• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't think the Phantoms would risk playing ineligible players in the G/Final
He is probably eligible under the By Laws which all Clubs have copies of

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Love this Time of Year and what a ripper of a Day coming up this Saturday
7 Grand Finals and I'm sticking my neck out on these Teams being the Premiers
Griffith (3rds), City (Women's Plate), Hay Cutters (W&B -Reserve Grade), Cootamundra (Rom's Reserve Grade), CSU (Rom's 1st Grade), Leeton (women's Cup) and Albury (W&B 1st Grade)

I can't see Waratahs getting within 20 points of the Steamers on Saturday

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Grand Final Previews:

Well, here we are at the pointy end of the season with all to play for and plenty to lose on Grand Final Day. The weatherman says partly cloudy with a maximum temp of 22oC which is perfect rugby weather (although may be a little warm during the middle of the day!).

Congratulations to all teams that have made it this far, you have earnt your places on the field on Grand Final day and this your opportunity to put all your hard work into effect. All the best on what is always a sensational day of rugby!

Premier Division:

First Grade:

Albury v Waratahs, Conolly Park #1 @ 3:45pm, Referee: P Dean

Check the GAGR front page for the Premier Division preview.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/siru-grand-final-2015-preview/

Second Grade:

Hay v Leeton, Conolly Park #1 @ 11:30am, Referee: M Ryan

This game should be a pretty handy match, both teams have proven to be pretty strong competitors this season and their last match was actually a draw. The Hay Cutters have a very strong forward pack who generate a lot of momentum for their team and will be hard to stop in this match.

I saw the Phantom’s seconds go round in Albury and would suggest that they have a combination of youth and experience which is important come finals time, there are some pacier options out wide for these guys providing their forwards can match it up front.

Keep an eye on: Manning Doughty (Hay) and Sam Allen (Leeton)

First Division:

First Grade:

CSU v Temora, Conolly Park #1 @ 1:05pm, Referee: S Donelan

The Tuskers have done very well to get themselves to this point of the competition, they have dug deep to get here which has created a buzz of enthusiasm around their club in recent weeks which seems to be paying dividends for the lately.

Reddies have been stringing together some solid performances in recent weeks and will need to be on their toes against a Tuskers outfit that are bristling with confidence at this late stage of the year. CSU have plenty of experience in their ranks though and will no doubt be confident in their ability this week.

Temora don’t tend to play a traditional style of rugby as they tend to look more towards strong ball runners combining with sniping backs looking for offloads, one thing for certain is that Temora take pride in their defensive efforts.

CSU don’t play a traditional style of rugby either, but they do tend to be a more technical team in terms of strategy and will look to determine weakness in a team that they can exploit. Reddies also like to catch teams napping and will change their style of play depending on what they think will get them the best result.

Campbell Maxwell could be a big omission for the tacklers from T-town after coming from the field with a hamstring strain last week. If Campbell makes it onto the pitch, there’s no doubt that his efforts in attack will assist the Tuskers.

CSU and Temora both play unconventional styles and I’m looking forward to seeing how these teams approach the game on Saturday and am keen to see them have a crack at an attacking brand of rugby, they’ve both got the ability to really turn it on when they want to, if they do so on the weekend, look out!

Keep an eye on: Dean Smart, Sterling Ross and Paul Hood (CSU) and Tex Ratuva, Hayden Philp and Mesu Vulilagilagi (Temora).

Second Grade:

Wagga City v Cootamundra, Conolly Park #2 @ 11:50am, Referee: L Gunn

The resurgence of the Cootamundra Tri-Colours in second grade has been quite a highlight of the back end of the season. They’ve gone from strength to strength in this grade since their First Grade side bowed out and are being well served by all players who are eligible for selection.

Wagga City have had a topsy-turvey year and are in a similar situation to Coota in that they have rotated a number of players through their First Grade program this season which may pay dividends for them in this one.

Fitness and the ability to play out the full duration of the match may be a significant factor in this game. If this match goes into extra time, I reckon Cootamundra will fancy their chances as they’ve been playing a lot of footy in recent weeks.

Keep an eye on: Tom Jennings (Wagga City) and Frank Coorey (Cootamundra)

Third Grade:

Junee v Griffith, Conolly Park #2 @ 10:30am, Referee: B Reynolds

Well, there’s no denying the talking point for this game has been the suspension of the McCaw-esque Tom Finucane from the Rams lineup and the big question for this match is – what schemes has Coach Skellern been working on to plug that hole?

The Griffith Blacks have the interesting situation of being able to call on fringe 1st Grade players into this match and I wonder if this will have an influence on the game? On the whole, the Blacks are generally a typical third grade side made up of a few battlers combined with some younger players out wide.

In recent years, the 3rd Grade Grand Final has often been the most tightly contested game of the day and has actually gone into extra time such has been the closeness of the matches. Let’s hope for another tight tussle this year!

Keep an eye on: Jermaine Tuua (Junee) and Aaron Lawrence (Griffith)

Women’s Sevens:

Cup Final: Leeton v CSU, Conolly Park #1 @ 3:00pm, Referee: M Dwyer

Two very handy teams here. The catch-pass skills that these teams possess is a real credit to the work that each team puts in off the field in terms of skill development. They also play to a structure that creates gaps in the defensive line.

The Dianas are arguably a more forward oriented team who like to run one-out whereas the Reddies tend to spread the ball wide in an attempt to stretch their opposition defence and create opportunities out wide.

