• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spring Tour Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Ruggo I definitely agree. We should be looking for more from them two, which I'm sure Link will however we have the right balance between the two of them.

Simmons may not be as flashy and noticeable as Pyle, Horwill not as powerful as Timani or as physical as Skelton, but overall between the two of them we cover all the basic elements of a locking duo. Let's try and get a bit more aggression and power in contact out of them now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Regardless of who ends up getting picked, we've seen recently how important it is to actually have players playing well.

Balance is important, but having all players playing a reasonable way towards their best form is so imperative.

If all the forwards turn up and a couple of them have really strong games then our forward pack will probably get us on top. If four players are outstanding but two or three of them are horrendous we'll probably get smashed.

The biggest thing for the Wallabies is consistency. We saw that towards the end of the EOYT, particularly against Ireland and Wales where it was hard to pick out a bad player in the side. We need more Adam Ashley-Coopers who can put in consistently good performances in pretty much every game. The one thing you notice with him is that when we play well, he'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack just doing his job. When we play badly he'll be an absolute standout because he's still there performing close to his best.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think he (or Vaea) fits the backrow as McKenzie sees it. Everyone else selected have been workhorses that can play 80 regularly.

6. Fardy or Mowen
7. Pocock or Hooper
8. Higgers or Mowen

Selecting Higgers gives the running threat and would be better with Pocock at 7. This covers the extra breakdown work generally done by Mowen this year to let Hooper run more. I think both those guys will fulfil each role better than Hooper but aren't necessarily as rounded. First listed is my currently preferred backrow.

I like your first picks at 6, 7 and 8 but we could be a bit short if Ben Mowen is backup to both 6 and 8. That's where I can see Fotu coming in as backup at 8. Otherwise, I'd like to see Luke Jones given a go at 8 after Higgers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ruggo I definitely agree. We should be looking for more from them two, which I'm sure Link will however we have the right balance between the two of them.

Simmons may not be as flashy and noticeable as Pyle, Horwill not as powerful as Timani or as physical as Skelton, but overall between the two of them we cover all the basic elements of a locking duo. Let's try and get a bit more aggression and power in contact out of them now.

I'm not so sure about Rob Simmons. I agree that at his best he has improved a fair bit this year, but his performances have continued to be inconsistent and almost always marred by petty infringements. I believe he only had two games all year that were worthy of being in the Wallabies. The others were generally below the standard I'd like to see. I am hopeful that one of the other lock contenders will stand up this year to replace Rob as the starting lock.

Kev has also been way down on form but in his case we all know he has what it takes to play at this level and I believe he will step up again in 2014.

The lock contenders imo are Pyle, Carter and Skelton (maybe longer term, but given a chance could be the best of the lot).

T

Train Without a Station

I recommend you to listen to Scott Allen's program on the roar if you are going to criticise Horwill's play on this tour. He has analysed the first two games so far in a method that another site Gagger linked to does with regards to ruck effectiveness (i.e. What impact a player has on a breakdown, not just who was first). He noted that based on the England and Italy games, Horwill was ranked the highest based on what effective involvement he had, as opposed to just the number of them.

I think this is a point that people quickly overlook. A player first to a ruck to bridge over a player looks good. Second man in who cleans out an opposing jackal gets forgotten.

On Simmons, if you believe he had only 2 decent test standard games, I implore you to actually watch his involvement and compare it to that of others. Bledisloe 1, Bledisloe 3, the Italy, Ireland, Scotland and Wales games off the top of my head were all solid international lock performances from him. Not saying he's setting the international bar, but performed adequately as an international lock.

I'm not saying the bloke's play is peerless and doesn't need improvement, I just challenge anybody to prove it's inadequacy.

Once again with Skelton, I don't see how he could ever be the best of the lot. he's big and physical, but that means he will be too large to be as effective a line out jumper as Simmons or Pyle, which is one of the lock's key jobs.

Saying he jumps doesn't mean he is a line out leader, key target and quality jumper. Simmons can out-manoeuvre opponents in the air. Skelton never will, not because I don't think he is capable of developing the speed up and skill to do it, but because to do it, it would require the Waratahs sacrificing their line out for him to develop in that role and they aren't going to do that. Dennis will merely step up as a key jumper as he already does.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I recommend you to listen to Scott Allen's program on the roar if you are going to criticise Horwill's play on this tour. He has analysed the first two games so far in a method that another site Gagger linked to does with regards to ruck effectiveness (i.e. What impact a player has on a breakdown, not just who was first). He noted that based on the England and Italy games, Horwill was ranked the highest based on what effective involvement he had, as opposed to just the number of them.

Whilst I respect Scott Allen's analysis and his obvious knowledge of the game, I feel that I've never read a piece by him that doesn't conclude that the Queensland player was far better than the fans gave him credit for.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Timani was a non-jumper, mainly I think because of his ability to frequently drop the ball.

