• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wasn't the greatest game of test match rugby, but no doubt that the Springboks deserved to win it.

Those criticising the referee are way off the mark - I thought Barnes had a good game, as he consistently does.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon Folau is carrying an injury.
I don't.

The tahs have been pushing him into the 13 jersey so he's been training there for a while.

Then it comes to test matches against the two (traditionally) strongest teams in the world and we tell him to now play fullback again. He's not a natural union player like the kiwis or saffas are, so he is going to find it difficult to adjust again.

There's too much of "well, we just *have* to have this guy in the team somewhere, so just make room for him by moving people around to make do".

These guys are not being allowed to play on their instincts because they are all playing out of position. Either the ARU needs to grow a set and force the franchisees to play their wallabies in the positions the ARU want them in, or we continue to have disjointed play as guys are constantly having to think their way through the whole game.

There are some games where we are close to standard positional play, and then we immediately switch back to a hodge podge again in order to cram together the collection of stars. There's very little consistency and that leads to retarded stuff like players over running ball carriers and not backing up in rucks etc etc.

That's what I think, anyway.

G

galumay

Strange game again between these two sides, I thought, and said at the time, the decision by Moore to go for the posts when the penalty was 60m out in the first half, was the turning point for me.

Shows again why he shouldnt be captain, it was a low percentage play, conceded the dominance the Wallabies had been showing, sent a message about their lack of confidence and then resulted in a 6 point turn around when the Boks slotted one at the other end.

I also couldnt understand why Hodge was given the 45m kicks, at altitude they were well within Foley's range IMO, all up that alone was 9 points let on the field and 3 given to the Boks.

Bok's were once again absolutely impotent in attack, never really looked like crossing the try line. Defence was good for sure, but the Wallabies helped them with being too inaccurate again. Wallabies just seemed to lack that finishng touch for the build up.

A game the Wallabies could have, and should have won. Overall I am not sure there is any real improvement, if you cant put away a team playing as poorly as SA are, then it really begs the question. I guess the real test of whether there is meaningful progress will be the final game against the AB's.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look. Barnse let go a couple of blatant penalty that to me were yellow cards. Izzy got carded and then the boks did the exact same thing and got away with it. Even if that made the difference for us we didn't deserve to win but to be honest neither team deserved to win.

At least we scored a try and we're on the try line multiple times (Strauss just pulled the ball out of the ruck a couple of times )

We just lacked finishing big time. It was a very poor game

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Izzy and Quade do not gel. Foley understands how Izzy plays as does KB (Kurtley Beale). Cooper is not able to bring him into the game at the right time and/or Izzy cannot see the opportunities right now with QC (Quade Cooper).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Izzy and Quade do not gel. Foley understands how Izzy plays as does KB (Kurtley Beale). Cooper is not able to bring him into the game at the right time and/or Izzy cannot see the opportunities right now with QC (Quade Cooper).

That's a coaching/strategy issue.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't.

The tahs have been pushing him into the 13 jersey so he's been training their for a while.

Then it comes to test matches against the two (traditionally) strongest teams in the world and we tell him to now play fullback again. He's not a natural union player like the kiwis or saffas are, so he is going to find it difficult to adjust again.

There's too much of "well, we just *have* to have this guy in the team somewhere, so just make room for him by moving people around to make do".

These guys are not being allowed to play on their instincts because they are all playing out of position. Either the ARU needs to grow a set and force the franchisees to play their wallabies in the positions the ARU want them in, or we continue to have disjointed play as guys are constantly having to think their way through the whole game.

There are some games where we are close to standard positional play, and then we immediately switch back to a hodge podge again in order to cram together the collection of stars. There's very little consistency and that leads to retarded stuff like players over running ball carriers and not backing up in rucks etc etc.

To save face, I'm gonna change tune and say he's probably exhausted.

Still good points though gel

Reactions: gel

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My view after a first (and only viewing):-

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy/Mumm
7. Hooper
8. Timani
9 Genia
10. Cooper
12. Kerevi
13. Folau
11. Hodge
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Robertson
19. Coleman/Skelton
20. McMahon -
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Kurindrani

The personnel hasn't changed much but the structure has.

Something a bit radical - Neville @ 6?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't.

The tahs have been pushing him into the 13 jersey so he's been training their for a while.

He's just played 12 out of his last 15 games at 15 though and over 40 there for the Wallabies - I find it pretty hard to believe that he needs to "adjust" back to the position at this stage of the season.

He's also played nearly 2000 minutes this year though, and didn't have a decent offseason because of the ankle surgery. Like others (Hooper, Foley), he needs a rest - but we can't give it to him

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder where the Bok's supporters who didn't want Morne Steyn picked are at the moment?;)

c0460a6c205f24ab459ecf9a4fd077e0.jpg

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Glad I didn't stay up for that! The stay away from technology till the 8am replay was a far better option!

In summary - a game we should have won but didn't. Again. Execution let us down. Again.

As much as BR won't like this, if McMahon isn't fit mccalman needs to be flown over to play 8 v the argies.

:mad::mad::mad::(

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Same shit, different day.

Win possession and territory, do okay on attack and defence, fuck up kicking, discipline and strategy (gee where have I heard that last one before?) and lose

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am one of the few who thought it wasn't such a poor game. I thought the Wallabies were the better side but just couldn't cross the line when they had opportunities. Still some issues to be resolved, though.

The lineout was again dominated by the Saffas despite having both Simmons and Mumm in the side. The two of them are just not effective enough around the ground to support their continued selection, but sadly I am resigned to them being there again next week. One particular instance exemplified their usual contributions. Both went into a tackle on a Saffa forward and both fell straight over and were left lying on the ground having effectively done nothing.

