• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Given how much our lineout has struggled, I'm happy to see we've decided to put some focus on it, as well as some focus on continuity. I'll be happy to see the same starting 15 bar the necessary change for Pocock.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Haha
Maybe Chek should listen to some of those armchair selectors - probably wouldn't hurt his win/loss ratios:):)

How would this be organised? A public poll? How would we stop resident New Zealanders sabotaging the result.

A few details would help.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Haha
Maybe Chek should listen to some of those armchair selectors - probably wouldn't hurt his win/loss ratios:):)

Things go in cycles mate, was barely a year ago that we were in the world cup final primarily because of Cheika. He's earnt some rope to blood new players in the first year of a four year journey to the next one. How many new debuts this year? with more to come. Just relax. Worry if its been two years and the new team is still trying to find its style and gel.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the main problem I see with this team selection is that Sio is still starting, even though he is obviously carrying an injury. Slipper has been good every time he has come on, so I really don't see why we need to keep playing Sio and no doubt causing further damage.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I had the same initial thoughts Chiraag, but I assume that Sio & Medical staff are confident that he is right to play (although it wouldn't be the first time a player has continued with an injury when they should have stopped).

If he is fit to play, I don't think there is really a big difference in who starts. If Slipper is indeed still on the bench then he will still play significant minutes and will expected to lift the work rate during his time on the field.

If there was one change I would like to see, that would be it, but I don't think it would necessarily make as big a difference as we would like to think.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika could also be looking at Slipper being a senior member of the team and an important part of providing impact and leadership in the last half an hour.

Considering the other replacement prop is a novice it provides good balance to that finishing front row.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It's just wishful thinking (being number 2) but with the team selected and the dynamics I can't see it happening.

Maybe I set my wishes way too high but that's me and the way I was raised.

I think in the current environment, mediocrity is the best I can hope for.

I don't think no 2 is wishful thinking. We were pretty unlucky against England and if Foleys goal kicking was as good in that series as it has been in TRC then we would have won a couple of games. This forum would then have a whole different slant.
I'm looking forward to the return match at the end of the year.
I reckon we have the cattle to be no 2 in the world, especially if Cheiks would just listen to my advice and tweak the selections a little :)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Cheika could also be looking at Slipper being a senior member of the team and an important part of providing impact and leadership in the last half an hour.

Considering the other replacement prop is a novice it provides good balance to that finishing front row.

That would make sense if there was a better starting option but at the moment there isn't. I'd rather his impact and leadership in the first 50-60mins than the last 20-30.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Things go in cycles mate, was barely a year ago that we were in the world cup final primarily because of Cheika. He's earnt some rope to blood new players in the first year of a four year journey to the next one. How many new debuts this year? with more to come. Just relax. Worry if its been two years and the new team is still trying to find its style and gel.

I fear we will still be looking to resolve a few spots as current players show they are well beyond their use-by date. Maybe Moore (and TPN), Fardy, Mumm and Kuridrani. Hopefully, Simmons. Will be exacerbated if Cheika continues to rely on o/s based players like Giteau, Mitchell et al.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
How would this be organised? A public poll? How would we stop resident New Zealanders sabotaging the result.

A few details would help.

First you would submit an application online with certified birth certificate and full family tree. Anyone born across the ditch or with more than one Kiwi grandparent is excluded.

After that a quick phone interview will follow, in which you will be asked to sing Advance Australia Fair with your tester paying special attention to your accent for any sign of mangled vowels. If you pass that, you may now vote and collectively we will show Cheika where he's going wrong in his selections.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the main problem I see with this team selection is that Sio is still starting, even though he is obviously carrying an injury. Slipper has been good every time he has come on, so I really don't see why we need to keep playing Sio and no doubt causing further damage.

Yep, Slipper should start with Ala'alatoa on the bench. Sio to rest until the EOYT or next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

If the novice you refer to is Allan Ala'alatoa, then imo he has been the equal of, and perhaps better than, Scott Sio in the tests he has played. I see no risk at all in having AA on the bench as reserve LHP with Robertson covering THP.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yep, Slipper should start with Ala'alatoa on the bench. Sio to rest until the EOYT or next year.

Cannot imagine Sio is playing whilst injured. If he is not injured his form is terrible (no carries in the last 2 games). He needs to turn it around bigtime, otherwise Alan A might even take the Brumby spot.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Always possible, but Scott has been a terrific ball carrier all through his career. His drop in form must be caused by some external reason, like injury imo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the novice you refer to is Allan Ala'alatoa, then imo he has been the equal of, and perhaps better than, Scott Sio in the tests he has played. I see no risk at all in having AA on the bench as reserve LHP with Robertson covering THP.

It was either Robertson or Ala'alatoa. They are both novices at test level.

Your option is certainly viable but I was looking specifically for a reason why Slipper is remaining on the bench. If Sio was left out and Slipper started it would certainly be a very inexperienced combination having Ala'alatoa and Robertson finish the match.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I see a lot of advantages having experienced players helping close out games.

Of course, that is not always possible or practical - but lack of experience/composure at the death can be very influential in a close game.

I am not saying a change would be a bad thing in this case, all I am saying is sticking with consistancy can be explained rationally.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Haha
Would it be a conflict of interest if I retained my armchair Wallabies coaching consultant position and was on the armchair selection committee?

All good though. I am willing to take time out from advising the ARU in how to fix the game!.

Status
Not open for further replies.