• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies @ Osfontein 30/9/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thought Foley and Beale were excellent in attack and terrible in defence. Kicking out of hand so-so.

I thought Koroibete was man of the match. Consistently made strong tackles. Love his tackling technique. Provides more than Speight.

Dempsey was quiet though not as noticibly bad as Hanigan when he came on and flopped from ruck to ruck like a fish.

Front row was pretty solid. Replacement front row was ok. I can't help but think in a high octane end to end match Uelese should have been coming off the bench and early than 60 minutes. Oh well.

Rodda was fairly anonymous. Arnold looking more solidified as second choice through absence.

If TK makes it an extra metre we win. If Jantjies doesn't hook his kick they win. Great game!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Two issues Derpus. According to commentary at Spirit/City game, Arnold is on his way back to Aus to play NRC. Looks like he'll be a world beater by the end of TRC as he is omitted from all future tests. But on the subject, Richie Arnold is showing excellent form for the Spirit. It would be a sight to behold if they both packed down together at some time soon. On Kuridrani's run. It looked to me that Cronje didn't use arms in the tackle but simply threw himself horizontally in front of Tevita's legs as he ran for the line. If my eyes didn't deceive me, I thought there were grounds for a penalty try right there and the win to the Wallabies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just caught parts of Cheika's press conference on the news. While I'm generally a Cheika supporter, I don't think he did himself any favours with that performance.

Reactions: TSR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In theory, yes. But lately, the only high tackles that seem to be deemed at red card level are those with forceful contact to the head.
So I would think it very unlikely that this would be deemed a red card offence.
But, with SAANZAR...

That's right, the only certainty with SANZAAR is uncertainty.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Two issues Derpus. According to commentary at Spirit/City game, Arnold is on his way back to Aus to play NRC. Looks like he'll be a world beater by the end of TRC as he is omitted from all future tests. But on the subject, Richie Arnold is showing excellent form for the Spirit. It would be a sight to behold if they both packed down together at some time soon. On Kuridrani's run. It looked to me that Cronje didn't use arms in the tackle but simply threw himself horizontally in front of Tevita's legs as he ran for the line. If my eyes didn't deceive me, I thought there were grounds for a penalty try right there and the win to the Wallabies.

I think Cronje just slipped? would've been a harsh decision either way.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would put either Mack Mason or Jack McGregor in the wallabies squad at LEAST. Both performing very good in the NRC! We CLEARLY need depth and after that first half display, Foley would have been switched in any other team in the world at half time!
But the easy picks are either Jono lance or Quade..who's form despite what some seem to oddly think is not down..MOTM and played amazing for the second game in a row in the NRC! Absolutely lighting Brisbane City up on attack! And both Lance and Quade were far better defensively this year at super level!
It's not like Cheika Is afraid of trying debutants or blooding young new talent...in fact the opposite! Why not our playmaker?
I presume you’re joking

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whilst I don't agree 100% with KAOP he does highlight a number of things. I believe there is no upside with Foley, he just plods along and doesn't create much and still can't kick out of hand to save his life. But he is one of Cheik's golden boys so it's kind of pointless arguing QC (Quade Cooper) should get a go as it just won't happen.

As expected a fairly mediocre game by two mediocre teams... Glad I didn't make the weekend trip to Bloemfontein as it would have been a waste. Even all the boks fans I watched the game with last night were fairly subdued.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure if BJ has already posted this...

I don't know how they missed that one, especially with the AR right there - it was pretty obvious in real time that it went forward.
I saw that in real time and thought 'the fuck?'. How could both the ref and the AR not pull it up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whilst I don't agree 100% with KAOP he does highlight a number of things. I believe there is no upside with Foley, he just plods along and doesn't create much and still can't kick out of hand to save his life. But he is one of Cheik's golden boys so it's kind of pointless arguing QC (Quade Cooper) should get a go as it just won't happen.

As expected a fairly mediocre game by two mediocre teams. Glad I didn't make the weekend trip to Bloemfontein as it would have been a waste. Even all the boks fans I watched the game with last night were fairly subdued.
I’d like him to do the same for Folau.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

As expected a fairly mediocre game by two mediocre teams. Glad I didn't make the weekend trip to Bloemfontein as it would have been a waste. Even all the boks fans I watched the game with last night were fairly subdued.

Didn't create much? Plods? Did you see any of the tries? Specifically who threw the last pass to the try-scorer in each. Seriously, I like Quade, but there would have been a few posters creaming their jocks if he threw any of those. It was good play for a five-eighth. My point? This binary argument that only Quade can create, and any time a try is scored that Foley is involved in gives no credit to Foley is idiotic.
I agree his kicking from hand is too inconsistent, but his ability to attack the line and create from that is fine.
Plus, his last 16 goal kicks have been pretty good too.
Do we need some better depth? Of course we do. Quade is looking freer and better in his movement in NRC, but as Sully said, it's NRC, and anyone watching with a serious eye would concede it is not close to Test level, or even Super for that matter. The players say so as well. So, hopefully a fully fit Quade is imminent, and I expect will be on the EOYT.
Then we can hope Leali'ifano and some others will be pressing hard next year too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Foley is our best 10 by far. I have been very critical of his kicking, and I still feel that he should be given some time off the playing circuit to work full time on his kicking. Short term pain, for long term gain.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Foley is our best 10 by far. I have been very critical of his kicking, and I still feel that he should be given some time off the playing circuit to work full time on his kicking. Short term pain, for long term gain.
His line kicking from penalties is a mental issue and is inexcusable for a bloke of his experience but he’s all we got.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Foley criticism is mind blowing after this game. It was close to his best of the season with three try assists and perfect goal kicking.

Kicking the touch finder dead in goal is a costly mistake and his defence was average.

His clearance kicking was good and he made good distance on the few he did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you want to criticise Foley, there's really only one place: defence. Once or twice a season, he has a great game defensively (eg. 15 tackes 1 miss in Dunedin), but he's generally a liability. Excluding that one good showing, his tackle success rate this year has been 69% (68/99). For comparison, Quade Cooper has been tackling at 67% (44/66), Wharenui Hawera at 75% (147/196), and Jackson Garden-Bachop at 78% (108/138). But of those alternatives, all you have available to you is Cooper, and he isn't an improvement. Apart from that, he is rather dependent on his 12 for playmaking, and sometimes struggles to clear the ball.

That's the criticism. Beyond that, he's a damn good goalkicker (with the odd exception), a good backline leader, can combine well with any 9, has a good run and pass, superb decision making, and a steady hand. He's doubtlessly the best 10 we have available to us. That doesn't make him above criticism, but dropping him is unquestionably a bad idea.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Foley just isn't an exciting player, and he tends to be less erratic but that's not what gets me ticking. My feeling is the bar has always been set low for him as one of the golden boys, and some half hearted attempts were made with him and QC (Quade Cooper) on the field at the same time, but that was always temporary until the other golden child returned from the UK...

I'm just not that excited about the way the wobs play these days and I don't really see it changing much in the future. That's my own personal impression anyway...

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
To me, there is still a wonderful opportunity for a good young backrower to step up a grab that 6 jersey

And 8? I know it’s been said for years, but surely there’s a bullocking yet athletic 8 out there somewhere in clubland/NRC’sville?!!? Nasaraini is a year or so away? [Note: I’ve never seen him play]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.