• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spirits thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
As far a single malts go, for everyday drinking I love Highland Park (Orkney Isles)12yo its got everything smoke, fire, spice and a little fruit. My girlfriend has recently discovered the joys of Coal Ila 12 yo ( although she'd drink the more aged stuff if we could afford it) for that really smoky flavour.

The Caol Ila 12 is gorgeous, I love it. If you want an amazing drink though, I'd recommend the gear from Suntory Yamazaki - Japanese single malt. The 18 is heaven-sent but the 12 is also far better than a poke in the eye. Thoroughly recommend.

18 YO - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2941.aspx
12 YO - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2940.aspx

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm a bourbon fan from way back, I like the Jack Daniels stuff. I have tried most of their offerings, Gentleman Jack is one of my favoured ones. I have tried, silver select single barrel and the regular single barrel. Both are a bit more harsh than gentleman jack, but still nice.
Woodford Reserve is another worth checking out.
Value for money wise, I generally get Makers Mark, now that it is normally around the $39-45.00 mark, it is pretty good value for how good it is.
Canadium Club 12yo is not too bad either
Yes, I know JD is not techniquely bourbon, as is CC. But they all get thrown about in the same category most of the time.

No way Trophyhunter! Never call JD a bourbon! :)

Agree on the Gentleman Jack its good stuff.

The one below looks interesting. Although I don't quite have the money to burn to buy it - if they had current stock.

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_720082/jack-daniel-s-gold-medal-1981-whiskey-1l

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree with much of that, Trophyhunter. Really like Woodford Reserve. Also, Eagle Rare single barrel (10 yo) is great, but a bit exxy (about $70). Also Blantons is pretty good.

T

trophyhunter

Agree with much of that, Trophyhunter. Really like Woodford Reserve. Also, Eagle Rare single barrel (10 yo) is great, but a bit exxy (about $70). Also Blantons is pretty good.

I always look at the Blantons with the little horse on top and wonder if it is any good or just a gimmick to attract buyers. Might buy some this arvo and enjoy a bit with the Rugby tonight.

T

trophyhunter

No way Trophyhunter! Never call JD a bourbon! :)

Agree on the Gentleman Jack its good stuff.

The one below looks interesting. Although I don't quite have the money to burn to buy it - if they had current stock.

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_720082/jack-daniel-s-gold-medal-1981-whiskey-1l[/quote]

Yes it is almost sacrilege to call anything from Mr Daniels a bourbon, but it is in the same aisle at the bottle-o haha

I have a few bottles of that Gold Medal Stuff at home, the bottles are nice as is the contents. I bought mine duty free so it was not that price, but buying at home at full totes I would stick with the Gentleman Jack.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just left Whiskey Live event in East Melbourne. 75+ tastings available. Winner for me was Glenrothes 1988, butter smooth Speyside single malt. Laphroaig, close to my heart, was great as always and the Tasmanian whiskies exceeded all expectations. Sydney show coming soon, great way to learn more about a good dram

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who posted this thread?

I have now had to crack open the Laphroig for a quick snifter. Prefer Laphroig and Lagavulin Malts from Islay as I find the mainland malts like Glenmorangie a little too smooth and homogenous for my taste.

Give me some seaweed and strong peat flavours any time. Have tried some of the other Islay malts, but generally these are hard to source in Olde Sydney Towne.

T

trophyhunter

After reading a bit in this thread about scotch's and all the varieties on offer I decided to try a few out. So I found a nice restaurant in Brisbane with a varied whisky menu and told the girl. "I think we should go somewhere nice for dinner, so sort out something to wear."

It wasn't the cheapest night out, but after a few entree's a nice main and a really tasty creme brulee for dessert, The missus think's I am a champ and I got to try 18yo Glenfiddich, Glenlivet and a Dahlwhinnie 15 yo.

Maybe I shouldn't have, because now I might have to expand my collection of Bourbons to include one or two bottle of scotch aswell. I always thought the smokey, peaty, spicy ect, ect descriptions were, to be blunt, a bit wanky. Being no expert, even I could taste what they were talking about and the 'whisky map' is good to help choose something you might like.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see you have joined the Scotch Club, Mr T. Hunter.

Always good to challenge and broaden the taste buds.

Not happy to have you bump this thread in the middle of "Dry July" when I am off the sauce:( .

Another Queenslander tormenting me, just like your mob in Red did last Saturday night. :p

Two weeks before I go anywhere near my fav bottle of Laphroig, and counting.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
This got onto tequila for a while there, I got this one to try. Any good? or should I just lick, sip, suck?

2012-07-01 21.02.59.jpg

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Worth a shot Timmsy. I haven't had it but I hear it's decent though not amazing. Get amongst!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Talisker%2012%20Year%20Old%20Scotch%20Whisky.jpg

Not cheap but a good peaty whiskey. The preferred tipple of Robert Louis Stevenson apparently.

T

trophyhunter

Noticed in the Courier Mail today Glenlivet 12 is on special at Dan's for about $45. Time to add some scotch to the bourbon cabinet I think

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^That is an impressive list that Malt Madness has put together.

Dry July is over.

My fav bottle of Laphroig is calling me for a session tonight.

One thing I have noticed is that the higher up the Malt Madness list the malts are, the higher up the price scale they are, and the more I want to get my taste buds around them.

The other thing is that once you have tasted the Highly Recommended and above Malts, you want to stay there.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
If no one's mentioned it... Mortlach 12yo or older. Like an angel pissed on yer tonsils. In the town of Dufftown, where Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Mortlach and two or three other distilleries reside, the locals drink Mortlach.
So do I.

Slainte or however you spell it!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Got a BWS gift card for fathers day so am looking to try a new malt in the $60-80 range. Have done the Dymples, Chivas, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich routes plenty of times. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.