• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
And the forecast for Saturday is for "Windy, with rain and drizzle". Quelle surprise! Whoever put the mocker gods on our RC program must think we need to play in the wet in preparation for the RWC.

I think this makes SA even hotter favourites than they were before.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is being the home team really that advantageous? The bookies seem to think so. With Australia being favorites last time around but this time we're sitting at $3.50 even after beating them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is being the home team really that advantageous? The bookies seem to think so. With Australia being favorites last time around but this time we're sitting at $3.50 even after beating them.

Yes it is. That's why we've got about a 25% success rate in South Africa.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In that case that's a truly marvelous facet of sport. That the exact same 46 men, playing in potentially the same weather, similar pitch etc. can be vastly affected by location factors.

T

Tip

Flexibility? Just because Saia can bend over and touch his toes doesn't mean he's going to keep the scrum straight under pressure. What use is being able to contort yourself into funny positions to strike the ball if your scrum is back-pedalling and you give away a penalty or serve up shit for your 8 and 9?

It does mean he can extend his hooking foot further than any other player, and when your scrum is back-pedalling , that extra 2-4 inches can be the difference between a tighthead and a lucky-to-get-away-with-that-one.

It is UNBELIEVABLY helpful as a hooker. Hell, I made it to ausschools from having a +20cm sit&reach and winning tightheads against dominant scrums.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Springbok team to face Australia in Cape Town is:
15 Willie le Roux 19 Tests, 35 points
14 Cornal Hendricks 7 Tests 25 points
13 Jan Serfontein 14 Tests 5 points
12 Jean de Villiers (captain) 100 Tests 125 points
11 Bryan Habana 101 Tests 280 points
10 Handré Pollard 4 Tests 34 points
9 Francois Hougaard 30 Tests 20 points
8 Duane Vermeulen 23 Tests 10 points
7 Teboho “Oupa” Mohoje 1 Test 0 points
6 Marcell Coetzee 20 Tests 20 points
5 Victor Matfield (vice-captain) 115 Tests 35 points
4 Eben Etzebeth 27 Tests 0 points
3 Jannie du Plessis 58 Tests 5 points
2 Adriaan Strauss 38 Tests 25 points
1 Tendai Mtawarira 59 Tests 10 points
Replacements:
16 Bismarck du Plessis 64 Tests 45 points
17 Trevor Nyakane 7 Tests 5 points
18 Marcel van der Merwe 3 Tests 0 points
19 Bakkies Botha 81 Tests 35 points
20 Schalk Burger 71 Tests 65 points
21 Cobus Reinach - uncapped
22 Pat Lambie 34 Tests 68 points
23 JP Pietersen 54 Tests 85

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
hearing Saia to start..

It would be the smart thing to do.

Hanson isn't a player with any standout, point of difference in his game. He's more or less on par with Saia in set piece, ball running and clean outs, but Saia brings one important pro.

Tackling.

It's a hell of a lot easier to 1) win a ruck turnover if the person making the tackle, does so around the ankles, as the ball carrier is physically unable to either start pumping the legs and drive through, OR be driven forward by following team mates. They don't get that +2-3 metres per phase that allows a team to build momentum up by getting just that little bit further into the defensive line.

Chop someones ankles out, and they fall on their face where you hit them. Do it in tandem with a second player, and you get what Simmons and (Hooper?) did last week to that poor Argie. Even Luke Skywalker on Hoth knew this.

Saia chopping out Bok ankle will make a big difference to the ease with which they gain momentum. A gameplan based around very low tackles and an immediate flood of the ruck, even if its just two players, would be the first thing i'd hope Link writes on the board.

T

Tip

Gill, Robinson & Slipper have been feasting for 4 years at the Reds off the back of Saia's grasscuts. It's his major point of difference and it's dominant tackle where the ballcarrier is bought down and all they've had to do was bend over..

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The people in here have pretty much been cvnts about it. I offered to make a video of the throws (I have the games on my PC so it would only take a couple of hours) so we could have a look at them all in quick succession but the attitude displayed was "well here's an uncited stat I found that says TPN only threw 9 not straights in the 2014 Super Rugby so you're an idiot if you think TPN still has issues with his throwing."

I tried in vain over several posts to get a reasonable metric but no one wanted to offer one. It's a couple of hours I'm not interested in spending on it anymore.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Do we expect McCalman or Palu to be starting? Either or, they must make Pollard's night hell for this test to be ours.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The people in here have pretty much been cvnts about it. I offered to make a video of the throws (I have the games on my PC so it would only take a couple of hours) so we could have a look at them all in quick succession but the attitude displayed was "well here's an uncited stat I found that says TPN only threw 9 not straights in the 2014 Super Rugby so you're an idiot if you think TPN still has issues with his throwing."

I tried in vain over several posts to get a reasonable metric but no one wanted to offer one. It's a couple of hours I'm not interested in spending on it anymore.

Because your wrong and most of us on here know that without needing stats to prove it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Nailed it.
And your metric bullshit argument is a straw man. You don't need a metric to appreciate improvement. The stats can be compared against each other. 2 not straights/miss throws a game in 2010 vs 1.2 a game in 2014 will tell the story.

You've talked the talk, now walk the walk or shut up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Fucking hell. I go and actually do some work for a few days, and come back to find the forum full of victims.

You were given an acceptable figure: 0. Dot. Nada. You didn't act on it.

Here's another one - TPN year-by-year lineout throws per game, broken down into:

Successful
Not straight
Over/under throw
Stolen off target

Subtitles for each one you categorise.

Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.