• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spirits thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Has anyone had any experience with Pisco Brandy? Had a Pisco sour at a Tapas bar the other week and now I'm looking for a good brand. Any suggestions?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The references above on the Auchentoshan three wood are illuminating. Scotch whiskies have traditionally been matured in second-hand barrels bought from American bourbon distillers; the Septics use their barrels only once and sell them to the Scots for a cheap price. And there are plenty of them. Barrels, that is.

The last few decades the Scotch whisky distillers have started to use barrels other than bourbon to "finish" their whiskies in an attempt to revitalise interest in their products. Scotch whisky consumption has slowly decreased as our fathers pass on leaving fewer and fewer old codgers propping up the bars at golf clubs. And the ever-increasing number of cheap bourbon drinkers among the great unwashed has added to the decline of Scotch whisky. This is where interest in the Ocker Tosha 3 wood comes in: it's finished in Spanish Oloroso sherry and Pedro Ximenez casks after starting in an American bourbon one. Other distillers are now using Portuguese port, French Sauternes, Jamaican rum, Madeira, French Armagnac and other brandy casks to finish off their best whiskies. Glenfiddich, for example, use Madeira, sherry and Caribbean rum casks in their range; Balvenie have a double wood (bourbon and sherry) which was one of the few to proclaim complex multiple barrel finishing before the OT3w came along. Now it's almost de rigueur for the better malts to spend some time in a sherry cask. This modern practice of finishing good Scotch malts in exotic barrels will only become more pronounced in the future. Will a Scotch malt ever spend some time in an Australian muscat barrel? I hope so.

Interesting to note Auchentoshan is triple distilled; Irish whiskies traditionally are but very few Scotch ones go through the still three times.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The last few decades the Scotch whisky distillers have started to use barrels other than bourbon in an attempt to revitalise interest in their products. Scotch whisky consumption has slowly decreased as our fathers pass on leaving fewer and fewer old codgers propping up the bars at golf clubs. And the ever-increasing number of cheap bourbon drinkers among the great unwashed has added to the decline of Scotch whisky. This is where interest in the Ocker Tosha 3 wood comes in: it's finished in Spanish Oloroso sherry and Pedro Ximenez casks after starting in an American bourbon one. Other distillers are now using Portuguese port, French Sauternes, Jamaican rum, Madeira, French Armagnac and other brandy casks to finish off their best whiskies. Glenfiddich, for example, use Madeira, sherry and Caribbean rum casks in their range; Balvenie have a double wood (bourbon and sherry) which was one of the few to proclaim complex multiple barrel finishing before the OT3w came along. Now it's almost de rigueur for the better malts to spend some time in a sherry cask. This modern practice of finishing good Scotch malts in exotic barrels will only become more pronounced in the future. Will a Scotch malt ever spend some time in an Australian muscat barrel? I hope so.

I couldn't find the Auchentoshan but I did pick up the Laphroaig which is a pleasant drop.
laphroaig_triple_wood2.jpg

Talisker is still my preferred tipple, but Laphroaig is a close second.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The last few decades the Scotch whisky distillers have started to use barrels other than bourbon in an attempt to revitalise interest in their products.....Other distillers are now using Portuguese port, French Sauternes, Jamaican rum, Madeira, French Armagnac and other brandy casks to finish off their best whiskies....Will a Scotch malt ever spend some time in an Australian muscat barrel?

Maybe not Scotch malt whisky but the day's rapidly approaching when an Australian malt will be finished off in an Australian wine barrel. Check here:

http://www.oakbarrel.com.au/starwar...ewsletter_2013_04_03_AB-TEST&utm_medium=email
http://newworldwhisky.com.au/#/process_and_innovation

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Has anyone had any experience with Pisco Brandy? Had a Pisco sour at a Tapas bar the other week and now I'm looking for a good brand. Any suggestions?