Keep an eye on: Monique Higgins (Leeton) and Brittney Bedford (CSU)

Plate Final: Wagga City v Ag College, Conolly Park #1 @ 10:45am, Referee: J Martel

From what I’ve seen of these two teams this season, this will be a big game for both teams. They both enjoy throwing the ball around and when they play with structure, they are more than capable of maintaining possession and exploiting mismatches in defence.

Keep an eye on: Sarah Hogan (City) and Harriet Elleman (Ag College)

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Best of luck to all the clubs this weekend. I'm going to stick my neck out with my picks and as we all know GF day is a different beast and there are always 'upsets'.
Premier Div - Albury. As much as I'd like to see Waratahs win it from 5th place, I just cant. Albury are in a real special patch of form and I think Waratahs are just missing one or two real game breakers. That's the difference. Special players who can give the ball to and they will produce something out of the box. Best on Ground - Richie Manion
Plastic Cup - Temora. One of my smokey's. Nobody outside Temora thought this could happen, however there is obviously something brewing within this proud club. They will relish the underdog tag and we know their supporters will travel in droves.
2nd Grade - Hay. After a tough opening 15mins, will win comfortably I feel.
2nd Grade (Plastic Cup) - Coota - Don't know much about these two teams specifically, but I've always had a admiration for the small town rugby club spirit.
3rds - Griffith. Could be the tightest battle of the day. I think Griffith willl have too many options in attack and just get over the line.
Womens 7's - Just flipped a coin a moment ago.
Cup - Leeton
Plate - Ag College

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Grand Final Results:

Premier Division:
First Grade:
Albury 30 bt Waratahs 24.
MOM - James Olds (Albury)

Second Grade:
Leeton 22 bt Hay 20
MOM - Aaron Ireson-Wolly (Leeton)

First Division:
First Grade:
CSU 27 bt Temora 24
MOM - Dean Smart (CSU)

Second Grade:
Cootamundra 19 bt Wagga City 10
MOM - Josh Hudson (cootamundra)

Third Grade:
Griffith 18 bt Junee 17
MOM - Ben Sloane (Griffith)

Women's:
Cup Final:
Leeton 32 bt CSU 5
MOM - Lou Strachan (Leeton)

Plate Final:
Ag College 27 bt Wagga City 17
MOM - Bridget Beaton (Ag College)

Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys, I'm off to the pub to undertake my rigorous recovery program.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I enjoyed the Grand Finals in Wagga on saturdsay
there were lots of close matches and the Ground looked sensational
Felt a bit sorry for the hay Cutters but Leeton defended unreal in the final 5 minutes - Why didn't Hay take a shot at Penalty goal in the dying minutes on 2 occasions ??
Temora neraly stole the Romano's Cup and Waratahs played their best match of the season against a disappointing and dis jointed Albury team

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Notable Award Winners:

PREMIER DIVISION:
Bill Castle Medal (Best & Fairest):
Winner: Tino Manualevo (Tumut)
Runner Up: Stuart Dyer (Leeton)

Leading Try Scorer: James Olds (Albury)
Leading Point Scorer: James Olds (Albury)

FIRST DIVISION:
Bill Castle Medal (Best & Fairest):
Winner: Paul Hood (CSU)
Runner Up: Rory Sheard (Young)

Leading Try Scorer: Mitch Fealy (CSU)
Leading Point Scorer: Paul Hood (CSU)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Time for the tearful goodbye to the 2015 season, from what I saw of the competition this year, the zone is in a good space and while I think there is always room for improvement, there were many positives to come out of the #SIRU2015 season:

* Brumbies v Highlanders Super Rugby Pre-season
* Brumbies Provincial Tournament in Wagga
* Brumbies Provincial v NSW Country - let's bag a win next year boys!
* Sensational Grand Final day, hopefully Conolly #4 will be ready for next year's GF!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the forum this year, your input has seen the popularity of this thread continue to grow, we cracked 70k views this season which is 10k more than last year which is great for the promotion of rugby in Southern Inland.

A special thanks to @Gagger (Matt) for giving us a wrap on the GAGR Front Page (again), I was approached by a number of people on Grand Final day who were pretty stoked to see this competition represented on a website such as GAGR and I know there is plenty of love for Southern Inland Rugby both here and overseas. You're doing an awesome job here Matt and Co, keep up the good work!

From the people I spoke to on Grand Final day, there are already clubs working on their 2016 campaigns and I would expect to see another competitive competition in 2016.

Spread the gospel to the masses, GAGR is where you get your mail on all aspects of rugby in Australia, see you all over at the #SIRU2016 thread.

Cheers,
Sam

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/southern-inland-rugby-2016.16052/

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks for the words this year Sam, always provides some good grist for the mill. I hear the spray the touchies were copping on Saturday from the Steamers coaching panel was a once off and only in the heat of the moment. :)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks for the words this year Sam, always provides some good grist for the mill. I hear the spray the touchies were copping on Saturday from the Steamers coaching panel was a once off and only in the heat of the moment. :)
No problems mate, I don't think I've seen the coaching staff that stressed all year! Congrats on the win, must be time to start plotting for next season - more shame and spite to inspire?

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
so what sort of Comp are we looking at for SIRU next year.
Plenty of rumours going around on saturday that things will change in 2016.
the word is the Coota push to re-start the old South / West Comp has lost plenty of momentum which means the Tri Colours have some big decisions to make about next year.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Status
Not open for further replies.