• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Ha
Hodge isn’t a bad pick when you have a pretty shit back 3 for kick returns. Vuni & Koroibete is an interesting combination.

Pretty exciting for Moodie too, he’s only 20 years old. Balances out the small little speedster a bit too.
Marika actually has a decent boot on him. Not sure about his tactical kicking nous though

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think the Hodge selection has less to do with tactics and more the combination of Kerevi being a little undercooked and Eddie testing whether Hodge is actually a viable option at 12 (in the case Kerevi is unavailable)

I have a feeling that Hodge must be the best trainer on the planet because he keeps getting chances that his form on the field doesn’t warrant.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I think it's Porecki. I expect him to be the starter pretty consistently this season.

I agree completely that he's not a top tier player though in a position that has become essentially an elite 'skill' position.
I think we are in big trouble if Dave Porecki is the best we have at hooker

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we are in big trouble if Dave Porecki is the best we have at hooker

He was last year and it would seem to me he's most likely to be our starting hooker this season too. It's pretty unsurprising he's starting the first test of the year.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He was last year and it would seem to me he's most likely to be our starting hooker this season too. It's pretty unsurprising he's starting the first test of the year.
Yes and he was maligned for his mostly poor play for the Wallabies last year

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the Hodge selection has less to do with tactics and more the combination of Kerevi being a little undercooked and Eddie testing whether Hodge is actually a viable option at 12 (in the case Kerevi is unavailable)

I have a feeling that Hodge must be the best trainer on the planet because he keeps getting chances that his form on the field doesn’t warrant.
He keeps getting selected every year, it is like every wallaby coach sees value in him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes and he was maligned for his mostly poor play for the Wallabies last year

Really? I'd say he was mostly solid. He was voted MOTM in the first English test which put him equal 7th on the GAGR Player of the Year.

I am in no way arguing he is an outstanding player and hooker is clearly a position of weakness for the Wallabies.

I am arguing that it is in no way surprising that he is starting the first test of the year and think it is very likely he is our first choice hooker this year. That says as much about the other options as it does about him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On the hooker choice, I think of the bear chasing you meme "I don't have to be fast...I just have to be faster than you"

We have no world class options, the are all average, so we pick the "least worst" who can do a job.

Whoever is picked will be moaned about because none of them are that good

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie has mentioned Reece being useful at altitude so ya know, his boot is getting him selected.

Also gives the vibe that Carter will get a sold bit off the bench not just a 3 minute cameo.

If Cooper, Hodge & White come off, who's kicking for sticks?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Eddie has mentioned Reece being useful at altitude so ya know, his boot is getting him selected.

Also gives the vibe that Carter will get a sold bit off the bench not just a 3 minute cameo.

If Cooper, Hodge & White come off, who's kicking for sticks?
At that point Gordon, I know he doesn't usually kick for the Rebels but he'd have to be the option there (and potentially before White for close range shots).