• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The Match up on Saturday week between Waratahs & Tumut in Wagga looks as though it will be between 2 undefeated Teams
The Bulls won't mind the under dog status either
Both teams should play each other in the Grand Final later on this year
Albury's problem is they never had any depth in recent years and are now paying the price

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Pretty interesting competition thus far. Apart from Waratahs and Tumut at the top it seems to be a fairly close competition.

Claiming points at home will be the key to sides making the finals this season i feel.

Can anyone confirm that James Olds has left or is very close to leaving the Border country and heading north of the tweed? Careful to check and double fact check your sources when dealing in rumour...

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can anyone confirm that James Olds has left or is very close to leaving the Border country and heading north of the tweed? Careful to check and double fact check your sources when dealing in rumour.

Learnt our lesson...

Yes he is off to Qld. Has been on the cards for a while. He will leave a big hole, not just in Albury but also the SIRU squad as well.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Four Preview:

Another strong showing from Waratahs last week against the defending Premiers and probably not a scoreline that many would have tipped. With Leeton just pegging Griffith on the bell, I reckon the Ag v Griffith match will be a doozy particularly with Aggies coming off a win against City. Although the scoreline played into Tumut’s favour, there were positives in the match for CSU last week also.

Leeton (3) v Albury (6)

Leeton are still looking to hit their straps this season and after getting out of jail last week on the bell, I wonder what they are going to bring to the table this week. Will this be the start of some more polished performances for the Phantoms?

The Steamers are smarting from last week’s drubbing from the Tahs but will take stock from their effort during the game. Hopefully they can secure some more possession for their backs to use this week. Sources on the border have confirmed that James Olds has a ticket to QLD booked which could seriously derail their backline but I’m also hearing good things from the likes of Devlin, Allen and Ryan as young up and comers.

Ag College (5) v Griffith (4) – Match of the Round

This match should be a strong test for both these teams as they progress through the season; neither have set the world on fire so far and will want to put in a good showing this week.

Ag College are without Riley Brennan for two weeks (lucky this wasn’t more IMO) which will cause a backline reshuffle and will also be missing Dirk Diggler’s cousin as well at break away. Tom Macleay has been leading the team well lately and is now one of the older heads in the team – his efforts will set the tone for the team tomorrow.

Griffith have some things to work on but are trending upwards in most areas of the game despite a loss to Leeton last week. Their forwards are working well and providing more structure to their game will help the team settle and allow them to attack from a solid base. Vaea Mateo at halfback has been directing the Griffith pack well in recent weeks also.

Hamish Pennington is maturing as a footballer at Ag College which has seen him fine-tune his kicking game somewhat this season and is having a positive impact for his team. He will need to assess the game well tomorrow to allow the younger and smaller Ag College team to take full advantage of their strengths.

Only points differential separates these teams on the ladder and I think this game will be important for them both later in the season which suggests to me that they need to take maximum points from this game. This will be a pretty even contest, both teams are sitting mid-table for a reason; hopefully they can put a strong case for advancement forward tomorrow.

Tumut (2) v City (8)

A tough first few rounds won’t get any easier for City this week as they head to the hills to take on the in form Tumut Bulls. There’s no doubt that they need to start firing although I can sympathise with a tough draw first up.

The Bulls were made to work for their win against CSU last week and made some good headway through the middle of the field through the likes of Menzies Seumanutafa who was a damaging runner and strong defender.

Dan Dowson will be keen to work on some of the finer points of the Bulls game this week, they will probably find the City scrum will be more competitive than CSU were last week which could slow down some of their starter plays.

Waratahs (1) v CSU (7)

Waratahs are proving hard to stop this year, particularly through the centre of the field. From what I have seen of them, the penetration gained by Le Leivre is the starting point, followed by a strong clean out then speed of service from Hobbs to Bonner is very quick and wide which allows them options to attack against a back-pedaling and disorganised defensive line.

