• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
When a twenty point thumping feels like a loss.

I rarely listen to post-match interviews, but made an exception this week and I thought De Villiers summed things up very well he said that he can't believe he is disappointed with beating the aussies by that margin. The record book will show that South Africa one the game by twenty clear points, those who recall the match in isolation will say that it was a non-contest almost from the kick-off and yet somehow the result is disappointing. In the context of the rugby championship the failure to secure the bonus point is a real gut shot.

South Africa started the game "positively", they ran wider from deeper than we are used to seeing and it worked a treat. The wallabies made some mistakes with discipline and with poor kicks, but the real reason for the early blow-out was their inability to deal with the pressure being applied. The Kirchner try illustrated the idea of applying pressure very well I thought. On receiving the kick-off they set up a nice little maul to get onto the front foot and then spread the ball in such a manner that Tomane was forced to make difficult decision in defence, a decision he got wrong and seconds later Kirchner dotted down under the posts.

Sadly, confusingly or annoyingly South Africa moved away from what was working soon after. I see some people on the internet are saying that the Springboks went back into their shells and stopped taking risks. I don't think that is the case, rather they were taking the wrong risks. On a number of occasions I thought we had guys attempting low percentage kicks for territory which either conceded possession or simply went straight out on the full when running the ball would have made more sense.

With the exception of Du Preez, most of the players were workmanlike rather than good. Even Du Preez was only good compared to other scrumhalfs, I still think he has two or three levels in reserve.

Where does this game leave the wallabies? I am not going to patronize the Wallabies and say they played well, but I have seen them play a lot worse over the course of the season. In the end the game reminded me of that comic book fight where you have a big kid holding off a little kid while the little kid flails about hopelessly.

While on the subject of flailing about, the teams really don't seem to like each other at all. There is nothing specific, but the game had an underlying nastiness which has strange to see.

While on the subject, I don't care what Van der Merwe's intention was or what the judicial commission finds, I just hope he gets the boot. No matter how well he plays, and he was good in the opening stanza, he is always good for a couple of braindead penalties or actions like this weekend that sees him undo all the good that he is doing. Penalties, even yellow cards, will always happen, but unforced penalties invites unnecessary pressure onto the team which cancels out tons of good work.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
@gel - here is a later screencap. Unfortunately this one is even blurrier.

<removed, no need for the image again>

Strauss already has the ball at this point in time and Cooper has run between him and Louw going for the intercept.

Beast is still being marked by Horwill and Alexander is still marking Louw.

Leali'ifano is now in shot and is marking Steyn. I disagree that it was such an impossibility that the ball could get to Steyn and co. that Leali'ifano should have been running infields towards the forwards in cover. Fourie du Preez could have easily cut out all three decoy runners and passed to Steyn as first receiver.

Any player in Cooper's situation has to make an attempt to tackle Strauss. There just isn't any other option.

I don't see how any other player can be blamed for that defensive error other than Cooper. Our players have to mark their own player and trust in the other defenders. If Louw had received the ball and Alexander hadn't made the tackle then that has nothing to do with Cooper. Strauss was Cooper's man and he had to stay on him.

I agree that Cooper had to try to tackle Strauss, although I think that Louw's overs line would've quite easily have gotten him around Alexander. Cooper should have stayed on Strauss as his man. I would hope that in the match review that is shown to Cooper his mistake.

Having said that, a hooker vs a 10 is a plain mismatch a few metres from your own tryline. You have to credit that Bok forwards for creating that mismatch, and equally wonder why/how our forwards allowed that to happen.

Reactions: BPC

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And, agree that as Alexander had missed his man (Louw), it was likely a Boks try even if Cooper had made his tackle as Strauss had Louw in support on an isolated Cooper. But that's all hypothetical, and it goes down as a mistake for Cooper.

Which for me is a shame as it blemishes an otherwise good game from Cooper, one missed bomb aside as well. (I don't subscribe to his kick-offs being poor, they looked like a plan to me with fast backs chasing high kicks to about the 22m.)

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
*edit* I know that Ben Alexander is not going to do anything here because his arms are by his sides and not flailing about and his mouth is shut and not whinging at the referee. These are the only things he does other than eating grass, so he is quite clearly not involved in this part of the game.

Classic :D

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
An error on Cooper's part but really, the defence needs to improve across the board and right now I would call it the biggest issue.
I agree, too often for example are our tight forwards defending out wide, which allowed the boks to run at them and beat them for speed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know why the @ button isn't working when you are trying to tag someone in a post?

See below post for @blue example

Seems to be something that has happened in the last 24-48 hours.

@moses - whazzup?

I undestand @whatty betterer than you, @Blue ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Tapatalk upgrade borked it somehow, I thought.
Unfortunately, I am an idiot, and cannot fix things.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When a twenty point thumping feels like a loss.

I rarely listen to post-match interviews, but made an exception this week and I thought De Villiers summed things up very well he said that he can't believe he is disappointed with beating the aussies by that margin. The record book will show that South Africa one the game by twenty clear points, those who recall the match in isolation will say that it was a non-contest almost from the kick-off and yet somehow the result is disappointing. In the context of the rugby championship the failure to secure the bonus point is a real gut shot.

yes, you poor saffas, I too feel your heartbreak and loss at only beating us by 20. Such a shame.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Its a Rugby forum not the ffing Magna Carta.
Bro...

Yea agree re flip. Easy and potentially better replacements abound.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Elbows are friggin elbows - the use of them is abhorant to me.

A lot of this discussion makes excuses - that is bullshit.

Hoopers tackle was a bit reckless but ABSOLUTELY no intention there.
How was his tackle wreckless? I don't get it. The guy tackled etzy around the legs he jumped. It's etzy didn't jump there would be no problem. I understand u don't think it's deceived a card but even a bit wreckless isn't right to me.

hughbert

Herbert Moran (7)
The frog from the weekend is not the only international ref that has become a bit keen to reach for the pocket. The reasonable thing to do after reviewing the Hooper tackle would have been to talk to the two players, conclude that the event was the consequence of a bunch of circumstances beyond any one player's control and get on with the game.

I understand that the IRB wants to reduce head, neck and back (ie life changing) injuries and perhaps just as importantly the individual unions want to avoid litigation for the same, but sending Hooper from the field does nothing to further the perceived disincentive to tackle dangerously, since he quite clearly carried neither intent nor recklessness.

The question really is - what can Hooper do to avoid that situation in the future - and the only reasonable answer is "nothing", which is why the card was stupid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
And yet the screenshots from just half a second later than yours show that Alexander and Horwill are no longer marking up the beast and louw. They do not come across in defensive formation. This is their problem to address in future.

Also the play is quite clearly not going wide, LILO (and even Kuridrani) should be able to see that. It is evidenced by the formation of the forward pods here - the three of them are setting up to drive over the line. It is the only play that they are setup for in any of that replay.

No one helps in defence here. The defensive structure on display in this play is laughable at best.

It is a very poor defensive effort by everyone from the ruck outwards.

I agree he went for a low percentage play with the intercept. But the tackle option was even lower I reckon. A try was going to be scored for certain if he went for the tackle - whereas there was a small chance of an intercept and a try saved.

*edit* @braveheart sorry forgot to quote your post.
You can take as many screenshots you like. No way you can stop White Gorilla from that distance. Excellent pass from FdP setting this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.