• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If they haven't just move on with the Clubs that have replied

the dates referred to are for Super Rugby , International matches and the World Cup - so if we can have the Draw for SIRU ASAP we might be able to see if we can go to some of these games

It's the age old conundrum isn't it... Release the draw without all the club's feedback and then watch the complaints roll in.
Wait for the clubs to respond and action as per their wishes, complaints come in from general public not knowing why the draw isn't out.

I don't envy the guys from SIRU and the Board in that regard.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The girls games were only about 10 minutes per half Reasoning. Maybe they were a bit longer. Sometimes a long trip for such a short game. Pretty energetic though with only 7 players on the field. Is there any further discussion about an U18s competition. Is this an area that needs expansion?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
10- A - Side Womens Comp kicking off this year - how many minutes were they planning each 10's match to run for ?

The girls games were only about 10 minutes per half Reasoning. Maybe they were a bit longer. Sometimes a long trip for such a short game. Pretty energetic though with only 7 players on the field.

Traditionally, the Women's 7's have been 10min halves, with the move to 10 a side, the proposal is 15-20min halves with a 5 player scrum. Adds a whole range of additional points to the game itself. Add in there that there's some discussion about when to play the games, between 3rds and 2nds or between 2nds and 1sts puts another layer over that, particularly in regards to referee appointments (SIRRA numbers will be stagnant at best in 2019).

Is there any further discussion about an U18s competition. Is this an area that needs expansion?

There are some strategic level plans that the zone are looking forward to. I suppose the key point here is that the player's don't grow on trees and there needs to be a defined link between Senior and Junior Clubs.

I feel that the additional byes and playing the SIRU City v Country Games are a step towards strengthening that link and show Junior Players and Parents that there is a pathway there for little Billy and Mary to link up with a Senior Club.

While it's good to see that sort of movement at the zone level, there's no reason that clubs can't engage with their local junior footy club and coordinate training sessions or exhibition matches on a Saturday.

From my experience, the best transitions of players from Junior to Senior clubs was happening in the early/mid 2000's and was the result of a very committed group of parents across a number of Senior and Junior Clubs who guided that transition and made sure that groups of players stuck together and eventually played Senior Grade footy together. There is no magic bullet to make that happen again, the relationships have to be developed.

Food for thought.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think we need a colts style division in country rugby zones. Probably an U19s or U20s. I realise people are going to say it’s impossible. Interestingly on the SIRU website it says SIRU Juniors hold gala days for U6s to U18s.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
It's a disgrace that it is mid January and the draw still has not been released. All other codes in the region released their draws in November, yet we wait till December to ask the clubs for feedback and ideas. Why not hold the AGM earlier so the draw could of been already sorted.
Its a pain in the ass for us clubs trying to sort out events etc for the year

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
My understanding of the 3 questions:

The 16 rounds were discussed at the November 2017 AGM in positive tones but nothing happened and the board made a call this year.

Womens in 10's with 20 minute halves being played as it is currently before 2nd grade.

If players commit to rep footy and get selected in the brumbies they can't play for their club that weekend - either they are out injured or playing NSW Country.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Ok who are the big movers this year. Is there another big gap between Waratahs and the rest of us? I heard Albury have new imports. Griffith may have 2 new Fijian imports. Are Reddies and Lollipops on the way up? Will Phantoms and Bulls be stronger again this year or will Aggies keep on going from where they left off last year?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Ok who are the big movers this year. Is there another big gap between Waratahs and the rest of us? I heard Albury have new imports. Griffith may have 2 new Fijian imports. Are Reddies and Lollipops on the way up? Will Phantoms and Bulls be stronger again this year or will Aggies keep on going from where they left off last year?

I really hope the gap closes. How good would a tight season be.

Have the feeling that the coaching changes at City and Reddies can only be positive.
Good to hear Griffith moving the right direction. The comp benefits significantly when Griffith are playing well.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Heard on the Grapevine that there is a critical shortage of qualified referees in the Zone for the upcoming season
If this is the case Clubs will be required to provide match officials for a couple of Grades each Weekend
Have the Referees Association taken their eye off the ball in recent seasons or is this a sign of the times for the Code in this Zone for the future
Let's hope the Clubs provide plenty of support to the Whistleblowers because Help is definitely needed

Read through the past (at least) three season's worth of blogs here mate, it's been in the pipeline for years. Numbers have been gradually declining for a range of reasons - family, kids, time, availability etc.

It's been a discussion point at the past 4 SIRU AGM's also.

Some clubs have a great attitude to supporting referees and have been very keen to lend a hand and create a positive environment for their own members to referee. Others have a way to go.

SIRRA will welcome all interested members for the 2019 season.
https://www.southerninlandrugbyreferees.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Southern-Inland-Rugby-Referee-Association-2039567606129670/

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
In the end Referees have to be properly accredited to Referee contact Rugby and whilst the Clubs may be helping out in some parts of the Zone they have to be ticked off properly before thy can officiate a match

Maybe SIRU and SIRRA may need to seek support from ACT Rugby in this area although the issue will be how many Refs are currently accredited in the ACT

All good points gents, all points that the referee's association and board are aware of.

