• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs All Blacks @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Agreed Brisbok. Brussow won't improve the team at all, and he's 1 less lineout option. I have no qualms, excluding quotas of course, with the current loosies being picked.

Nizaam Carr is also a bit farfetched. Don't forget we have players like Arno Botha, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw as well as even Pierre Spies(just) who would be in the line ahead of him if they are healthy. Nizaam Carr is no better than Jono Ross, and we know how crap he is on his best of days.

All in all, Heyneke's changed a lot more in the last 2.5 years than he's being credited for. I wish we were able to time travel to October 2011, to remember the bad state our rugby was in, to see how much has changed. He's always had a clear plan, and he's sticking to it, despite people thinking he's changed his mind. Obviously he couldn't know 100% how good someone like Pollard or Hendricks would be, but he signed Pollard when he was 16 already to the Bulls when he was still DOR at the Bulls, which is some considerable foresight/talent spotting.

Truth is, we have no coach at nearly his level in all facets, so it's better to trust in Meyer. WP fans might not like it, but that's the way it is. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB - you keep banging on about Brussouw but IMO he has not been anywhere near the player in the last few seasons that he was when he first came onto the scene in 2009.

He seems to have been injured about as much as he has been available in recent times and has barely been a standout at Super Rugby level.

FLO is IMO, a much better all round player than Brussouw. He has been just as good as Brussouw at the breakdown (Brussouw seems to have been penalised a lot the last few seasons), he is much better with ball in hand and he has the height to provide a decent lineout option.

Yes, he is a 'chicken-runner', but at this stage they are eligible to be selected and will be for the foreseeable future. So that is a non-issue. If you are comparing players on ability alone, Flo is a much better option and has had a great couple of seasons for the Boks. I cannot see any specific improvement that Brussouw would make to our existing back row, they have gelled into a very good combination so why change it?
was invited to the first Bok training squad. The fact that his form force Meyer to select him probably showed that we did not watch the same S15?

Springboks have enough talent to pick local players. Picking overseas players is a lose lose cycle for SA rugby. Once a player want to chase money , then he cant play for the Springboks. Isnt this the way the Wallabies and All Blacks do it?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Agreed Brisbok. Brussow won't improve the team at all, and he's 1 less lineout option. I have no qualms, excluding quotas of course, with the current loosies being picked.

Nizaam Carr is also a bit farfetched. Don't forget we have players like Arno Botha, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw as well as even Pierre Spies(just) who would be in the line ahead of him if they are healthy. Nizaam Carr is no better than Jono Ross, and we know how crap he is on his best of days.

All in all, Heyneke's changed a lot more in the last 2.5 years than he's being credited for. I wish we were able to time travel to October 2011, to remember the bad state our rugby was in, to see how much has changed. He's always had a clear plan, and he's sticking to it, despite people thinking he's changed his mind. Obviously he couldn't know 100% how good someone like Pollard or Hendricks would be, but he signed Pollard when he was 16 already to the Bulls when he was still DOR at the Bulls, which is some considerable foresight/talent spotting.

Truth is, we have no coach at nearly his level in all facets, so it's better to trust in Meyer. WP fans might not like it, but that's the way it is. ;)
Well Brussouw dont play for WP just to let that one get to sleep. Qouting Spoes show the way your head work. He is one of the most overrated players on the universe. Discardibng Carr like this probably because of his skin colour because on form he sure is one of the outstanding players in the CC.

Anyways thats the way Brutes head works, I'll take you back when Brussouw lost it. You probably wont even know that Brussouw and Duane is a tested combo, winning the CC for the Cheetahs under Rassie.

Sport24
Meyer snubs Brüssow again

Cape Town - Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer's treatment of Cheetahs loose forward Heinrich Brüssow amounts to a slap in the face.

Many were surprised two weeks ago to learn of Brüssow's inclusion in Meyer's preliminary 36-man Springbok squad: was Meyer finally making a U-turn on his anti-Brüssow stance?

Was Meyer finally acknowledging Brüssow's fine performance in Super Rugby and giving him a fair crack at the No 6 jersey?

