• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's a shame for Coota if that's true about Andrew Glover, he was a very handy player.
Luke Eldridge has been a central part of the Yabbies for a long time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a back seat for a while, he's certainly earned a rest.

A couple of SIRU coaching stories

http://www.youngwitness.com.au/stor...dge-named-coaching-director-for-2014/?cs=1666

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/1895964/rogo-takes-the-reins/?cs=671

Coota, Ag College & Albury still on the hunt for 1st XV coaches.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Interesting to read that Young only voted 8-6 to stay in the SIRU - sounds like there are a few restless natives (Yabbies) on their committee - Pretty sure if they have a repeat of their poor season next year it will be c u later SIRU. The rumour mill is pretty strong that Tim Davidson may coach Young next year and we should find out pretty soon.Maybe his ex club Sydney Uni can send a few of their 4th & 5th Grade players to Young next year on a "Country Sabbatical"- a few of them will have probably played for either the NSW Waratahs or Australian Schoolboys ??

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Always good to start a rugby yarn! Only 4 and a bit months to go and shes on again!
Reports of City's demise are greatly exaggerated I believe. Whilst Jason and Eddie Lagaali have left and we may loose one or two others ( I think that's called natural attrition) the figure of a dozen is somewhat fanciful. The vast bulk of last year squad has stayed and some positive action is happening on the coaching and recruitment side of things. So lets just wait and see shall we!

Heard all sorts of silly stories doing the rounds but until I see them running onto the ground with that particular jersey on, its a story and not a fact!

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
I heard the "about a dozen" number straight from the mouth of a current Wagga City player, albeit one that is leaving... The reason that I won't name the departing players from City or any club and their destinations is that this is a respectable forum, unlike the SIRU Website forum.
Lots of people know. Lots.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting to read that Young only voted 8-6 to stay in the SIRU - sounds like there are a few restless natives (Yabbies) on their committee - Pretty sure if they have a repeat of their poor season next year it will be c u later SIRU. The rumour mill is pretty strong that Tim Davidson may coach Young next year and we should find out pretty soon.Maybe his ex club Sydney Uni can send a few of their 4th & 5th Grade players to Young next year on a "Country Sabbatical"- a few of them will have probably played for either the NSW Waratahs or Australian Schoolboys ??
Always good to start a rugby yarn! Only 4 and a bit months to go and shes on again!
Reports of City's demise are greatly exaggerated I believe. Whilst Jason and Eddie Lagaali have left and we may loose one or two others ( I think that's called natural attrition) the figure of a dozen is somewhat fanciful. The vast bulk of last year squad has stayed and some positive action is happening on the coaching and recruitment side of things. So lets just wait and see shall we!

Heard all sorts of silly stories doing the rounds but until I see them running onto the ground with that particular jersey on, its a story and not a fact!
I heard the "about a dozen" number straight from the mouth of a current Wagga City player, albeit one that is leaving. The reason that I won't name the departing players from City or any club and their destinations is that this is a respectable forum, unlike the SIRU Website forum.
Lots of people know. Lots.

How good is it getting mail from different clubs on here! The more the merrier!

Although we do need more Brumbies supporters on here!

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
I came to the area with work in March 2011. My work gives me a rather large network, particularly from a few clubs.
I hooked up with my club because a few boys I went to school with play here.
So I read the papers & follow the competition closely???

I read with interest this forum for the 2013 season & thought even though Im a 3rd grader (at best), I have an excellent knowledge of the game & my circle is very wide & could contribute. Probably as I spend so much time watching & not playing!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I came to the area with work in March 2011. My work gives me a rather large network, particularly from a few clubs.
I hooked up with my club because a few boys I went to school with play here.
So I read the papers & follow the competition closely???

I read with interest this forum for the 2013 season & thought even though Im a 3rd grader (at best), I have an excellent knowledge of the game & my circle is very wide & could contribute. Probably as I spend so much time watching & not playing!

My mistake @Jack01, I thought you were new to the area. It's good to get your insights. Any word on a coach at Ag College?

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
I did mention that I was new to the area, I guess that I should have put 'relatively new'. No issues.
In my opinion (shared by a large number of people) there should have been a Collingwood AFL style succession plan put in place during 2013. Richard made it very clear that this was his final year, so grooming someone would have made the inconvenience of finding a coach non existent.
Ag College did put out some feelers & even officially advertised in the DA a couple of times. To my knowledge the applications are not exactly flooding in. An 'old boy' was asked, but work / family / wife commitments are blocking him. I'm sure that they are now looking internally. The club is going to be short on senior players & experience, so even internally could present problems.
Dave Armstrong would obviously be the first guy asked, but he has made it clear that he is stepping away for a little while.
James Whitely would also be a target, but Im not sure if he would be comfortable doing it.
Someone did mention Jack Burey to me recently. However I also heard he was looking to go back to the chalks. He certainly would have the resources & know how, but don't think he has gained the respect as yet to be a 1st XV coach.
Id be throwing everything I had towards Tim Corcoran. If he was to come back, that could possibly be the catalyst for a better season than how 2013 panned out. He would be the type of leader & guy that players will play well for. Dan Maloney could also be a possibility.

