• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Round 2 Tips Griffith, Tumut, Albury & Leeton

Everyone is on the Waratahs Band Wagon but they face a pretty good Blacks team this Saturday

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Two Preview:
An interesting start to the season last weekend with the 2015 Premiers being knocked off by a handy Bulls outfit, a tough match for Waratahs and City, a win for the Blacks all finished off by a bloody draw at the uni!
What will this week bring?

CSU (7) v Albury (5)
The students did it tough last week in Griffith and will have to work hard against a Steamers side who are arguably finding their feet in the 2016 season with a number of new faces in their ranks. My mail tells me there were a number of injuries for the Reddies last week, I wonder if this may bring Paul Hood out of the woodwork?

Waratahs (2) v Griffith (1) – Match of the Round
It’s tough to go past this game as the Match of the Round this week, there is no love lost between the Blacks and the Tahs and these two should put in a good showing in this match. From what I’ve heard of Griffith, they have picked up some handy players in the off-season and are playing their traditionally tough game plan.

Waratahs are called the glamour club for a reason and their 2016 roster reads like a Super Rugby team in the bush this year. Most pundits were tipping a whitewash of Wagga City last week however I hear that the match was a lot closer than last week’s scoreline would suggest.

A strong playing roster for Tahs has been bolstered by the inclusion of ASRU Centre Sean Kearns alongside Shute Shield first grader Angus “Goory Jnr” Le Lievre who are both handy additions to the club. I know it’s early days in the season and fitness will come but some folks are telling me that the Tahs are a bit soft around the middle at this stage of the season, although I’m sure this is something that Coaches Mitchell and Skellern plan on running into the group.

Griffith will approach this game with a physical presence in mind and will need to be on the front foot against a strong Waratahs team. The Waraths backline is their biggest strength at this stage of the season but I reckon they’ll have their work cut out for themselves here against a relatively unknown Blacks team. Griffith made a strong account of themselves when I watched them go round at Leeton recently where they showed that they are happy to mix it with all comers, particularly in defence.
I’m looking forward to a solid game of rugby here in this one.

Leeton (=4) v City (6)
The Phantoms have plenty to play for this week and will play with plenty of passion. A so-so game last week after a slow start where the Phantoms showed that they can score points with their firepower out wide, but really lacked that killer punch when it counted. It’s early days though and Seru Rogo will be working on the team for this match.

Wagga City made a good account for themselves last week against the competition’s star studded team and should be holding their heads high this week. This match will be a tough game and a good test to see how the “White Knuckle Men” travel.

Tumut (3) v Ag College (=4)
The Bulls issued a warning to the competition last week with a tough win on the border. While the score line was close, my scouts tell me that the Bulls really had a majority of possession and controlled the game well. The pre-season work for the Bulls is obviously paying off which is a positive sign at this early stage of the season.

Aggies showed some skills against Leeton last week and really signaled their intent to play on the fringes which resulted in some early points. As the game wore on though and the Phantoms fought back, they probably needed to remain focused on what worked for them early. Fitness isn’t an issue for these guys though and they’ll make a good account of themselves in another tough match here.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I reckon Waratahs v Griffith Blacks is a 50/50 bet

Waratahs may be regretting not playing any Trials on April 2 because they were sucking them in during the final stages last week against City.
Waratahs 2nds also led 15-0 at half time last Saturday as well and ended up losing 15-25 and they folded very quickly after the break
Some good matches coming up at Conolly this Saturday

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU - Round 2 - Waratahs 71 d Griffith 24, Tumut 39 d Aggies 3, Leeton 34 d City 17, CSU 27 drew with Albury 27

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
looks like I was way off the mark with Waratahs & Griffith score
I wonder if the Blacks brought over all their players
So far so good with the Comp but the loser between City & Ag College this Saturday could be looking at a long season.

