• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Gee maulalltheway - your Post was on March 29 in the morning and you expected the format, game lengths & first match times - when nominations closed at COB March 29 ?
Sounds a bit Impatient to me

Thanks for the feedback mate. I'll ensure I run my posts by you before posting next time. Make sure I'm not impatient

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No. 1 Oval
10:00M 2 - 5Wagga CityLeeton
10:50M 2 - 6DeniliquinGriffith 1
11:35M 1 - 1AlburyHay
12:20M 2 - 1LeetonDeniliquin
1:10M 1 - 5Ag CollegeHay
1:55W 1 - 1DianasDeniliquin
2:20M 2 - 2Griffith 1Leeton
3:05M 1 - 2Ag CollegeAlbury

No. 3 Oval
10:00W 1 - 2GriffithDianas
10:25W 2 - 1Wagga CityAg College
10:50M 1 - 3Griffith 2Ag College
11:35W1 -3DeniliquinGriffith
12:00W2 - 2WaratahsWagga City
12:25M 2 - 3Wagga CityGriffith 1
1:10M 1 - 6Griffith 2Albury
1:55W 2 - 3Ag CollegeWaratahs
2:20M 2 - 4DeniliquinWagga City
3:05M 1 - 4HayGriffith 2

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

Pull your heads in you geese.

Re - Leeton:
Not sure that any team was really stressed by results today. It was a good day played in the right spirit with teams having the chance to try some final combinations before the season proper next week.

I saw some good things from Leeton, Griffith, Albury and Ag College today and some areas that each team could arguably focus on. It will be interesting to see how the teams like Waratahs, Tumut, City and CSU fair in that mix - is there any foxing going on with these teams not showing up at Leeton?

Some good skills shown also by the womens teams having a crack today.

Bring on Round One!

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Good season preview in the DA on Tuesday, anyone know why there is no rugby coverage in the online addition???

Anyway Courtney Rees has made her predictions with Tah's top of the pile followed by Tumut, Leeton, Albury, and Griffith to make the finals and City along with the Uni teams missing out.

What does everyone think?

Personally I think she is pretty close to the money, not sure on Tumut though and Aggies looked quite better than expected in Leeton on the weekend - If Albury brought their full squad on the weekend they had better get buying fast if they want to beat the Bulls this weekend...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round One Preview:
Whether you’re dusting off your boots or putting a few coldies in the esky it’s time to start limbering up for another season of @GAGR #SIRU2016 previews – THE place to get all the latest on Southern Inland Rugby

Albury (1) v Tumut (1)
The defending premiers will be keen to start the season off on the right foot this weekend particularly considering this weekend is their celebration of “40 years of Steamers”.

A new look team had a trot around at Leeton last weekend with a number of new faces out there for the Steamers along with a few familiar faces too. While they didn’t set the world on fire, it is clear that the Steamers have a strong base to build on this season.

While I continue to hear good things out of Tumut, I am yet to see them go round this season. Dan Dowson was looking trim early this year and players like TJ Sala & Christino Maunalevo will really help the cause for the Bulls. Traditionally slow starters, maybe a solid pre-season is what the Bulls have needed?

This game could be a match up for the ages for two habitual retirees – Jock Mason and James Kora in a battle for the right to claim the title of SIRU’s version of John Farnham!

Griffith (1) v CSU (1)
I don’t have much mail on either of these teams but have seen them both have a run around in recent weeks.

CSU will no doubt be hurting with the retirement of Paul Hood and I think this is a very large void for them to fill. One of the key features that I have seen in the Reddies in recent years has been their commitment to each other and I hope that this is something that shines through this year.

Griffith seem to have picked up a couple of handy players over the off-season, one hulking prop who can bookend the set piece but there are also plenty of old heads as well. Will a return to the Exies be a bonus for the Blacks?

