• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of our biggest problems after a line break is that players like Moore and other forwards step into 1st receiver. Ok sometimes that can't be helped as the other backs are 1st to the ruck and have to clean out but so many times we are on attack and the ball ends up with Moore, Mumm or Simmons who offer nothing inn attack.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I actually thought it not too bad of a test, I must be getting old, but I enjoyed it. Thought Genia went pretty well, didn't think QC (Quade Cooper) was too bad, and Kerevi went ok in backs. Although I never a great fan I thought Hooper gave it everything and McMahon looked ok until he was injured.
I will sound like a broken record I know, but f*** me the Wallabies look bloody lazy to me at times, there just seems to be noone really getting desperate to get in support in breaks etc, but that just maybe me!

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Folau has been very poor by his standards, he isn't breaking tackles, he is making poor decisions, he looks to have lost all confidence when it comes to running the ball and has forgotten how to hit a gap.,

I'm not saying he is crap and should be dropped, but he is well out of form and something needs to be done to address that, maybe swapping him and DHP and letting Folau get back to the basics on the wing.

I reckon Folau is carrying an injury.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My view after a first (and only viewing):-

1. The Wallabies have absolutely no attack beyond the constant recycle and "pressure" game. This is even given away by the commentators who have certainly an inside word with Larkham like Kafer constantly repeating "the Wallabies just need to hold onto the ball for 7 or more phases. FFS Larkham that McQueen constant recycle game was old in 2002, with the changes to the ruck interpretation its Neolithic, especially given that after two or three phases the speed drops to what it was in 2002. If we have a look at the tries Australia actually does score they rarely come from a 7 phase grind and pounding a set defence. I had doubts at the start of this year about Larkham as an attack coach given the lack of anything resembling attack at the Brumbies, I have no doubts now.
2. Lineout - Chieka has shown a very disturbing propensity to be obstinate and blind to significant aspects of the game until its too late. After the 2014 Super win the scrum was much talked about as a weakness for the Tahs, but I and others raised the lack of lock coverage as the real weakness and so it was. The Lineout was discussed at the end of last year and all this year as a weakness and what has been done to improve it. We have managed to have two games where the Wallabies were acceptable on their own feed, but at no point have they pressured the opposition at all. In this as in most else I do not accept that the players who have displayed the skills to perform in the past cannot do it again if they are properly equipped.
3. Support play - how many times have we seen breaks made and the player then easily turned over because NOBODY or at best one player is in support?
4. Selection - the selection of the side is all over the place. Chieka is looking to me like Robbie Deans, selecting players out of position and fielding unbalanced sides and not owning the results, instead there are always extraneous reasons, be they refereeing, injuries, blooding rookies, winning the statistics but not taking "our chances".

Moving forward what I'd like to see but most certainly will not:-
1. Players selected on form and in position. Not trying to fit the 15 best rugby players somewhere on the field.
2. Larkham - goodbye. doesn't need explanation.
3. A dedicated forwards/lineout coach, that isn't Chieka or Ledesma because IF they have been doing something about it for two years it hasn't been doing anything positive.

So to my eye that would make the team next week from the squad available:-

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy/Mumm (it doesn't matter neither is doing much though perhaps Mumm has given more to the lineout excluding the last game)
7. Hooper
8. Timani - though next year I hope that Holloway or Huston get a decent run injury free. (I would have liked Timani to play for Tonga because I don't think he has much future in the Wallabies)
9 Genia
10. Cooper
12. Kerevi
13. Folau
11. Hodge
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16. Moore
17. Slipper (needs to work with Ledesma because he was woeful in the scrum from the set up with his elbow down on every set up)
18. Robertson
19. Coleman/Skelton (again doesn't matter unless the lineout is coached better, apparently the lineout issues had all been because there wasn't 3 genuine jumpers, but against the Saffas in the second half there were four and still they couldn't win ball except at 2)
20. McMahon - he is a 7. If he is injured with Gill gone OS draft in Jordy Reid.
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Kurindrani

The personnel hasn't changed much but the structure has.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Regarding Folau and Hodge- Folau at his absolute attacking worst still provides more than Hodge, Hodge is basically in the team for his long range kicking and even that failed.

And his defence in the line. Which is pretty damn good and much needed given Foley & Cooper are there. But yeah, offers very very little in attack.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not the best of games, but everyone here knew what type of game it was going to be.

The Boks were never interested in being too enterprising. They simply needed a win, the coach more so than anyone else. His ass is on the line. So we take a step or two forward and several back so we can beat a fairly average Australian side.

Let's face it; both sides are not what they should or could be at the moment.

Springboks NEVER looked like scoring. I'm just glad Morne played and that your Frans Steyn missed all his kicks.

Don't be too hard on him though because kicks like those are 50/50 and he could have been the match winner for Australia today. If you don't entrust him with those opportunities you'll break his confidence just as much so it's better he gets match experience with those kicks. F. Steyn has missed his fair share as well.

That kind of player keeps the opposition on their toes because teams nowadays commit penalties in order to stop the attacking team's momentum. If they know they may gift 3 points they might be reluctant to commit those penalties - this allows the attacking team to continue with their momentum.

Doubt as it's called.

Sorry Australia for the terrible game.

Yeah the one for about 65 out went just under,
The second just to the left.
Then to the right.
A small 1mm at the tea, the further the ball travels the bigger the distance.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I personally reckon Folau is not quite as good as some think, he not quite good enough to be the only real attacking weapon in a backline!

He's not been great. Aspects of his game are still worthy but if the harsh goggles were applied it might be said he's shy when taking the ball into contact. The coaches need to be dealing to/working on this sort of flaw. The same assessment could be made of Quade (at risk of exciting Bernard boosters).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Nah there's only one problem I can see with Izzy = decision making. He's still making half breaks, he's still catching the high ball, he's still doesn't look slow. He just looks uninterested. All mental IMO.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Shiggins was good too ;)
Yeah I thought Shiggins went well too.

Just went out and played his usual game.

A few highlights:

Boks get away with everything
the boks are throwing their balls in a mile backwards anyway
How the hell istening that a penalty and yellow card.
Wallabies are so unlucky when it comes to the bounce of the ball
Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
Who r u talking to
Shouod be another yellow card against the boks
No r u blind?

munch.gif

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Folau didn't play that badly. John Eales made the point pre-game that he has so often been the only real attacking option in the back-line. There aren't many other threats for defences to be concerned about.

I don't know how many times in the last few years I've seen him make breaks or half-breaks with no support and no one running off him.
The lack of support play was shocking last night. Basic stuff gone MIA

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I thought Shiggins went well too.

Just went out and played his usual game.
:D

TBF, "live" match comments are like the old Convention and Visitors Authority ads—they stay in Vegas.

No3uPBY.png

You gotta be hammering it at teh time. Cain't be analysing that shit the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.