• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^not as much as me. White Gorilla is a good'un for Strauss.

Rex Hunt (3AW AFL caller) would be proud.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Even though Quade had no chance of stopping that try in anyway what he did have a chance to do was put his body on the line and show some integrity in the moment. Going for the interecept looked like one of the biggest cop outs i've seen on defence for a long time. To be fair to him though he did put himself in harms way a lot better afterwards

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of my biggest frustrations with this game were how several scrums were allowed to continue (or end as the case was) after the ball had come straight back out the same tunnel.

I'm happy for the referee to stand on the tight head side, but if that's the case, the assistant referee has to be in charge of calling it up if the ball comes straight back out the side of the scrum.

Reactions: BPC

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
One of my biggest frustrations with this game were how several scrums were allowed to continue (or end as the case was) after the ball had come straight back out the same tunnel.
I also noticed that and there was one incident where the ball was under the Aus flankers foot and FDP started a wrestling match for the ball.

On the positive side it means that the new scrum engagement laws have brought the contest back to scrumming. Moore was not able to hook for the ball because he was under such pressure. Now we just need to tighten up on putting the ball in straight and we will have a contest again and not a restart. Tightheads make for a brilliant game of rugby.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yep and if the supporters give it to him fair enough, I strongly dislike Honey Badger name that Cummins uses because I think it strongly whankerish to give yourself a nic!!
Don't fuck with the honey badger. How r u so sure he didn't get the nic name from someone when he was young? Just wondering. But seriously. Don't fuck with the badger. ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep and if the supporters give it to him fair enough, I strongly dislike Honey Badger name that Cummins uses because I think it strongly whankerish to give yourself a nic!!

Agreed.

Shiggins - he got it off a YouTube video that went viral years before he got around to it.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Agreed.

Shiggins - he got it off a YouTube video that went viral years before he got around to it.
Yeh it said that on wiki as well. It's a joke though. The guy enjoys being the class clown. He likes making people laugh. It's not like he called himself superman,shark, bull, croc. That would be vein but honey badger is a laugh. I think you guys are taking it the wrong way but that's normal, a lot comedians jokes are taken the wrong way by some people.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Even though Quade had no chance of stopping that try in anyway what he did have a chance to do was put his body on the line and show some integrity in the moment. Going for the interecept looked like one of the biggest cop outs i've seen on defence for a long time. To be fair to him though he did put himself in harms way a lot better afterwards
This from Scott Allen. It's pretty much what I thought at the time and was confirmed when I watched again and again in slow motion.
The first Springbok try
There’s been a lot of comment online and on social media regarding Cooper’s missed tackle on Adriaan Strauss that led to the Springboks’ first try.
It’s always interesting to see how people can have such different perspectives on what happened.
The first issue with this try was that the Wallaby forwards didn’t realign correctly and the Springboks had three forwards running on to the ball just metres out from the try line, Tendai Mtawarira, Francois Louw and Strauss.
Ben Alexander lined up on Mtawarira but that left Cooper with two forwards to defend, as you can see in the freeze frame image below.
Image-1.jpg

In the image, the ball has just passed across Mtawarira but Louw and Strauss are both live options to receive the ball – Cooper had to make a split-second decision who would receive the ball before trying to make the tackle on that player.
No matter who the Wallaby flyhalf chose, the forwards should never leave him in this situation; having to defend multiple forward runners anywhere on the field, but particularly right on the tryline.
If Alexander had pushed up and across earlier he may have been able to cover Louw but, as you can see from the image below, Alexander stayed back near the line and didn’t push across, leaving Cooper to deal with both Louw and Strauss.
The second issue is that the other Wallabies in the defensive line took one step off the try line and stopped, as you can see in the following image:
Image-2.jpg

The broken defensive line wasn’t caused by Cooper rushing out of the line – it was caused by the rest of the line not moving forward with him.
You’re never going to stop a try by staying back near the line as occurred here. In both of the next two images you can see Strauss is already powering to the line, with the other Wallabies a metre at most off the try line.
The whole defensive line needed to meet the attacking line, where Cooper did to have any chance.
Image-3.jpg

The third issue was Cooper guessing incorrectly which Springbok would get the ball. Contrary to what some claim, Cooper didn’t go for an intercept.
Instead, he guessed Louw on the inside would receive the ball and he tackled him, as you can see in the image below.
Image-4.jpg

Of course Strauss received the ball on the outside and Cooper had tackled the wrong player, although I’d always encourage a defender to take the inside man.
Better to take someone than come up completely empty or stay back near the line.
The miss was certainly Cooper’s and according to some, Matt To'omua or Bernard Foley would probably have made that tackle on Strauss!
In reality, this try was as a result of the failure of all elements of the Wallabies’ defensive line rather than being Cooper’s fault alone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This from Scott Allen. It's pretty much what I thought at the time and was confirmed when I watched again and again in slow motion.
That's a fairly good analysis of it.
I think it points again to the inability of the Wallabies to think on the run and realign. This applies to their attack as much as to their defence. They look confused to me and the blame can't be wholly put on McKenzie. There's a long road back from where we are.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is his nickname seriously "White Gorilla" and if so, is it acceptable to use it?

Slightly OT: one of the best loose forwards to play for the ABs was Waka Nathan aka the Black Panther. Nathan was a Maori AB also and renowned for his fearless play at the breakdown but also his ball skills. His nickname came up earlier this year on discussion boards asking the very question, would his nickname be acceptable now? If he was pakeha I doubt he would be called the black panther despite that being a real phrase to describe an animal.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Slightly OT: one of the best loose forwards to play for the ABs was Waka Nathan aka the Black Panther. Nathan was a Maori AB also and renowned for his fearless play at the breakdown but also his ball skills. His nickname came up earlier this year on discussion boards asking the very question, would his nickname be acceptable now? If he was pakeha I doubt he would be called the black panther despite that being a real phrase to describe an animal...

To go even further OT, several reasonably prominent US sports journalists will no longer refer to the Washington Redskins by their nickname because they feel uncomfortable using what is now considered a racist term.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Y doesn't every team attack the scrum half mid line out then ?

I already answered this above, but here it is in graphic display:

Note how on this occasion Horwill catches the ball, so the lineout isn't over and the Bok running out of the lineout is therefore offside. Although the ball does pop out earlier than Horwill would have wanted, he still brings it down and Louw moves up before the lineout ends and is offside.

The other time Horwill knocked it down and so the halfback is fair game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have not seen the game yet and am interested - take away the first 15 minutes and its a very close game?

I found this stat intriging
Possession 50 / 50
SA. tackles 87
Aust. tackles 164
Double the tackles but we had equal ball - interesting stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.