Meyer had in the past offered up a litany of reasons for excluding the nuggety openside flank from the Springbok team, including suggestions that the Cheetahs forward's penalty count was too high, ironic when you consider his Springbok team received 13 cards last year for discipline-related offences and foul play.

Of course the real reason behind Meyer's well-documented preference of height and bulk is that taller and heftier forwards offer more in the set-pieces, an extra lineout option and added bulk in the scrum and rolling maul.

A technical coach like Meyer places a lot of emphasis on the set-piece, the very platform on which his considerable success at the Bulls was based.

Two weeks later and Meyer's rush to include Brüssow in the squad appears more like a rush of blood to the head.

Brüssow has subsequently been unceremoniously booted from the squad, one of only five players included in the initial squad, but cut from the final squad for reasons other than injury or suspension.

Of the four other players who didn't make the final 36-man cut for the Incoming Series, Marnitz Boshoff and Jacques du Plessis are uncapped and Trevor Nyakane still has the spectre of a disciplinary issue from last year hovering over him.

The fourth player was Bjorn Basson, who hasn't shone as brightly this year as he did last year after topping the Super Rugby try-scoring table in 2013.

It makes one wonder: why include Brüssow in the first place?

Could it be the Springbok coach was trying to avoid a banana peel?

Nick Mallett last week revealed on SuperSport he had wanted to include Brüssow in his World XV, however he was unable to select him when Meyer decided to call Brüssow into his 36-man squad.

"I was looking to get Brüssow in, but I think Heyneke heard about that, and selected him for the Bok team," Mallett joked.

If Brüssow had played for the World XV and put in the sort of performance against the Springboks that he routinely does for the Cheetahs in Super Rugby, it could have left Meyer with egg on his face.

Meyer's attitude towards Brüssow seems to be much the same as Jake White's view of fetchers: only useful for bringing a cold one to the couch.

The Bulls team's recent struggles at the breakdown in Super Rugby without a serious fetcher in their loose trio arsenal without the injured Deon Stegmann is evidence of the weakness of that philosophy.

The Springboks, on the other hand, already have a more than capable fetcher in the form of Francois Louw - however, if Louw is injured, the Boks have a real problem, as was evidenced by the team's match against Scotland in June last year, when Louw was released on nuptial leave and the Springboks put in their worst performance of the year.

If Meyer had the courage of his convictions he should have afforded Brüssow the opportunity to prove him wrong at Test level, by allowing him to play against the Springboks in a World XV team.

It's one thing to refuse to pick a player, but to then prevent that same player playing against your team seems a bit disingenuous.

Picking Brüssow and then dropping him from the Springbok squad is an even bigger snub than if he hadn't picked the player at all.

Changes to the final 36-man Springbok squad:

OUT:

Bjorn Basson (Bulls)
Marnitz Boshoff (Lions)
Heinrich Brüssow (Cheetahs)
Jean de Villiers (Stormers) - INJURED
Jacques du Plessis (Bulls)
Frans Malherbe (Stormers) - INJURED
Trevor Nyakane (Cheetahs)
Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs) - SUSPENDED

IN:

Bakkies Botha (Toulon, France)
Schalk Brits (Saracens, England)
Bryan Habana (Toulon, France)
Zane Kirchner (Leinster, Ireland)
Francois Louw (Bath, England)
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, Northern Ireland)
Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France)
Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, France)

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
was invited to the first Bok training squad. The fact that his form force Meyer to select him probably showed that we did not watch the same S15?

Springboks have enough talent to pick local players. Picking overseas players is a lose lose cycle for SA rugby. Once a player want to chase money , then he cant play for the Springboks. Isnt this the way the Wallabies and All Blacks do it?

Their players get a bit more money I'm guessing.

Also, the rise of food prices and transport, the ridiculous levels of crime aren't helping. Basically players value their quality and indeed duration of life more than the Springbok jersey, which is unfortunately the exact same thing any one of us would do.

It is what it is though, and Meyer wants to win matches. You can perhaps get away with selecting a starting 15 based on locals only, but there is no way you would have the strong bench we have currently. And as you saw the last 2 weeks, benches play a massive part in the outcome of matches.