Steve80s

Bob McCowan (2)
Ok, so I'm a keen Albury follower and just joined the thread. The steamers are unsure what's happening, theres talk here and talk there of who's going to return but a few of the names are:

Nathan Bright - unsure.... there is talk of him going again.... he's like John Farnham... this will be his 5th comeback tour :)
Hannaford - Retired
Wheatley - Retired
Mick Alexander - Retired
Meakins and Old - gone to Canberra
Cooper Dunn - gone back to England
Levett - gone to Orange
Manion hopefully will strap on the boots again
Middleton not sure but again hope he will stick around
House - Retired
French (pozzobon) - Retired

It's not a pretty picture - Only two forwards from last year have committed Schistka and Ash Le-flever - both great players. However, the entire front row will be gone which is a massive gap. It's so hard to find props particularly down here in AFL land but you just never know what recruits the new year will bring in.

I think it's good news that Barratt, Corcoran and co are looking at coming back into the comp, they are class players. What ever happened to Xavier?

Steve80s

Bob McCowan (2)
@Jack01 - it's a tough one Ag coach. Dave Armstrong last I heard was going to Junee to take on a leadership role there.... is there any confirmation of this?
Whitely would be a good coach but he's a great player! Losing Whitley would be a big impact to Aggies.

Steve80s

Bob McCowan (2)
Also you mentioned Dan Maloney... is he likely to come back in 2014??? Coach or player? He was class and I think Aggies sorely missed him this year. Good solid 5/8 and I think that he would have made a good combination with Burey at #9.

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
@Jack01 - it's a tough one Ag coach. Dave Armstrong last I heard was going to Junee to take on a leadership role there.. is there any confirmation of this?
Whitely would be a good coach but he's a great player! Losing Whitley would be a big impact to Aggies.

Dave Armsrtong lives just outside Junee, so its only natural that Junee Rams RFC would be interested. However, it would be nothing more than Skellen dreaming. Look at it like this...Arguably the best forward in the competition, stating that he is retiring because of work reasons, taking up a "leadership role" with a 3rd grade team, when if he was interested, coach the club he has had success with??? What on Earth would be appealing about that?He dominated 1st Grade forwards, why would he 'bother' with 3rd graders? Please.

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
Also you mentioned Dan Maloney. is he likely to come back in 2014??? Coach or player? He was class and I think Aggies sorely missed him this year. Good solid 5/8 and I think that he would have made a good combination with Burey at #9.

I think Uff is happy to play 3rds & potter around his ranch out Junee way.

I am hearing that Burey could be a real dark horse for the coaching position. Personally wouldn't be my choice, but its not my decision & he might be the best of whats available. I bet the powers to be, would like him to confirm or deny a few of the rumors floating around though...

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ok, so I'm a keen Albury follower and just joined the thread. The steamers are unsure what's happening, theres talk here and talk there of who's going to return but a few of the names are:

Nathan Bright - unsure.. there is talk of him going again.. he's like John Farnham. this will be his 5th comeback tour :)
Hannaford - Retired
Wheatley - Retired
Mick Alexander - Retired
Meakins and Old - gone to Canberra
Cooper Dunn - gone back to England
Levett - gone to Orange
Manion hopefully will strap on the boots again
Middleton not sure but again hope he will stick around
House - Retired
French (pozzobon) - Retired

It's not a pretty picture - Only two forwards from last year have committed Schistka and Ash Le-flever - both great players. However, the entire front row will be gone which is a massive gap. It's so hard to find props particularly down here in AFL land but you just never know what recruits the new year will bring in.

I think it's good news that Barratt, Corcoran and co are looking at coming back into the comp, they are class players. What ever happened to Xavier?

Last time I read about Albury on the Forum earlier in the year they were talking themselves up as Shute Shield Candidates in the future- enjoy the Premiership win Steamers but it's time to roll the sleeves up next year this time without the assistance of yourfairly expensive overseas Imports. Levett is their biggest loss without a doubt, easily their best and most consistent 80 minute player over the past few years and because he didn't tow the line with the recently departed Coaching Director he didn't get a fair go in 2013.The word from down South on the Border is that Premiership success definitely arrived in 2013 but enjoyment of the game was put on the back burner

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
Last time I read about Albury on the Forum earlier in the year they were talking themselves up as Shute Shield Candidates in the future- enjoy the Premiership win Steamers but it's time to roll the sleeves up next year this time without the assistance of your fairly expensive overseas Imports. Levett is their biggest loss without a doubt, easily their best and most consistent 80 minute player over the past few years and because he didn't tow the line with the recently departed Coaching Director he didn't get a fair go in 2013.The word from down South on the Border is that Premiership success definitely arrived in 2013 but enjoyment of the game was put on the back burner

That is certainly a passionate comment. Sometimes the price you pay for the most elusive of prizes is a level of enjoyment???

Status
Not open for further replies.