• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At that point Gordon, I know he doesn't usually kick for the Rebels but he'd have to be the option there (and potentially before White for close range shots).
Surely if you are serious about seeing what Gordon can do you have to give him 20 minutes at least. Quade has also played bugger all footy leading into this so 60 might feel about right all going well to get the confidence up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wasn’t it Jones who said he is a big fan of giving guys on debut a couple of minutes at the end if possible, rather than 20 minutes. The rationale was to get the debut out of the way with as little risk as possible so that next time it was less of a distraction.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I guess that does make some sense but were testing a guy right before a RWC. If it was next year then sure, we have 40 Tests to prepare them before the next tournament.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I think we are in big trouble if Dave Porecki is the best we have at hooker
There doesn't seem to be a better option. He's like the Ned Hanigan of hookers. Unfortunately Australia doesn't have a hooker with size, impact, a gas tank, brains, and straight throwing. Porecki has 3 of 5 at least. Everyone else is closer to 2.5.

It is what it is. Porecki, Faing'aa, Latu, Uelese, BPA (injured): there is no A level international hookr from Australia.

At least Porecki does the least to impede his teammates by throwing accurately and being disciplined.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
It wasnt poor play it was just average, no one has come through to demand his spot. Eddie has had to pluck Jordy from about 6 back just so we have enough size.
Porecki was like a consistent 6/10. The rest of the hookers were sometimes a 8/10, sometimes a 3/10. Porecki is what he is. Reality is that Australia has zero world clas hookers. Not the fault of the current #2s that that's the case.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess from my position I thought Porecki was more of a consistent 4 out of 10 and his throwing wasn’t as reliable as I hoped, plus I thought his discipline was bit average from my memory. I thought he benefitted from Fainga’a’s horrid form taking the spotlight off him. Others obviously thought he did better.

I agree with the sentiment though that there is no clearly better player. I am personally surprised Uelese is even in the squad based on his throwing. I thought maybe it was worth giving Faessler a crack but I don’t think on form he clearly a step up. With all the other rookies, and given it is the Boks in SA starting Porecki is probably the logical choice.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
There doesn't seem to be a better option. He's like the Ned Hanigan of hookers. Unfortunately Australia doesn't have a hooker with size, impact, a gas tank, brains, and straight throwing. Porecki has 3 of 5 at least. Everyone else is closer to 2.5.

It is what it is. Porecki, Faing'aa, Latu, Uelese, BPA (injured): there is no A level international hookr from Australia.

At least Porecki does the least to impede his teammates by throwing accurately and being disciplined.
Honestly, I think Lonergan has 4 out of those 5 criteria

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hodge isn’t a bad pick when you have a pretty shit back 3 for kick returns. Vuni & Koroibete is an interesting combination.

Pretty exciting for Moodie too, he’s only 20 years old. Balances out the small little speedster a bit too.
pretty sure that koro might achieve a low earth orbit with his kick return speed. they don't call it playing at altitude for no reason!

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Genuine question, is there a reason as to why nobody posts on threads about matches the day of the match? I've seen it a handful of times with super rugby games as well.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)

What about Faleti Kaitu'u from the Force. Although he didn't play much during Super 23, he's already capped for the Wallabies. Left field but that's what Eddie likes.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think everyone hoped he would kick on but he’s done nothing the last 2 years. Horton was brought in as a 3rd and ended up being picked ahead of him.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interested to see who's still up when the games on. 11pm in Perth so not too bad. Hopefully have the kids down by then :D

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interested to see who's still up when the games on. 11pm in Perth so not too bad. Hopefully have the kids down by then :D
I'll be up and watching

Too much sport on tonight... is never enough!

(well, it probably is, but I like to overrate my eyeballs' staying power)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What about Faleti Kaitu'u from the Force. Although he didn't play much during Super 23, he's already capped for the Wallabies. Left field but that's what Eddie likes.
Would like to see Feleti pushing again for that next level.

Unfortunately seems to have faded a bit from contention.

Does have the raw attributes but, like most of our hookers in this country, struggles to put together all five requirements mentioned above at the same time.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would like to see Feleti pushing again for that next level.

Unfortunately seems to have faded a bit from contention.

Does have the raw attributes but, like most of our hookers in this country, struggles to put together all five requirements mentioned above at the same time.
was a good runner with ball in hand. Occassionally crooked throw but you can work on that. Hope he can re-estbalish himself as a contender, even if only for the Force.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No chance I’m staying up for this. 7am on replay wake up the house with my verbal abuse of Ben O’Keefe.

Unfortunate that we’ll probably lose headingley tonight too.