You just have to look at this year's Super Rugby standings to see that we don't have the depth in strength we had before.

Brussow was picked as part of the wider training group - hell, even Jacques du Plessis made that camp, so that's not saying much.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Their players get a bit more money I'm guessing.

Also, the rise of food prices and transport, the ridiculous levels of crime aren't helping. Basically players value their quality and indeed duration of life more than the Springbok jersey, which is unfortunately the exact same thing any one of us would do.

It is what it is though, and Meyer wants to win matches. You can perhaps get away with selecting a starting 15 based on locals only, but there is no way you would have the strong bench we have currently. And as you saw the last 2 weeks, benches play a massive part in the outcome of matches.

You just have to look at this year's Super Rugby standings to see that we don't have the depth in strength we had before.

Brussow was picked as part of the wider training group - hell, even Jacques du Plessis made that camp, so that's not saying much.
We can have a better bench. Co incident that Lampie finally get the job done from the bench or perhaps do you rather wanted chicken runner Morne Steyn on the bench?

Just try to understand "Local is Lekka" you just maybe get there.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Well Brussouw dont play for WP just to let that one get to sleep. Qouting Spoes show the way your head work. He is one of the most overrated players on the universe. Discardibng Carr like this probably because of his skin colour because on form he sure is one of the outstanding players in the CC.

Anyways thats the way Brutes head works, I'll take you back when Brussouw lost it. You probably wont even know that Brussouw and Duane is a tested combo, winning the CC for the Cheetahs under Rassie.

Sport24

Of course I know that. Still remember De Waal kicking that conversion from the corner in 2007 to beat the Lions. Duane was with me at school, so I've followed his career more closely than most others.

But that's like saying we should pick Derick Hougaard and Heinie Adams because they won the Bulls the 2007 Super Rugby title.

Brussow's good, but the others are better, that's just how it is.

And I don't really admire the race card you're playing there. I don't want Jono Ross from my own team near that Bok jersey either. I'm guessing you're gonna say I hate English people as well. :confused:

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
We can have a better bench. Co incident that Lampie finally get the job done from the bench or perhaps do you rather wanted chicken runner Morne Steyn on the bench?

Nobody wants Morne Steyn there, but that's neither here nor there, so I'd leave it at that.

Local is lekker only if you have 2 players of equal quality. In somebody like Habana, Fourie du Preez and Francois Louw's cases, this is clearly not the case.

Not sure what you're interested in, but I just want us to give ourselves the best chance of winning, going into any match... ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Oom jy praat strooi en jy weet dit.

;)

We don't wan't Moernaai, Zane, or any of the current Bulls players anywhere near the Boks other than Flip.

We're not that crazy.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom jy praat strooi en jy weet dit.

;)

We don't wan't Moernaai, Zane, or any of the current Bulls players anywhere near the Boks other than Flip.

We're not that crazy.
Demmit the ou Bul joined in. :cool: ;) Wanted to give the jong bul some thinking.

Pollard?

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Agree regarding Flouw>Brussow

Anyone think that MS being dropped at the Boks and subsequently his French handlers is a good thing for SA Rugby?

Being a Bok is what makes the clubs want you, running away means that you may be left without a contract - definitely a reduced one, when you lose your place in the bok lineup.

Another topic of conversation is how JJ is contracted to the Boks, and therefore is rested for the end of year tour along with the other 19 contracted players and as Pollard isnt contracted, he is training with the Bulls this week to finish out the Currie Cup. JJ seems to have completely fallen off HM's radar and needs gametime to play himself back into contention, whereas Pollard now goes to the Bulls to play the Currie Cup? Bit of a Logic fail there..

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The contracting thing is a shambles.

Worse yet. De Allende is contracted. WTFF.

Something in my head will pop if Pollard gets injured.

Re Moernaai:

What a fall from Grace. Lose your Bok place and now club wants to hoof you. Feel sorry for the guy. He took a lot of stick but did some great things. He saved us a whole lot of embarrassment against the Lions. Let's not forget that.