One of the key areas for lineout jumpers is their "spring" off the ground. This makes lifting significantly easier, allows them to reach a greater height, and most importantly, gets them up quicker. Some guys have the ability to launch themselves quickly upwards whilst being stiff as a board - look at POC in his younger years for a great example. From the current Wallabies, Mowen and Simmons aren't too bad, and Higgers is pretty good as well.

Even in Subbies they teach lineout jumpers how to "spring" off the ground. Some guys can do it naturally, and some guys just seem stuck to the ground.

When Timani jumps he looks like the ground is covered in super glue.

T

TOCC

If selection at lock for the Wallabies depends only on leg drive, Skelton will replace Rob Simmons at a very early date. Of course it doesn't, but I am merely pointing out your criticism of his play applies even more to Simmons who has been around for a much longer time. Simmons probably is a better lineout proponent, but Skelton does jump unlike Sita, but he (Simmons) is less effective in all other aspects of lock play imo.

Simmons is probably a better lineout proponent then Skelton?

Oh stop, now you just being gracious!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not so sure about Rob Simmons. I agree that at his best he has improved a fair bit this year, but his performances have continued to be inconsistent and almost always marred by petty infringements. I believe he only had two games all year that were worthy of being in the Wallabies. The others were generally below the standard I'd like to see. I am hopeful that one of the other lock contenders will stand up this year to replace Rob as the starting lock.

Kev has also been way down on form but in his case we all know he has what it takes to play at this level and I believe he will step up again in 2014.

The lock contenders imo are Pyle, Carter and Skelton (maybe longer term, but given a chance could be the best of the lot).
I like carter he works hard but does give away penalties. . Fardy is an option 2 you know. He will play second row next year although with kilmen gone hmmm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Whilst I respect Scott Allen's analysis and his obvious knowledge of the game, I feel that I've never read a piece by him that doesn't conclude that the Queensland player was far better than the fans gave him credit for.
I was just thinking the same thing ive never seen once in his analysis that a reds player wasnt the best.. although my sample rate is low

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was just thinking the same thing ive never seen once in his analysis that a reds player wasnt the best.. although my sample rate is low

yeah, sometimes when they bend over the sun doesn't shine any brighter

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I like carter he works hard but does give away penalties. .Fardy is an option 2 you know. He will play second row next year although with kilmen gone hmmm

Someone asked Fisher on Twitter about Fardy playing lock and he said thought he would be too light to play there under the new scrum laws.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, but the same could be said by most of the tahs (and brumbies) supporters on here with regards to any of their own franchise players, except without the quality analysis and obvious knowledge of the game part (and of course without anywhere near the same effort that he puts in - other than the time it takes to post "he said something good about a queenslander - he is wearing red glasses and therefore everything he says must be wrong).

I think he does a wonderful job educating the masses in the finer parts of rugby.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah, but the same could be said by most of the tahs (and brumbies) supporters on here with regards to any of their own franchise players, except without the quality analysis and obvious knowledge of the game part (and of course without anywhere near the same effort that he puts in - other than the time it takes to post "he said something good about a queenslander - he is wearing red glasses and therefore everything he says must be wrong).

I think he does a wonderful job educating the masses in the finer parts of rugby.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt... And im glad he makes the effort. I also have only read 3 of his analysis so my sample small.

Im a Brumbies fan and don't nearly see as much of other teams so my view slanted that way. But im an aussie fan and the fact Horwill was going to be dropped by link.. then to hear that he was the most effective. .something fucky..

T

Train Without a Station

Never heard of somebody performing after being given a rocket up their arse.

His analysis was based on the England and Italy games I believe.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
More likely that a fit and healthy Fotu Auelua will fill this role. When on song, he is almost unstoppable in a one man tackle and he hits like a sledgehammer. Also has the ability to set up outside players. With a good Super season in 2014, I tip he will make the Wallabies at No 8 in the mid year tests.

Ita Vaea is even better, he's one of very, very few players who takes contact like Lomu, in that he doesn't stop when he bumps someone off. Auelua, when he goes for the big smash, stops because he puts so much effort into that hit that he loses his momentum.

Vaea has got an amazing ability to keep running THROUGH the contact or over the top of someone like Lomu did when he took contact. He's also got amazing hands, but is only 24, rather than 30 odd.

If he can recover from this blood clot issue and get his 2012 form back, he's the 8 we've been searching for since Kefu.

I can't find the game on youtube, but if anyone wants to see why i'm frothing about him, try and find the Brumbies/Sharks game from 2012. Absolute cracker of a game, but when Vaea comes on at 55mins he just unleashes and runs the ball nearly 20 times in 25 minutes, and breaks close to 15 tackles while doing it, with only one error. It's one of the most devestating cameo's i've ever seen.

Edit: that brief highlights clip has got one of his runs 10 seconds in.

And a few more excellent touches from 4:45 on, sets up one try and has 3-4 really really good runs showing soft hands/awareness/power and agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.