Reddies had their chances against Tumut last week but probably could have made some better use of their speed out wide. Dean Smart played well in the forwards as did Sam Sutton and Justin Wakeling had a handy game at halfback. The match up of Angus Le Lievre and Brent Merritt in the centres will be a key part of this game. If Merrit can stop Le Lievre, it will be interesting to see what effect this has on Waratahs ability to break/bend the defensive line.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
The Match up on Saturday week between Waratahs & Tumut in Wagga looks as though it will be between 2 undefeated Teams
The Bulls won't mind the under dog status either
Both teams should play each other in the Grand Final later on this year
Albury's problem is they never had any depth in recent years and are now paying the price

Probably the week after between Leeton & Waratahs too...

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Leeton (3) v Albury (6) - Im going for Leeton on this one. Albury seem a bit flat and combine that with a long road trip to the MIA, Leeton to win 15+.
Ag College (5) v Griffith (4) – Match of the Round - Ag College to sneak home against the Blacks. Home ground advantage and the students enthusiasm and fitness to get them the chocolates. Ag College to win by 7.
Tumut (2) v City (8) - Tumut to be too strong across the park and to win comfortably. I really like Tumut this year, seem to have a really good balance across the park. City seem to be yet again all bark and no bite. Tumut to win by 30+.
Waratahs (1) v CSU (7) - When was the last time the 'Mercy Rule' was applied in SIRU?? Dare I ask if there is room for triple digits on the scoreboard at CSU? This will get very ugly, very quickly for CSU. Waratahs to win by 70+.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Leeton (3) v Albury (6) - Im going for Leeton on this one. Albury seem a bit flat and combine that with a long road trip to the MIA, Leeton to win 15+.
Ag College (5) v Griffith (4) – Match of the Round - Ag College to sneak home against the Blacks. Home ground advantage and the students enthusiasm and fitness to get them the chocolates. Ag College to win by 7.
Tumut (2) v City (8) - Tumut to be too strong across the park and to win comfortably. I really like Tumut this year, seem to have a really good balance across the park. City seem to be yet again all bark and no bite. Tumut to win by 30+.
Waratahs (1) v CSU (7) - When was the last time the 'Mercy Rule' was applied in SIRU?? Dare I ask if there is room for triple digits on the scoreboard at CSU? This will get very ugly, very quickly for CSU. Waratahs to win by 70+.

Agree with all your predictions - except some of the Margins & I can't pick the Aggies v Griffith match - its the same old story - Griffith are the Jekyll & Hyde team of the Competition - they basically have 2 Teams - a Good one at home and a not so good one on the Road- but I'll take the cahnce they bring a pretty handy side to Wagga Today and get a narrow win
Pride will make sure CSU don't get beaten by 3 digits- I hope so for their sake

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU Round 4 - Leeton 29 d Albury 19, Ag Coll 99 d Griffith 3 ( that score is correct), Waratahs 85 d CSU 0, Tumut 37 d City 26

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
SIRU Round 4 - Leeton 29 d Albury 19, Ag Coll 99 d Griffith 3 ( that score is correct), Waratahs 85 d CSU 0, Tumut 37 d City 26

Looks like a long season for the Reddies. Where do the Reddies go from here?

Griffith with a million blokes out today and therefore soundly beaten.

Wagga City and Albury obviously close and competitive in defeat from the scores

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Looks like a long season for the Reddies. Where do the Reddies go from here?

Griffith with a million blokes out today and therefore soundly beaten.

