 8

Women's
Leeton 20 bt City 12
Griffith 48 bt CSU 0

NEXT WEEK: SIRU 2013 Grand Finals, CRP Wagga
Premier Division:
First Grade:
Albury v Waratahs

Second Grade:
Wagga City v Waratahs

First Division:
First Grade:
Ag College v Temora

Second Grade:
Albury v Deniliquin

Third Grade:
Hay v Junee

Under 17's:
Leeton v Waratahs

Women's:
Leeton v Griffith

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I have to say that the Reddies v Tahs game on Saturday was an absolute cracker. Obviously I was disappointed my team wasn't there, but I have to hand it to the 2 teams for a first class game of running rugby at Connolly.

Can Waratahs take that sort of rugby into the GF? They are playing some good rugby and their two lynch pins , Munro and Hobbs, were outstanding. Reddies didn't die wondering and they certainly know how to run the thing despite having some serious wobbles up front at scrum time.
Cant wait for Saturday now! Go City 2's!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck this takes me back. I remember being drunk as a lord, in the rain at Beres Ellwood back in 1996, watching those dirty sheep fuckers get up in all three grades over the Redmen. Cold, wet, beer, smokes. Ladies!!!!

Ah uni days....

Status
Not open for further replies.