I don't think we will ever see him again. Unless something in Meyer's head goes pop.

Anyone bothered to keep an eye on Goosen?

Re Brossow:

Yes I also agree. I said some time ago that Flo and Habs will be the only two overseas Boks I would pick in a squad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

Anyone bothered to keep an eye on Goosen?

<snip>.

Yeah what has happened to the Goose? I liked the look of him when he burst on the scene, but this Pollard kid is the future, no doubt about it (unfortunately for the Wobs).

He will be bringing smiles to the faces of Saffers for a long long while.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Note to Dewald Nel
Sport24
Carr: It's a real team effort

Cape Town - Western Province star Nizaam Carr was the toast of the annual WP Rugby Awards on Tuesday night, but the modest loose forward was very quick to thank his team-mates and coaches for a memorable 2014 thus far.

Carr walked off with two coveted senior individual awards at the Southern Sun Cape Sun on Tuesday - the MVP award and the Players’ Player of the Year award.

Afterwards, the modest 23-year-old told the WP Rugby website: “For me, personally, it’s not about trophies or man-of-the-match awards, it’s a real team effort.

“I must thank the coaches for giving me the opportunities and believing in me. Without my team-mates and my coaches I would not be here accepting these awards. I am proud, but also very thankful to everyone, especially to my fellow players who saw it fit to vote for me as their players’ player.”

Carr made his senior provincial debut in 2011, but a serious knee injury halted his progress in 2012.

However, he has already played a total 37 matches for the Stormers - 16 this season - and an additional 26 games for Western Province.

“This is my first full year, in terms of playing through, so it’s been an enjoyable season on every level… I could go on and on, I don’t want the season to stop!" said Carr.
The skilful and speedy loose forward played most of the 2014 Super Rugby season in the No 6 jersey, but has been in outstanding form at No 8 during the Currie Cup.

He does not mind where he plays, however, as long as he can continue to contribute to a successful Currie Cup campaign, which could culminate in a home final after WP secured the right to host the 2014 finale with a game in hand.

“I really don’t mind at all where I play, I just want to play and will play wherever I am needed,” said Carr, “I will even play on the wing if there’s a gap for me there!

“It’s been a season to remember for so many reasons, but it’s far from finished,” he continued.

“This weekend we’re hosting the Sharks at Newlands, then we have the semi-finals and, hopefully, that home final too.

“We all know our roles within the team… it’s clearly defined, which adds to the enjoyment. Although competition for places is very tough at the moment, that enjoyment and being comfortable in our roles is making it possible for players to excel on the field.

“We would love nothing more than rewarding our fans with a home final and bringing home the Currie Cup, but we know it will be tough and we know we still have plenty to do this season - the job is by no means complete.”

Western Province will host the Sharks at Newlands on Saturday at 17:05.

Regardless of Saturday’s outcome, they will host a home semi-final the next weekend (October 18 - opponents TBC) at Newlands.

Who wants Flo if you can have Carr????

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Worse yet. De Allende is contracted.

Something in my head will pop if Pollard gets injured.

De Allende had a busy season and had small niggles. He had a great season and derserve to backup. JdJ also have a great CC season so far and probably not far off the radar.

I posted probably more then enough about Handre. Altho he did better then expected he need experience and havent played that much rugby this year. The Bulls need him desperately to help them to CC glory.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not visited Soi 33 for about 2 years but have experienced the Kiwis in Wall St far too many times!Looks like The Office is not the place to go even if Aussie run.

i hear that Wall Street's new owners are targeting the kathoey market.
if they succeed the atmosphere shouldn't be much different to what it's been for the last few years.

i go to Soi 33 only for rugby at The Office, which Bob has got running pretty well.
he's a real Tah man, so is in great heart now.
The Office has been a great spot in recent years, as a safe haven from very feral and aggressive kiwis.

my rugby tragic mate and i don't know what to do if the feral kiwis migrate to The Office - it would become as intolerable as they made Wall Street.
let's see what happens on Saturday week.

we are looking.
any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.