Griifith & Leeton play on Fri Night according to the SIRU Website

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
looks like I was way off the mark with Waratahs & Griffith score
I wonder if the Blacks brought over all their players
So far so good with the Comp but the loser between City & Ag College this Saturday could be looking at a long season.

Griifith & Leeton play on Fri Night according to the SIRU Website

A little off the mark - I don't think anyone would have picked that scoreline. Same old story with the Blacks, terrible on the road when casual players won't travel. They should be strong on a Friday night at home with no league conflict this weekend.

Not Sure about the long season ahead for Aggies & City, they won't be top but they won't be the bottom two either. Both their games have been against the top 3 teams.

Griffith - Leeton is Friday night, the Blacks have moved back to the Exies Oval after a few years and are joint tenants with Waratahs (Group 20 League) and Swans (RFL) so having to be flexible.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Understand your comments (Bandar) but I reckon City would still be pretty disappointed with their start to the season- Yes they have played 2 strong outfits (Waratahs & Leeton) but I reckon the coaching staff and supporters would have wanted a bit more- maybe this Saturday's match against Aggies will be their trigger match for the season.
The City v Ag College & Griffith v Leeton are tough ones to pick whilst I reckon Waratahs & Tumut will remain undefeated after Saturdays Round

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Three Preview:
Waratahs, what to say? A pretty impressive effort against the Blacks last week, their backs were on fire that’s for sure. Tumut’s defence held solid against Ag College and the Phantoms toughed it out against Wagga City. Reddies and Albury played out another draw; I wonder if that’s an omen for the competition? Two draws in two weeks…

I’m going against the grain this round and tipping the MIA showdown as Match of the Round. From what I’ve seen of Leeton and Griffith, this will be the game that will highlight strengths and weaknesses for these two teams and give a clearer indication of what the ladder will look like later in the season.

Albury (5) v Waratahs (1)
The Grand Final rematch from 2015 and always a well contested game. While we have two teams who are at different stages of their development in the 2016 season, I’m keen to see what this game brings to the table.

Will Richard Manion’s Mrs let him have a run this weekend? He could well have an impact on the team’s direction around the park and I would suggest that the likes of Manion, Olds and Le Cornu will provide more resistance than Waratahs experienced last weekend.

Waratahs put on a comprehensive display last weekend and combined with some individual brilliance from Angus Le Lievre, they were red hot. Sometimes though, those games don’t always help a team and when they come up against a tough opposition, they struggle. I’m keen to see how the teams approach this game in terms of attitude for the full 80mins.

Griffith (4) v Leeton (3) – Match of the Round
Mid-table is where these guys find themselves at this stage of the season and is probably fair in these early rounds but I’m sure their coaching staff want to see more from their teams as the season progresses.

The Blacks simply had no answers for the pace of the game that Waratahs brought to the table last week and were constantly back-pedalling in defence, hopefully they can learn from that and make some changes for this match.

Whilst Leeton have had a mediocre start to the year in terms of results they have got plenty of positives to work on with their structures that will hold them in good stead here. They’ve shown that they can attack when they put their minds to it and need to continue in that vein if they are going to make an impression at the top of the ladder.

Griffith don’t have any real standouts in their team other than the obvious in Chris Latu who worked tirelessly for them last week. If the Blacks can support Chris in his running lines and give him the ball in some of those 2 v 1 situations close to the try line, he will be hard to stop.

There will be plenty of feeling in this match and no backward steps in defence, these two teams will give it to one another for the full 80mins. I reckon the Blacks will have a point to prove based on last week’s result and the Phantoms will meet that challenge head on.

Wagga City (8) v Ag College (6)
A game for both teams to really show the competition what they’re made of. Neither of these teams have been disgraced in recent weeks but neither have set the world on fire either, in this respect I see this game as an opportunity for both of them.

Fitness has been talked up by City this year and they’ll need to have some against their younger opposition at Ag College as the College Kids keep coming for 80mins. The match up of Rory Sheard against Mike Van Diggelen (Dirk’s cousin) will be a highlight for this match, as will Jayden Stanton vs Hamish Pennington.

