• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Timani COULD be a test 8, he just needs a clip over the ear to lift his game where it's currently deficient. He's got the shape, size and speed for the job, more than any other Oz backrower ATM. But, if Holloway plays a bit tighter next year he'd be a monte for the 8 jumper in 2017 and beyond.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm very cautious about anointing any potential 8 as a lock-in, despite Super Rugby form. Really, since Toutai Kefu, we have been a bit "let down" on many occasions when enthusiasm is tempered by the lack of anyone really grabbing the position by the scruff. Plenty have looked promising - Higginbotham, McCalman, Mowen, Palu (probably the closest, far too many injuries), Houston, Samo, etc......... I see Holloway a little in this mould - does a lot of good stuff at Super level, benefits from running in slightly wider channels from a stats viewpoint (but so does Read, it is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what others are doing), but as yet unproven. I hope he kicks on. I hope others do too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm out at the Rays game this weekend with some visiting Kiwis, so the rest of you better show up so we can put on a decent day.

Change of plans - no longer able to get to the game. Try to contain your disappointment.

Go Wallabies!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think many of our recent #8 candidates have suffered from bad game plans for their style of play. Ie picked on form then being asked to play a completely different style.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think many of our recent #8 candidates have suffered from bad game plans for their style of play. Ie picked on form then being asked to play a completely different style.

That's one of those things that challenges the theory of "choose the best players at each position". You can only do that if the coavh is dextrous enough to adjust strategy and game plan to what he ends up with.

Otherwise you choose a strategy and select the best players to fit that.

Cheika seems to sit somewhere between.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm very cautious about anointing any potential 8 as a lock-in, despite Super Rugby form. Really, since Toutai Kefu, we have been a bit "let down" on many occasions when enthusiasm is tempered by the lack of anyone really grabbing the position by the scruff. Plenty have looked promising - Higginbotham, McCalman, Mowen, Palu (probably the closest, far too many injuries), Houston, Samo, etc... I see Holloway a little in this mould - does a lot of good stuff at Super level, benefits from running in slightly wider channels from a stats viewpoint (but so does Read, it is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what others are doing), but as yet unproven. I hope he kicks on. I hope others do too.

Well said. The recent history of Australian 8s in a nutshell.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thats pretty harsh judgement on Timani. He has played a lot of his rugby at 8 before being thrown into the second row at the Rebels. It was a bad move for him and we may have seen him in gold much earlier had that not been the case. He actually has pretty good hands and a much better offload game than McCalman, McMahon or Pocock. His ability to take the ball forward is excellent as is defense. His issue is consistency and being able to put together a full 60-80 minutes. Take a look at his highlight reel on YT.
We need forwards that offer more than a good set piece and decent defense. These things remain non negotiable in the modern game but all test forwards need to bring more than that to the table to be competitive with the best.
He brings something more.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thats pretty harsh judgement on Timani. He has played a lot of his rugby at 8 before being thrown into the second row at the Rebels. It was a bad move for him and we may have seen him in gold much earlier had that not been the case. He actually has pretty good hands and a much better offload game than McCalman, McMahon or Pocock. His ability to take the ball forward is excellent as is defense. His issue is consistency and being able to put together a full 60-80 minutes. Take a look at his highlight reel on YT.
We need forwards that offer more than a good set piece and decent defense. These things remain non negotiable in the modern game but all test forwards need to bring more than that to the table to be competitive with the best.
He brings something more.

What more does he demonstrably bring? I hear a lot about potential, but so far, I don't see the game that shouts "I am the one".

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
14 games as a substitute for the Tahs in 2012. 1 start and 4 as a substitute in 2013.

Cliffy Palu, Dave Dennis and Jed Holloway all both Started, and played 8 ahead of him in both seasons.

Moving him to lock simplified his game, and that's allowed him to excel, not having to worry about wide defence and handling the ball at the back of the scrum.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Google can be your ally. Let the search wash over you.
I'm having beers with mates. I came to see he thread with the time. Wasn't there. Then thought it would be quicker to ask and wait for a notification. Thanks mate.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZL v ARG is on Fox 2 live from 9:00 am Sydney Daylight Savings time.

Add whatever adjustment you need to make to that.

Meanwhile who will be up tonight at 1am to watch history being made?

Status
Not open for further replies.