Accreditation is a sticking point for all levels of the game in all zones. The ARU have moved to a centralised, self paced model with some boxes to tick as far as referee coaching go (which I think are positive moves). However the resources in the bush just aren't there to make it happen.

Referee numbers are down across all associations at the moment. CW, ACTRRA are also in need of support.

The payment question is an interesting debate from a referee perspective. It's a double edged sword in my view and creates issues at an amateur level.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Obviously accrediatation is a big issue but if something goes wrong (Serious Injury) that is the first question that is going to asked of the Referee and the respective coach
To the best of my knowledge, SmartRugby is the only mandatory requirement to referee or coach a game of rugby.

The silly season is still in session with the latest rumour doing the rounds is that Noa Rabici (Leeton premiership player) may be playing with a Wagga Club this year and surprise Surprise it isn't Waratahs !!!

Potentially Reddies?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
To Referee I thought you would have to have current Law accrediattion (Referee Exam) supported by being Smart Rugby accredited
If u only need to be Smart Rugby caccredited to Referee then it should be much easier to get new Referees without worrying about Ref's courses

Not Reddies - but very Warm
They're all desirables and clearly the ARU, SIRU and SIRRA want high levels of accreditation etc.

Maintaining those accreditations isn't easy to do though for coaches or referees.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Sounds pretty confusing to me - so can a person refereeing a SIRU match with only Smart Rugby Accreditation be be covered for Insurance if a Serious Injury takes place on either his or her watch, and is the SIRU Board and the Club that made the appointment also covered
Yes.

With on line courses etc being available these days I wonder where the difficulty is with the maintenance of the accreditations ?

Online is the easy part and all members are up to date with online quals "at level".

Field testing is the problem - ie a physical assessment by a qualified referee coach is required. For a Level 2 Referee, that's 5x field assessments from a Level 2 Referee Coach in a 15 a side format over a 12month period. The majority of SIRRA Members were qualified to Level 2.

With 1st , 2nd , Womens 10-A -Side and several 3rd Grade matches being played each Saturday we are looking at a total of approx 15 matches being played each weekend - How many match officials has SIRRA got at the moment to cover these games before asking for assistance from the Clubs ?

I don't have the exact figure, however some simple maffs will tell you that there are 14 plus Matches each week to cover. From memory, the membership was 8-12 regular referees in 2018 which is likely to decline in 2019 which would see CTA (Club To Appoint) at a 2nd Grade level at the minimum.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Are refs paid for refereeing a game? If they aren’t they should be. They have acquired accreditation. To ref a game requires a great amount of skill. Especially our game. Everything in today’s world is global and user pay. Our refs deserve appropriate remuneration. Otherwise we just don’t have quality rugby. Who is going to pay? The people playing the game and the people watching the game.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Are refs paid for refereeing a game? If they aren’t they should be. They have acquired accreditation. To ref a game requires a great amount of skill. Especially our game. Everything in today’s world is global and user pay. Our refs deserve appropriate remuneration. Otherwise we just don’t have quality rugby. Who is going to pay? The people playing the game and the people watching the game.

Payment might be a motivator for some, it might also be a double edged sword. Fee for service is a slippery slope for me.

Support and good club culture are much bigger motivators in my eyes.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Unless things have changed in recent years I was under the impression that Referees get re-imbursed mileage at the end of the season at .40c per kilometre ?
They only got re-imbursed if they travelled outside their home town - in other words if you were a referee living in Leeton you never got paid anything if you did a Phantoms match in Leeton
I agree with Paul - the time has come to pay Referees on top of their mileage re-imbursement - lets say $50 a match for a 1st Grade match and scale it down from there ??
There is absolutely no doubt that Players love to see a proper Referee on the field instead of seeing some male or female from their own club or the opposition club run on the field in joggers, no cards, sometimes no whistle and lots of times having no idea
Someone made a comment the other day that SIRU matches should be played on Saturdays and Sundays because of the Referee shortage - lets hope it hasn't got that bad !!

All good points @Reasoning other than the Sunday matches.

The ARU are working on a project to determine payment schemes for Premier Rugby (Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra/Melbourne/Perth), but are yet to come up with a methodology for Community Rugby levels. It becomes very very difficult to mandate payment terms but I think it will get there eventually.

It'll help but the mechanics are important and it won't be a silver bullet.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
We really do have some excellent referees. In the old days when the social side of rugby was a lot bigger than it is today the refs would generally stay around and have a few beverages after the game. If we are to get more good quality referees we need to make the whole experience an enjoyable one. And we need to remunerate them appropriately. Travel expenses and at least $100+ a game for 1st grade games. Maybe that’s not enough.It should be a requirement that all clubs have refs qualified enough to do games below top grade. I know it’s not going to happen in the short term but that’s where we should be heading.