• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon the Bulls have a selection dilemma there with Joe Reynolds and their starting centre from the weekend. I don't know the name of their curly headed centre but I thought he handled himself pretty well on Saturday against James Curgenven.

Acknowledge that Le Lievre is a step up and that Joe is an accomplished centre also, it's a good problem for the Bulls to have.

And I should also say that Waratahs probably have a selection dilemma in the centres as well, or should Tim Corcoran consider a move into #6? ...... :) He's a handy player to have in second grade.

FooQ2

Frank Row (1)
Long time lurker, First time poster. Happened to be down at the Steamers training for a bit tonight and I couldn't help but noticing some big names running around in the backline. Olds, Manion, Devlin, Le Cornu - not sure the Steamers season is over just yet.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Five Preview:
Some bizarre results from last weekend, top marks to the Blacks for playing all three games on the weekend, I’m sure they felt every minute on Sunday! I hear that Albury were in the mix against the Phantoms, but probably need to start a bit better. Tumut v City was a tough game for both teams and there was plenty of feeling in the match!

Albury (6) v Ag College (4)
This match was a cricket score last year, 101-0 to Albury and I’m pretty confident that won’t be the case this year. Ag College are starting to string some form together and are showing the competition that they are in it together and are going to play for 80mins.

The Steamers appear to be putting some building blocks in place for the season and are adjusting to a new look team in 2016. It’s round five now though and they should be settling into some combinations and looking to the Dave Coyle’s and Aaron MacDougall’s of the team to lead from the front.

The match up between Gabe Whathisname and Aaron MacDougall in the front row should be a good one. If Richard Manion has enough brownie points for a run this weekend, he will surely have an impact on this game.

Griffith (5) v City (7)
The writing’s on the wall for these guys now. Round Five and sitting mid-table, they need to start getting some points on the ladder to be there at the pointy end of the season.

City haven’t be disgraced in any of their games so far but are probably lacking that sustained effort that allows teams to control a game for 80mins. Some of their younger players stood up for them last week and showed some class out wide and at halfback which is a positive for them as a club.

Griffith are in a similar position to City, however have managed a win over CSU early on. Successive losses to Waratahs, Leeton and Ag College aren’t what they want though and form on the road is something they need to address.

I don’t think this game will determine either team’s season, but they are both desperate for a win in this match and I reckon Griffith will be very different this week to what they were last week at Beres Ellwood. Was it @maulalltheway who described Griffith as the Jekyll and Hyde of the competition? Probably a pretty accurate description at Round 5, what will the rest of the season hold for them?

Waratahs (1) v Tumut (2) – Match of the Round
Both teams are deservedly top of the table as they have shown the most initiative across the competition to date, this game will be a good one. Get down to Conolly on Saturday if you’re in Wagga, there’s plenty to play for in this match.

An evenly matched forward pack for both teams here, although they do want to play different styles. Waratahs are keen to play outside the 15m lines and provide wide support roles to their centres. This style allows them to win the ball quickly out there, but are they vulnerable to a fast pilfer from the tackler and can they maintain this style for 80mins? Waratahs traditionally look to that “pod” style pattern from their forwards, however with some new faces in their ranks, will this take some time to fine tune?

Tumut’s forwards are able to match Waratahs in terms of size and skill, however probably favour the centre of the field to attack through the middle or look for the “exhaust” pattern and roll around the corner. Ball runners off Tino Manualevo is their preferred option to settle the play down and look for mismatches; they generally make ground here but have to work hard for those metres.

Waratahs centre Angus Le Leivre is getting the wraps he deserves; he played Shute Shield for a reason. He will need to work harder against Tumut though than he has so far this season as the Bulls don’t mind defending and have some hard shoulders to offer in defence.

There’s no doubt that Waratahs are a comprehensive outfit at the moment and have been putting some very strong results together. This creates an interesting situation for Coach Mitchell – handy players in second grade, big wins in First Grade, selection headaches across the park. What drives the team that bags the big results? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good problem to have, however big wins can breed complacency.

Saturday should bring a great day for rugby, sunny, temperature in the high teens late in the day – a near perfect day for footy. For me, the Bulls ability to hold shape in defence will be important and from a Waratahs point of view, their ability to be patient with their systems will be tested this week.

CSU (8) v Leeton (3)
Another tough gig for the Reddies against a handy Phantoms outfit this week. Reddies will not lay down in this one and will make every effort to frustrate their opposition and score against the run of play wherever they can.

Leeton need to keep working hard for each other, particularly in the later stages of the game. My scouts tell me that the Phantoms have been vulnerable in the middle of the second half and are guilty of a bit of a drop in concentration which they probably need to shore up.

They have a strong forward pack and some good ball runners through the middle of the field, a sustained effort for the full 80mins from the Phantoms would make them hard to stop.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
......noticing some big names running around in the backline. Olds, Manion, Devlin, Le Cornu......

