• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies @ Osfontein 30/9/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Don't mean to fan the flames, but I didn't think Foley was any better than maybe a pass. He definitely did some really good things, but mixed it up with some really poor things as well, particularly in defence, but also some dud kicks.

Perfect summation.
I can't fathom why we don't at least have an alternative in the squad.
QC (Quade Cooper) has had a pretty good NRC - I'd like to see him get 15 off the bench against the Argies.
Seems like we are creating depth in all positions except arguably the most important position on the field (apologies to all the THPs on this forum)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm sorry but I think NRC form should count for sweet fuck all when It comes to the Wallabies. Quade has looked exactly the same player he's been for the last few years. Good in attack and a turnstile in defense. Until he is willing to work on that part of his game he will find it hard to break back into the test side.
The NRC is at least two levels down from Test rugby and if you compare to the equivalent Kiwi and Saffa comps a long way off what it should be.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade is done i should think. NRC form won't compensate for his abysmal Super Rugby season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The whole Foley vs Cooper debate is flogging a dead horse I feel. Quade could carry the Reds to a Super Rugby Premiership next year and Cheika still probably wouldn't pick him. The only way Quade gets in the team is if Foley is injured. Certain forum members can write as many essays as they want on the topic but as far as I can see as long as Foley is healthy there's only going to be one guy in the 10 jersey.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Quade is done i should think. NRC form won't compensate for his abysmal Super Rugby season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't completely dismiss him. He posted a few weeks ago that his leg strength was finally back to where it was before the injury. If he gets confidence in it again anything could happen. But he would have to work on his weaknesses.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'm sorry but I think NRC form should count for sweet fuck all when It comes to the Wallabies. Quade has looked exactly the same player he's been for the last few years. Good in attack and a turnstile in defense. Until he is willing to work on that part of his game he will find it hard to break back into the test side.
The NRC is at least two levels down from Test rugby and if you compare to the equivalent Kiwi and Saffa comps a long way off what it should be.

Sure - I understand where you're coming from.
But we need a backup and he's probably the no 2 until another option presents.
And I would like to see where he's at with quality players around him rather than the Reds rabble of this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
SMH need to up their sports reporting, they saying that Chuckles ,Hooper and Beale all denying that Folau did any tackling by pulling the winger's hair!! Sure Chuckles wouldn't of said that, he not a liar is he?? That kind of reporting is how coaches etc get a bad name!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I am not advocating for Cooper. And the Foley vs Cooper thing has been done well and truly to death.

However, I don't think that makes Foley removed from balanced criticism. IMO hasn't been anything better than adequate at test level for a long time now. Possibly since the World Cup. I am surprised that some have nominated him in their MOM points. Maybe the stats will prove me wrong but I thought he missed upwards of half a dozen tackles. He kicked a penalty dead and put another kick out on the full. The kicking for line was given to someone else because his kicking game isn't good enough. On the one hand, I am happy Cheika has finally done that, but I do scratch my head as to how he is playing at this level without a decent boot. He also threw the last pass for three tries and his goal kicking was spot on - so he certainly had his good moments as well.

Slim made an interesting comment earlier that he couldn't fault individual players (or something like that). I actually thought the opposite from last nights game. I thought it was a game where some players were very good, but we were let down by a number of players who were either ineffectual or had too many sub par moments. For mine Foley was one of the later.

But I still agree he is the best we have at this point in time, which is really one of the saddest indictments on the current state of our game.

T

TOCC

They need a backup especially when they travel to Europe for the EOYT.. Cant exactly just parachute someone in then...

If Foley goes down, who plays 5/8? Beale perhaps, might work if Karmichael is fit and can slot in at 12, but if he isn't then who? Hodge is the next closest thing the Wallabies have to a ball-player in the backline.

Losing To'omua to the NH was an absolute tragedy for this reason.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
SMH need to up their sports reporting, they saying that Chuckles ,Hooper and Beale all denying that Folau did any tackling by pulling the winger's hair!! Sure Chuckles wouldn't of said that, he not a liar is he?? That kind of reporting is how coaches etc get a bad name!

I heard Cheika say it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I heard Cheika say it.

Ok, perhaps he didn't see the replays or have a monitor in coaches box,which seems strange as he was able to point out what Esteben almost did, and the mistake that ref made that lead to the Boks drawing the game. Either that or .......

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Personally I am not advocating for Cooper. And the Foley vs Cooper thing has been done well and truly to death.

However, I don't think that makes Foley removed from balanced criticism. IMO hasn't been anything better than adequate at test level for a long time now. Possibly since the World Cup. I am surprised that some have nominated him in their MOM points. Maybe the stats will prove me wrong but I thought he missed upwards of half a dozen tackles. He kicked a penalty dead and put another kick out on the full. The kicking for line was given to someone else because his kicking game isn't good enough. On the one hand, I am happy Cheika has finally done that, but I do scratch my head as to how he is playing at this level without a decent boot. He also threw the last pass for three tries and his goal kicking was spot on - so he certainly had his good moments as well.

Slim made an interesting comment earlier that he couldn't fault individual players (or something like that). I actually thought the opposite from last nights game. I thought it was a game where some players were very good, but we were let down by a number of players who were either ineffectual or had too many sub par moments. For mine Foley was one of the later.

But I still agree he is the best we have at this point in time, which is really one of the saddest indictments on the current state of our game.

He was more than adequate last night, really. One shonky kick to the sideline (why does he still do these with Beale and Hodge about?) and some average defending is all you can really criticize about his game. Distribution was consistent, decision making on point, running game excellent as usual. His pinpoint pass to Marika was a thing of beauty. The criticisms of Foley are really verging on lunacy.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
He was more than adequate last night, really. One shonky kick to the sideline (why does he still do these with Beale and Hodge about?) and some average defending is all you can really criticize about his game. Distribution was consistent, decision making on point, running game excellent as usual. His pinpoint pass to Marika was a thing of beauty. The criticisms of Foley are really verging on lunacy.

No more lunacy than some of the unbridled support.
The reality lies somewhere in between.
The lunacy lies at both extremes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They need a backup especially when they travel to Europe for the EOYT.. Cant exactly just parachute someone in then.

If Foley goes down, who plays 5/8? Beale perhaps, might work if Karmichael is fit and can slot in at 12, but if he isn't then who? Hodge is the next closest thing the Wallabies have to a ball-player in the backline.

Losing To'omua to the NH was an absolute tragedy for this reason.

Cooper will be on the EOYT, IMO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well if it doesn't meet red card threshold he cannot be cited, so no probs!

I'm not so sure that he has no problem though. I'd have thought that grabbing someone by the hair would constitute a high tackle. As does grabbing someone by the collar and dragging or slinging them to the ground.

Both potential red card offences.

(e)​
Dangerous tackling. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.

Sanction: Penalty kick
A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or head is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick1 2 3
(a)​
Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes’ playing time, or sent-off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not so sure that he has no problem though. I'd have thought that grabbing someone by the hair would constitute a high tackle. As does grabbing someone by the collar and dragging or slinging them to the ground.

Both potential red card offences.

(e)
Dangerous tackling. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.

Sanction: Penalty kick
A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or head is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick1 2 3

(a)

Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes’ playing time, or sent-off.

In theory, yes. But lately, the only high tackles that seem to be deemed at red card level are those with forceful contact to the head.
So I would think it very unlikely that this would be deemed a red card offence.
But, with SAANZAR.........

Status
Not open for further replies.