CSU (7) v Tumut (2)
Reddies and Tumut have a bit of history in recent years and have played out some tough matches, how will this weekend turn out?

Reddies need the likes of Mitch Fealy, Brent Merritt and Dean Smart to lead from the front this weekend. I’ve heard some positive stories out of Reddies in their game against Albury last week but they’ll need to step up another notch here.

Tumut have shown in recent weeks that they are very keen to stamp their mark on the competition this season and I’m sure they will approach this game with that mentality in mind. The firepower they have through Dan Dowson, TJ Sala and Tino Manualevo is pretty impressive and will take some stopping this weekend.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good to see two Brumbies Provincial Players having a run for Queanbeyan in the JID this weekend. Congrats to Ben Leaper (SIRU) and Dave Akkersdyk (Monaro), give em hell boys.

Also Ash Le Fevre and Harry Burey at Royals. And Harry Tyson in Uni Colts.

Is that Maika Ravouvou at Tuggeranong fullback, must be a relation at least surely.

Ed Garraway at Gungahlin First Div 2nd Grade, James Strange at Cooma, obviously the Young Yabbies and Chris Dutton on the tipping panel, there is quite a Riverina flavour in the ACT/Monaro Competition.

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-04.pdf?645be1

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Good to see two Brumbies Provincial Players having a run for Queanbeyan in the JID this weekend. Congrats to Ben Leaper (SIRU) and Dave Akkersdyk (Monaro), give em hell boys.

Also Ash Le Fevre and Harry Burey at Royals. And Harry Tyson in Uni Colts.

Is that Maika Ravouvou at Tuggeranong fullback, must be a relation at least surely.

Ed Garraway at Gungahlin First Div 2nd Grade, James Strange at Cooma, obviously the Young Yabbies and Chris Dutton on the tipping panel, there is quite a Riverina flavour in the ACT/Monaro Competition.

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-04.pdf?645be1

It is the same Maika - word is Angus Allen smoked him on the outside to score a try last weekend...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Womens - Leeton 40 d Griffith 10, 2nds Griffith 71 d Leeton 0, 1st Grade Leeton 22 d Griffith 20 - ( Penalty goal on the bell to Leeton to win)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Three Scores
Tumut 42 d CSU 19, Aggies 32 d City 25, Waratahs 80 d Albury 20, Leeton 22 d Griffith 20

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
It is interesting position that Wagga City now find themselves in 0-3 and it may well be 0-4 with a tough trip to Tumut next weekend. For all their recruiting and new coaching staff they still lack depth in the forwards.
Credit to the spirited Ag College side who played the second half with 14 men and look to be a genuine top 5 contender even with a few of their best players out yesterday.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
City are in a position they have been in for several years but Albury appears to be a Club in crisis.
I was in a conversation with somebody within the Albury club on the weekend & things aren't too sweet either on or off the field.
A couple of people are being put under pressure and it will be interesting to see who plays at Leeton this saturday in the top grade.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
City are in a position they have been in for several years but Albury appears to be a Club in crisis.
I was in a conversation with somebody within the Albury club on the weekend & things aren't too sweet either on or off the field.
A couple of people are being put under pressure and it will be interesting to see who plays at Leeton this saturday in the top grade.

After so much success in recent years combined with an exodus of players, there is bound to be a vacuum there, filling that vacuum is the challenge.

There's (generally) a fallout from any Grand Final success, particularly after a strong season.

Waratahs are in the boat that Albury were in recently where they had a handy team and worked hard to get to the 2015 GF against all odds but lost, they are now being spurned on by that loss, something that I'm confident the Steamers can identify with.

The key question for me is - what role does the person from Albury you were speaking with play within the club? Bandwagon member or rusted on supporter?

Status
Not open for further replies.