Noticed some interested spectators with the Juniors on Tuesday night! Yes, all are back on the paddock - but availability is yet to be confirmed.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Albury (6) v Ag College (4)
The Steamers get over the line in this one by 14. The Steamers are in the rather unfamiliar position of flying under the radar in 2016 and Aggies are on a high after last weekend, but I think Aggies will be up against a more polished and well oiled machine this weekend.
Griffith (5) v City (7)
Griffith will win this one confortably (25+), as their depth will return and City can not match them anywhere on the park.
Waratahs (1) v Tumut (2) – Match of the Round
An absolute cracker to begin with, but Tahs to get the chocolates in the win in the end. I predict there will be a 15-25min period where Tumut will drop the intensity and enthusiasm, after expelling all their energy and this is where Tahs experience and big game players will exploit them and ultimately where the game will be won. Opening 15mins to be tough, those country lads always like to give it to the slickers!
CSU (8) v Leeton (3)
Leeton by 70. Just another nail in the CSU coffin this weekend. Merger talks to begin on Monday. Any takers??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 5 Scores;
Wagga City 40 d Griffith 31
Wagga Waratahs 43 d Tumut 14
Leeton 31 d CSU Reddies 14
Albury 36 d Wagga Ag 15

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Has there been much talk of the Brumbies Provincial Championships - I believe they are in Batemans Bay this year? Anyone know if South Australia are back in the comp?

The South Coast side has struggled the last few years - hope now they are back at home they may be able to bolster their squad abit - but can't see anyone getting past another strong Southern Inland side. . .

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Has there been much talk of the Brumbies Provincial Championships - I believe they are in Batemans Bay this year? Anyone know if South Australia are back in the comp?

The South Coast side has struggled the last few years - hope now they are back at home they may be able to bolster their squad abit - but can't see anyone getting past another strong Southern Inland side.

Not much talk about it to be honest @No.8; Batemans Bay is the venue this year, not sure if SA are coming across for this one.

They didn't make it to Wagga last year, I can't see them making it the extra 4 hours to the Bay.

I agree that SIRU should have a strong team, I see some familiar Monaro names now playing in Canberra, hopefully they can recover from those losses.

For me, the match against NSW Country will be the real test for the Brumbies Provincial and for anyone who is keen on Rep Rugby in this area, beating those guys should be their aim.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not much talk about it to be honest @No.8; Batemans Bay is the venue this year, not sure if SA are coming across for this one.

They didn't make it to Wagga last year, I can't see them making it the extra 4 hours to the Bay.

I agree that SIRU should have a strong team, I see some familiar Monaro names now playing in Canberra, hopefully they can recover from those losses.

For me, the match against NSW Country will be the real test for the Brumbies Provincial and for anyone who is keen on Rep Rugby in this area, beating those guys should be their aim.

Cheers mate - yea I haven't too much either from the Monaro/South Coast area - you would think the Monaro guys maybe a little bit stronger due to now have the comp playing some stronger sides from Canberra.

Then you have some of the guys playing for Canberra/Queanbeyan sides (unfortunately not able to be selected though for the Monaro side) but possibly may bring that experience back in the coming years.

Do you know where the Brumbies Prov Rep side is playing NSW Country this year? Before a Brumbies game again?

Might take a drive down to the Bay to watch acouple of the games during the long weekend and report back!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just after I wrote the above I saw the below on the Monaro Facebook page -

Looks like they have put a good structured program together.

Good to see the Bungendore Mudchooks providing players to the South Coast side - the Mudchooks are an extremely good side this year so will bolster the South Coast Team.

The following personnel will fill the 2016 Coaching & Management staff for Monaro Representative Program.
Coach: Dave Anable
Asst. Coach: Matt Klem
Sports Trainer: Anthony White
Manager: Gary Stephens

The structure of the program is detailed below.
Week 1 – Wednesday 18th May Training/trial Campese Oval, Queanbeyan 6.30 pm
Week 2 – Wednesday 25th May training /trial Campese Oval, Queanbeyan 6.30 pm (Select & notify squad after this session)
Week 3 – Wednesday 1st of June Training Campese Oval, Queanbeyan 6.30 pm (proposed opposed session against Queanbeyan)
Week 3/4 – Sunday 5th of June. Probable Sunday session to check on injuries and tune up if required.
Week 4 – Wednesday 8th of June Training Campese Oval ,Queanbeyan 6.30 pm (proposed opposed session against Queanbeyan)
Brumbies Provincial Tournament – Batemans Bay June Long Weekend 11th, 12th & 13th June
Can clubs please pass this information onto their players and could clubs/players that wish to nominate themselves or players please provide their details (club/position) to Dave Anable - 0418119208 david@arwmultigroup.com or Gary Stephens - 0428 396 570 garybeth@tpg.com.au.
There has been big turnover of players from last year’s Monaro Team so all positions will be vacant. Young and Harden will be included in the program this year, while the Bungendore Mudchooks will not be a part of the Monaro Program in 2016 however they will be bolstering up the South Coast Representative team, as the South Coast Zone only has three allocated teams to select from. This allocation to the South Coast have been approved by the Community Rugby Committee.
At the conclusion of the Monaro Rep Program and Brumbies Provincial Tournament, the Brumbies Provincial Team selected will travel the Bathurst, NSW the following weekend (18th June) to again take on the NSW Country Cockatoos. More details are to come around the specifics of that fixture

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Any updates on how Coota & Temora are travelling in their 1 Grade Central West Comp - there are never any scores published so I wonder if it is working or not for them

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any updates on how Coota & Temora are travelling in their 1 Grade Central West Comp - there are never any scores published so I wonder if it is working or not for them

I've heard of some big wins for Temora, I recall also that Coota bagged a win recently. Other than that, it's pretty quiet I think?