Wagga City and Albury obviously close and competitive in defeat from the scores

my spies tell me that CSUs fortunes this year had been forecasted years ago. 99% of students play for Ag College, means they have no sustainable depth or culture within the club. This was evident when the current thinking by the coach was to fill the 1st XV with poms, scots or it seems anyone else but students! Relying on rugby league second graders isn't going to help their case either. Aggies have never chased imports and have never gone away from their roots as a Uni club first and foremost and look at their recent history compared to the chalks. Where to from here? Get the old boys more involved, get a plan organised for recruiting students or else they'll fold. Maybe they seriously need to think of a merger? Maybe with City?
CSU won't win a game in 2016 and they'll be on the end of a few more cricket scores yet. Sad, but true.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
my spies tell me that CSUs fortunes this year had been forecasted years ago. 99% of students play for Ag College, means they have no sustainable depth or culture within the club. This was evident when the current thinking by the coach was to fill the 1st XV with poms, scots or it seems anyone else but students! Relying on rugby league second graders isn't going to help their case either. Aggies have never chased imports and have never gone away from their roots as a Uni club first and foremost and look at their recent history compared to the chalks. Where to from here? Get the old boys more involved, get a plan organised for recruiting students or else they'll fold. Maybe they seriously need to think of a merger? Maybe with City?
CSU won't win a game in 2016 and they'll be on the end of a few more cricket scores yet. Sad, but true.
The Reddies are in dire straights with the only reason the club is still receiving Uni funding is due to their association with CSU netball which gives them the necessary student percentage of >50% to maintain Uni funding. Their poor culture is known by students and that is why the majority steer clear.
Whereas on the other hand Ag College as a club consists of all students and 1 old boy in James Grimmett which is creating the culture we are all seeing on and off the field. Word on the grapevine is also that College had 34 blokes for 3rd grade yesterday!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Maybe they seriously need to think of a merger? Maybe with City?

Reddies are having a tough patch. Nothing more. All clubs go through it and it isn't that long ago that Leeton were regular whipping boys and they are top 3 now.
I think the chances of a City - Reddies merger are somewhat slimmer than slim ! Given that City has extremely strong player numbers and is in rude financial health , it would seem an unusual marriage at best.

I think the best option would be for Reddies to tough it out, work hard to secure students and get good people in the right committee spots.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Bubba. It's more than simply a tough patch or a case of peaks ang troughs. My guess is that they go for a quick fix with some recruits from the UK or South Pacific. This will only further alienate them from the student body. CSU have lost the student attraction & the culture is very, very poor. I'd be getting an old boy in as coach for each grade and start there. I'm not across the funding allocations or entitlements from the Uni, but if it depends on a playing population of >50% students, then the netballers are their only hope! I only thought of city merger, as Aggies wouldnt go near them, let alone be associated with them. Be good to hear from a CSU rep or player on GGRF to speak up for the club. Would be interesting to hear their thoughts.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Wagga City may be 0 and 4 but haven't been blown away at all. Simply lacking the poise to finish out a game. Very well could have won their last 2 matches and weren't thumped prior. I assume that this required poise will come through as the season develops. By that stage however I think other sides will have caught up fitness wise, balancing out their biggest threat.

Leeton getting it done week in week out. Obviously haven't hit their straps yet. Seru will bring them up to speed quickly if track record continues.

Tumut much the same. However haven't played Tahs or Leeton yet. Will be interesting to see these games over the next month. They are a solid side but will be tested here.

Tahs in 3rd gear at the moment. Pity the side they are playing when they hit overdrive. Le Leivre is outstanding from all reports.

Ag College will soon stop sliding under the radar. The student bond must be strong out there with the way they've played in the last two weeks. Win with 14 then a cricket score shows something is clicking there. A very strong attitude if nothing else.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Tahs vs Tumut this week should be an absolute belter of a match this weekend. First real test for either side.
The battle in the centres, Hooper/Joe Reynolds vs Tom Hobbs/ Gus Le Lievre will go a long way to deciding the game.
Forward battle will set the tone. tumut big boys will go toe to toe with the tahs. The issue I see is can they go speed wise with them for 80 minutes.

Should be a ripper of a game

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Dai Hooper/Joe Reynolds vs Tom Hobbs/ Gus Le Lievre will go a long way to deciding the game.
Forward battle will set the tone. tumut big boys will go toe to toe with the tahs. The issue I see is can they go speed wise with them for 80 minutes.

I reckon the Bulls have a selection dilemma there with Joe Reynolds and their starting centre from the weekend. I don't know the name of their curly headed centre but I thought he handled himself pretty well on Saturday against James Curgenven.

Acknowledge that Le Lievre is a step up and that Joe is an accomplished centre also, it's a good problem for the Bulls to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.