City (1) v Waratahs (1)
All the talk out of the Wagga City camp has been about Nathan Honeyman and his fitness regime over the off-season. Hopefully this is something that sets a good platform for the City Men this year and allows them to build from there. City’s most notable transfer has seen Rory Sheard relocate to Wagga from the Young Yabbies and he’s a good addition to any club.

Wagga’s glamour club have a roster akin to a Super Rugby team this year with a red hot backline to unveil in round one. Hobbs to Bonner, Corcoran to Le Lievre, Shortis (J) and Shortis (M) combining with Tracey in the back three is a strong lineup – I’ve even heard rumours of Pat Barrett coming back through the second row – although I’m not sure how much credence to give that one! Add to this the defection of a million forwards from Ag College to the Tahs and they will be a tough nut to crack.

This match is always a blockbuster and I’m sure this year will be no different as the City Men will be keen to scalp their arch rivals in this one.

Ag College (1) v Leeton (1) – Match of the Round.
I watched these teams last weekend finish off a great day of rugby at Leeton and there was plenty of passion on the pitch in that hit out which has influenced me in tipping a Match of the Round.

Leeton were the team that could have been last year and will no doubt look back on last year with fond memories but want to sink their teeth into the 2016 season. Seru Rogo has been working the Phantoms hard over the off-season ably supported by Marika Vunibaka and the results were clear to see on the weekend – the Phantoms looked to be fit and firing.

Aggies have lost a fair number of key players in some well publicised defections, but have also managed to sign up a few handy kids over the off-season. A prop, a handy openside and a strong running centre are all good gets for the Aggies. Add that to some tall timber in their forwards and you’ve got the makings of a good uni rugby team.

Leeton appeared to be frustrated by the Ag College kids last week, maybe it was the heat of the day, maybe it was the last game of the day, I’m not sure what it was but it looked to me like the Phantoms were committed to the game and were genuinely keen to win that trial game which is something that I’m sure pleased their coaching staff.

With the feeling that was running around last week, I reckon these two teams have got a point to prove this season and am looking forward to how this game shapes up.

@Si_Rugby @SteamersRugby @blacksruc @CsuReddies @WACRugby

I'm glad the footy season is back and there's only 20 weeks til Grand Final day!!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good preview - its Shaping up as a pretty good Competition this year. Without Temora, Young and particularly Coota the Competition actully looks much neater and definitely stronger.
The word is All Clubs have entered 3 Grades this year which Temora, Young & Coota wouldn't get close to.
I reckon Aggies will struggle most of the season - It will basically be Colts playing Seniors and their depth will get tested during the year.
City have had the big build up in the pre Season but will come up against what is apparently a strong waratahs combination.
Looking forward to seeing the results in the DA and on the SIRU Website

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good preview - its Shaping up as a pretty good Competition this year. Without Temora, Young and particularly Coota the Competition actully looks much neater and definitely stronger.
Does less teams make the competition stronger? I don't know about that. Definitely an easier competition to manage and the home and away format works well for all clubs.

The word is All Clubs have entered 3 Grades this year which Temora, Young & Coota wouldn't get close to.
If you listen to the mail from Coota and Temora, they both have strong numbers this year, although not sure if that would have been the case if they had stayed with SIRU? I've not heard anything about Young.

I think there are 11 teams nominated in the 3rd grade competition this year. I haven't seen the draw yet though and it's not up on the website either.

Looking forward to seeing the results in the DA and on the SIRU Website
And GAGR also!?! :)

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Whether its a stronger or weaker Comp there is less travel for all clubs with the departure of Young, Coota & Temora which is a big plus and also we don't have to have a Split Competition - I see the 2016 Competition as a win , win for all the Clubs and the players

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Whether its a stronger or weaker Comp there is less travel for all clubs with the departure of Young, Coota & Temora which is a big plus and also we don't have to have a Split Competition - I see the 2016 Competition as a win , win for all the Clubs and the players

Agree with those comments

Just read the DA this morning and Manion is reportedley not playing for the Steamers this year - Waratahs must be even shorter favourites to win the Comp now