I still do not like Foley at 12. Kerevi was playing very good, excellent defense and made quite a few line breaks or bent the line, before he was replaced (why he was pulled at 53 minutes left me dumbfounded). Kuridrani, likewise, was very good when he came on. I'd like to see the Kerevi/Kuridrani centre partnership rekindled and given some time to develop. Naivalu had little opportunity in this game but probably did enough to think he could go well on the wing. Foley and Hodge to the bench.

I have long supported Folau at 15, but maybe it's time to try a swap with DHP.

No 8 next week will be a query if McMahon is injured. I would prefer to try Timani to see if he can make his presence felt. I see no justification at all for bringing another largely ineffectual player like Ben McCalman into the side. None of Mumm, Simmons nor McCalman have ever been dominant in contact and are a large part of the reason the Wallabies struggle to exert pressure through the forwards. Perhaps Jordy Reid or Dempsey on the bench and use Hooper at 8 if there is a need to replace Timani during the game. Hooper plays as an 8 anyway; McMahon was the no 7 in general play last night causing problems at the breakdown.

I think the time is fast approaching where Cheika's selections and use of the bench must be called to account.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We really should have had it sown up by the interval.

The forwards in particular did some great stuff, foiled only by a brilliant steal by Strauss (and what a game he had).

I know that playing at altitude is not supposed to be a factor these days, because most of the players have been there a few times. But I reckon that it might have contributed to the way we faded towards the end.

Folau is at sixes and sevens these days. Mrs Wamberal has called for him to be sacked and given back to the other code.

Who has ever heard of a Test match full-back who just cannot kick the bloody ball?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, no.

Injured for starters. Even less mobile than Jones who was declared a lock because of that lack of mobility.

Tommy Staniforth would be my pick if the Wallabies were thinking a proper second rower at blindside, rather than a half lock or a 4/5/6 hybrid.

I'd agree but I stayed within the squad otherwise I'd go real left field and pick Hanigan AND Holloway.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd agree but I stayed within the squad otherwise I'd go real left field and pick Hanigan AND Holloway.

No no. Hanigan has played 2 Super Rugby games, both for limited minutes off the bench. He's had a good NRC but he was quiet on the weekend and rushing players like that literally ruins careers.

Starting him in a Wallabies game is the most nonsensical nonsense I have heard and I have heard a lot of nonsense in my time.

Holloway is injured but otherwise I'd love to see him get a shot.

As I was going to sleep I was laying in bed and thinking to myself:

"What the fuck can Dean Mumm do that Jack Dempsey can't do better?"

Dempsey is stronger, far more explosive, far more aggressive, probably fitter and only 5cm shorter. Certainly more hungry.

Why do we keep picking Mumm? Yes the lineouts a concern but players like Dempsey aren't weak at all in the lineout and could offer so much more.

Who else do we have at 6? The Rebels often use dual 7s in their setup (McMahon and Reid/Fainga'a). Fardy is not super effective at the moment.

Who do the force use? Alcock? The Reds have been using Tui sadly and their backup options (Browing etc) aren't up to it.

We desperately need to sort (in order priority):

- Our lineout.
- Selection at blindside flanker.
- Selection in the 2nd row.

I'd like to see Coleman and Douglas in the 2nd row, Fardy at 6 with someone like Dempsey off the bench to cover 6/8. Arnold off the bench to cover the second row.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No no. Hanigan has played 2 Super Rugby games, both for limited minutes off the bench. He's had a good NRC but he was quiet on the weekend and rushing players like that literally ruins careers.

Starting him in a Wallabies game is the most nonsensical nonsense I have heard and I have heard a lot of nonsense in my time.

Holloway is injured but otherwise I'd love to see him get a shot.

As I was going to sleep I was laying in bed and thinking to myself:

"What the fuck can Dean Mumm do that Jack Dempsey can't do better?"

Dempsey is stronger, far more explosive, far more aggressive, probably fitter and only 5cm shorter. Certainly more hungry.

Why do we keep picking Mumm? Yes the lineouts a concern but players like Dempsey aren't weak at all in the lineout and could offer so much more.

Who else do we have at 6? The Rebels often use dual 7s in their setup (McMahon and Reid/Fainga'a). Fardy is not super effective at the moment.

Who do the force use? Alcock? The Reds have been using Tui sadly and their backup options (Browing etc) aren't up to it.

We desperately need to sort (in order priority):

- Our lineout.

- Selection at blindside flanker.

- Selection in the 2nd row.

I'd like to see Arnold and Douglas in the 2nd row, Fardy at 6 with someone like Dempsey off the bench to cover 6/8.

Like I said in my post that started the too and fro, it doesn't really matter unless the actual training and strategy behind it is fixed. Why when there were 4 genuine jumpers on the field were the Wallabies only able to secure the ball at 2? Previously all the blame was heaped on Skelton for this limiting the numbers of jumpers?

I don't think selections will make much difference until the tactics and training are fixed and then I think any of the options used will be good.

In any event the most pressing concern for me is why even with 75% of possession, which it was at one point in the second half the Wallabies had no discernible attack pattern. With two "playmakers" no play was made. The lack of structure and urgency in attack from the whole 15 to capitalise on a break because we are playing the recycle phase game is the problem in my view AND the phases get slower and slower with each phase.

This year has taken the side back to the 2011-2012 Deans era in record losses, lack of actual performance and the coach talking about "taking our chances, we were the better team for large parts of the game, we are growing, we have had X number of debutants this year".

In all honesty I wouldn't be unhappy to see a clearing of the decks and in terms of game plan, some players and a couple of coaching staff. If Chieka continues as he is the few people still watching the game in Australia will turn off, because just like Deans time the players are trying but the quality of performance is just mind numbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.