Pisco Sour is an excellent cocktail when it's made right. Brave man going for the egg white drink! The one thing about Pisco I'd be very careful about is that bad Pisco is BAD, like cheap vodka bad. Don Cesar Pisco Puro is a reliable choice and should be affordable even with the insane Australian liquor tax.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Oban 14 Year Old Scotch is a good one.
84913_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832057413.jpg

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_84913/

Should be around $80. My clan originally hails from Oban so I'm a fan!

Oban is one of the best scotches for introducing someone to scotch. All the lightness and fruity notes are much easier to people to get accustomed to then hitting them in the face with peat smoke right away.

This has been my go-to whiskey for the past few months:
tumblr_m8dbulFS1R1qd8h2oo1_400.jpg

Not sure if it is available in Australia but it's an incredible 12-year bourbon that retails here for ~$22 for a 750ml bottle. If there is Elijah Craig in OZ don't spring for the 18-year, the 12-year is better.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was introduced to this yesterday. The 160 proof variant (Stroh 80).

All I can say is those long cold Austrian winter nights must be tough.

Stroh-Rum.jpg

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Adding a new one to the ranks, Iridium Rum distilled in Walkamin, Atherton Tableland. Not a bad drop, way easier to drink straight and smoother than Bundy (including their double barrel). Cool bottle as well. They've got a single malt whisky just released, called 'The Big Black Cock'. Will post photos and taste test when I've got my hands on a bottle.
yme4ymen.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
cocktail_web.jpg

Wild Brumby "Devil's Tongue" Schnapps. This is a particularly firey drop, and not for the faint of heart. One for sipping not skolling.

Local drop distilled on the Alpine Way between Thredbo and Jindabyne.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Adding a new one to the ranks, Iridium Rum distilled in Walkamin, Atherton Tableland. Not a bad drop, way easier to drink straight and smoother than Bundy (including their double barrel). Cool bottle as well. They've got a single malt whisky just released, called 'The Big Black Cock'. Will post photos and taste test when I've got my hands on a bottle.

Be interested to read the tasting notes. There is no way am I going to google that brand name. :eek:

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
For you Hugh, although advertised at $190 I nearly choked like on a BBC. Try out the website mtuncle.com and check out the distillery and spirit shop page. I do have to declare that they are my cousins, and Mark (the distiller) is/was a rugby player for Uni (I think) in Cairns. His drops are pretty good.
BBCBottleandBox_1.jpg

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
For you Hugh, although advertised at $190 I nearly choked like on a BBC. Try out the website mtuncle.com and check out the distillery and spirit shop page. I do have to declare that they are my cousins, and Mark (the distiller) is/was a rugby player for Uni (I think) in Cairns. His drops are pretty good.
BBCBottleandBox_1.jpg

As long as he doesn't show up playing for the Wheatmen next season.....

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I couldn't find the Auchentoshan but I did pick up the Laphroaig which is a pleasant drop.
Picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan last night at Dr Dan.
Only had a sniff so far and so far so good. I will have a proper taste when it cools down a bit here.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
The Auchentoshan was really good. The wood has lent a soft vanilla nose which comes through on the taste but is not overpowering. I can see a wonderful relationship developing here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Baldric see post 123 above from G&GR alcohol consultant.

Auchentoshan Three Wood is a very smooth drop. The local bottlos don't have it anymore so I am searching in places father afield. I'm keen for a repeat purchase, and I am normally a Laphroig drinker (still my #1 Scotch).

I am very tempted to go to Auburn to search for it, just to see if @Gristlechewers opinion of the town is accurate (as per Aussie Towns Trivia thread). :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You are probably right. Just googled bottlos in Auburn, and there is a liquorland there and not much else. The liqourland website doesn't list much in the way of single malts, and no Auchentoshan.

Maybe @Gristlechewer is right.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Hugh, I got mine at Dan Murphy. They website says that they have more than just the 3W in stock. I dont know where Auburn is and frankly I dont want to. I lead a protected life and I can do without being exposed to trauma.
I even got the Lovely Linda to try some on sat evening. LL reckons that all whiskey is firewater, but she appreciated the subtle softness of the 3W.

Status
Not open for further replies.