The Previews in yesterday's & Today's DA are excellent - much better coverage than previous years - bring on Round 1

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round One Results:
FIRST GRADE:
Griffith 57 bt CSU 8
Tumut 30 bt Albury 25
Aggies 22 d Leeton 22
Waratahs 41 bt City 21

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The 1st Round results already make it an interesting Competition this year
Well done to the Tumut Bulls but it only highlights the fact of no Manion means no Albury.
Aggies got pipped on the post by Leeton for A Draw which is a good effort by the Students
City showed some fight in their second half aginst Waratahs - was it Waratahs taking their foot off the pedal or City decided to play some Footy in the 2nd Half ?
Nine tries to the Blacks at Griffith and from all accounts CSU came off the ground very bruised and battered.
Match of the Round next Saturday at Conolly -Waratahs v Griffith

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
A few belated predictions for 2016.....
Premiers - Waratahs
GF - Waratahs V Albury
Close but no cigar - Tumut to suffer the heartbreak of a 1 point loss to the Steamers in the prelim.
DeJa Vu - Leeton. Pipped in the prelim...again
Big Improvers - City. Finally, after many, many years and pumped up DA articles later, the white knuckle lads finally make some noise.
Redhead Match Box - (starts strong but fades out) Griffith. The Blacks will belt and bruise, until that fateful first loss, then combined with the mungoe cash grab, their roster will deplete and the ladder slide will begin.
Turn the other cheek - Aggies will spurn the negativity of so called 'star' player loss and just miss 5th spot.
Wooden Spoon - CSU. Wont win a game all season. You heard it here first.

Ladder after the final round...
Waratahs
Albury
Tumut
Leeton
City
Aggies
Griffith
CSU

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
with your predictions Independent how many teams have you got playing in this Year's Prelim. final ?
Lots of people keep talking up City still - can we wait until they have played at least 4 Rounds to see if they are BACK- they have Leeton, Aggies and Tumut in their next 3 matches.
I agree also with Whistle Happy that if Manion doesn't play for Albury they will struggle
I can't see them (steamers) making the G/F without Manion back playing

willym

Bob McCowan (2)
Bit of a funny story re Richard Manion- I believe that someone was stirring the pot when he spoke to the DA reporter. Apparently its all giggles as Rich IS Definitely playing this year but prob not in the first 3 or 4 rounds....

One reporter was not happy and extremely embarrassed....

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
that's disappointing that Albury have to revert to cloak & dagger stories etc about one of their players
If I was the DA i wouldn't bother speaking to reps from their club if they are going to be like that -the Steamers get enough publicity in the Border Mail - so let t the Border Mail report the silly stories

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
An ill conceived joke, with a couple of unintended victims. Apologies have been made. On the up side, the game between Tumut and Albury was very physical - with Tumut in control of the scoreboard for most of the game. Both teams should do well this year I imagine. Tumuts physicality is going to bode well for them.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Reminiscent of one heartbroken Ag College player by the name of Trevor Fosdyke who managed to get a full page article in the DA many years ago with his story of unrequited love.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If I was the DA i wouldn't bother speaking to reps from their club if they are going to be like that -the Steamers get enough publicity in the Border Mail

I wonder if there was any fact checking that went on between the two organisations or did one think they had the scoop on the other?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Congratulations to the following girls selected to represent the ACT Women's 15 a side team at the National Championships in Sydney in June, great effort and well done to you all!

Brittney Bedford (CSU), Alex Brentnall (CSU), Bulou Baravilala (Leeton), Steph Koro (Griffith) and Bailey Porter (Wagga City).

Ex-SIRU Reps Sammy Maxwell (Royals via City) and Remi Wilton (Royals via Leeton) are also in that mix.

Well done girls, I look forward to seeing you go round in Wagga on the 12th June!

http://community.brumbies.com.au/act-womens-15s/

Status
Not open for further replies.