The Central West guys don't view that competition as First Grade footy in any sense (it probably sits somewhere around 2nd Grade standard) which probably explains why the zone isn't publicising too much.

Zist

Frank Row (1)
After round 10, the Central Comp is split, half play against Northern comp teams, and half play against Southern teams. Not sure how the finals are played though

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Six Preview:

It’s been a big week in SIRU this week and there’s plenty to play for across the board this week, particularly mid-table. City, Albury, Griffith, Tumut, Aggies and Reddies all have plenty to gain from this weekend without even contemplating the 1v2 Leeton v Tahs match.

Some interesting news this week also with Sterling Ross having a run off the bench for Ag College this week; I don’t know what to make of this to be honest, I can understand Sterlo wanting to play for Aggies given his pre-season commitment and I get that this is a big weekend for him (and both clubs) given his history, however I don’t know if this is the right thing for Aggies as a club. Happy to be proved otherwise though.

City (7) v Albury (5)
This game will be a good one, City coming off their first win last week and Albury will want to send James Olds out with a bang which will make for a great game. Add to that mix the Nathan Honeyman/Albury Steamers relationship just puts more spice in there!

Albury are caught between needing to move on and plan without James Olds for the remainder of the comp, but also want to make the most of him while they’ve got him – will this affect their preparation? Not that the Steamers are a one man band, they have a few options in the back line, just that he will be hard to replace. How’s Richard Manion’s honker coming along?

City showed against the Bulls that they can play some smart footy and actually have some pretty exciting players in their outside backs, hopefully the City forwards can provide the platform for these young kids to let loose out wide this week.

Griffith (6) v Tumut (3)
No more Willie De Meyer for the Blacks and also the first time the club has “welcomed” Dan Dowson back home; again there are plenty of angles in this game. Adjusting to the new coaching structure with Aled Francis and Mat Vitucci could take some time, however I’m sure the team will react well.

Tumut will have learnt some lessons from last week’s game against Waratahs and from what I have heard from the game, had some good opportunities to score points which went begging on the weekend.

Both teams like playing that physical style of game and will approach this match trying to get the most out of each other in that regard. I’m looking forward to seeing these teams go at it this weekend in what will be a good match.

Ag College (4) v CSU (8)
Dirk Diggler’s Cousin Mike “Magic” Van Diggler had a solid game for Ag College last week with some good turnovers at the ruck. When Aggies provide support to him at the breakdown, they generally do well and I’m confident that this is something that Coach McCarthy and his troops will have worked on this week.

This match is always a big game for both clubs and is also somewhat of a danger game as the underdog has a great chance in this match as nerves, the big crowd and some fit birds add pressure on the younger players to perform. Bragging rights on campus are at stake, can Aggies walk the walk as well as they talk the talk against CSU this week?

Leeton (2) v Waratahs (1) – Match of the Round
Another 1v2 match this week for Waratahs and a big test for the Phantoms.

Waratahs still haven’t had the chance to have all players available and on the park so far this year which is an ominous sign for the competition, there have been a few niggling injuries and some buck’s parties that have kept players in 2nd grade, if Waratahs get these guys on the park, they will be dangerous.

The Phantoms are tracking along pretty well so far and are also one of two undefeated teams in the competition to date, although surely this weekend will test that record. The Phantoms are still building on their strong forward pack and need to look for more link players through the middle of the field, defence could also be an issue for them through the middle this week.

I do hear some good words about their outside backs, particularly their 13; however I am yet to see him have a run. Waratahs are also blessed with some quality out wide and will want to spread the ball to these faster players this week.

Forward packs are pretty even for these teams, I hear that Marika Vunibaka has made the switch to the second row which could provide some headaches around the fringes if Waratahs aren’t on their game. I heard he had a pretty handy run against Reddies last week and was scattering players like ten-pins!

Leeton will be a stronger outfit at No 1 Oval than they are on the road and will need all the strength they can muster to ensure they challenge well this week. Waratahs will be keen to keep their undefeated record intact and will work hard for that reward this week.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Poor Form by Aggies playing Sterling Ross tomorrow - can't they see they are getting used
1 Training Run so far is the word around the traps and selected on the Bench for 1st Grade & surprise Surprise the match is against CSU
The Club should have told him to turn up for Training for 2 weeks without missing a session and select him after that
Ag College have put winning ahead of their culture and that is disappointing
Aggies are luck that CSU are very Ordinary this year and will win in a canter
Other Winners Waratahs, Albury & Griffith to cause an upset over Tumut

Status
Not open for further replies.