• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
No, he should be given the chance to have an impact in the first 60 with Timani coming on in the last 20 after he has run himself to death. IMO it's cruel to leave a player benched because his 'impact' is so useful late in the game. Taf being the best example. Great impact in the last 20-30 and now stuck behind an inferior player because of it and the captaincy i suppose.

I'm not going to disagree with you - agree with your point as well.

Timani & McMahon both came on - one created impact and had an impact on result, the other didn't. I see benefit both ways - the game isn't won in the last 20 it is set up in the first 60 - you need best players on the park so hence I'm not disagreeing with you.

But i still liked him coming off the pine like he did last game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

One of Polota-Nau's understudies at the Waratahs, Tolu Latu, was called up in his place, beating in-form Reds hooker Andrew Ready for the spot. Cheika said he had spoken to Ready about what he wanted the young Queenslander to improve on, and had been impressed by Latu's form in the NRC.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ad-trip-to-africa-london-20160922-grlw2j.html

Probably wants him to improve his geography - move south of the Tweed.:)

I don't have a problem really with Latu but I do think Ready has been in consistent good form all year and had earned a shot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't have a problem really with Latu but I do think Ready has been in consistent good form all year and had earned a shot.

When we're talking about an uncapped player does it make more sense to pick the player who is currently in better form or averaging form across a whole year?

The former seems more relevant to me.

When the selection is based on being able to make an impact off the bench as Cheika has said, Latu's selection also makes sense from that perspective.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

In trying to understand the coaches thinking, Ready is clearly a better poacher from 2, but Cheika wants players to fan out until their is a dominant tackle; and then counter ruck.

I would suggest Ready was asked to work on his dominant defensive work and ball running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I would suggest Ready was asked to work on his dominant defensive work and ball running

And his propensity to NOT be a Waratah. That's pretty key.

2404325409_5543da1791.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In trying to understand the coaches thinking, Ready is clearly a better poacher from 2, but Cheika wants players to fan out until their is a dominant tackle; and then counter ruck.

Problem seems to be that our hooking options all carry some compromise. Whether it be general play, lineout consistency, or scrum work. I'd think, against the Bokke, aiming to solidify the lineout should be near the top of the list.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Most seem to agree the Pooper is done.

Most would agree that the Pooper's life expectancy was extended because we had a serious deficiency at 8. McCalman was tried but didn't take his opportunity.

I seriously like McMahon as a player and what he brings. But he is still a smallish guy to pack at 8.

If Sean was selected at 8 (and Hoops at 7) then it's a continuation of the Pooper type of combination specifically the McHooper.

Most want to see a big line bending 8. Timani is a distinct possibility of filling that role and should be given a couple of matches (starting) to see if he is that number 8.

Unfortunately Sean may be a victim of not being bigger

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most want to see a big line bending 8. Timani is a distinct possibility of filling that role and should be given a couple of matches (starting) to see if he is that number 8.

Is that how it generally works though?

Most players will get introduced off the bench and need to show what they can do to get a bigger opportunity.

It should be easier for him to show that impact we are after in a short period of time than over most of a match.

If we look purely at the last match McMahon came on and provided a noticeable impact playing at number 8. Timani didn't. I think McMahon is pretty much guaranteed to take Pocock's spot next week.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
BH
You are probably right. Chek will do the obvious.

I am simply putting the case as to why I think the other bloke should get the start.

I am not overly worried about this week or next but potentially for years to come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's must be a tough choice for these young guys deciding whether they join the Tahs and play for the Wallabies or join the NSW Cricket team and get presented a Baggy Green.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's must be a tough choice for these young guys deciding whether they join the Tahs and play for the Wallabies or join the NSW Cricket team and get presented a Baggy Green.

Conspiracy Theorists have flourished (quite rightly I might add) in the lesser populous States even before Federation.

That is why the West and South Australians, Tasmanians and mighty Queenslanders refused to federate without the installation of the Senate.

Go Pauline and Jackie:)

Status
Not open for further replies.