• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Patty McCabe got screwed this season before Lilo came back he was passing kicking offloading and also still had what we all loved him for that God damn tough as nails running.

He seemed to gain a yard of pace too.

Out of everyone who's played 12 this year, that could play for oz, I think Patty had the best performances.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Australia need a strong running #12 who has a bit of a kicking game. A bit of a hybrid between B. Barnes and Serfontein. Or, F. Steyn. You guys may just as well have him now I guess since it's unlikely he'll ever play for the Boks again.

A strong ball-carrier with a bit of a boot and a slight jink here and there. The strong carries will particularly help if the player can offload in the tackle and set up Kuridrani on a run.

Having a kicking #12 is always helpful in relieving pressure off the FH, especially if you consider playing Quade at 10 who I see as someone who poses a different threat than his kicking abilities.

2:03 onwards

Link will likely start the Tahs 9-10-12 axis against the Argies this week though

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Taps needs to be played @12 for starters, rather than Graham playing him at 13 like an idiot.

I think at test level though, To'omua will be stuck with, at least through to the end of RWC.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tapuai is my preferred 12 for the Wallabies, leaving aside KHunt for whom a spot must be found.

let's hope QLand's management helps bring him back to his best this year.

T

Train Without a Station

I was a big fan of Tapuai. Thought he was potentially our best and most complete 12 since Horan.

I prefer what To'omua offers though. He is a stronger runner into contact, whilst not as agile a runner as Taps. He also has a longer kick on him and is a more dominant defender. Tapuai at his best would be my next choice 12.

T

Train Without a Station

And who knows. Perhaps it was misplaced. It was an EOYT after all. I don't think he faced South Africa or New Zealand.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
I know I'm late to the party, having been away and only getting a chance to watch the test last night but geez it was disappointing to see the Wallabies fall apart in the last 10 mins after such a gutsy (yet sloppy display) at times in a tough environment. Some blokes tackled themselves to a stand-still with several reserves adding little if any impact.

You'd have thought with experienced guys like Robinson, Horwill, Beale, etc on the bench, they would have lifted the team and helped finish the Boks off. Unfortunately the complete opposite is true.

Like most Wallaby supporters I'm sick of the constant $hit chat along the lines of we're improving, hoodoos mean nothing, etc. Shut up, play decent footy and let the results speak for themselves.

Surely McKenzie throws things out the window this week and gives blokes like Genia, Skelton & co a go.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know I'm late to the party, having been away and only getting a chance to watch the test last night but geez it was disappointing to see the Wallabies fall apart in the last 10 mins after such a gutsy (yet sloppy display) at times in a tough environment. Some blokes tackled themselves to a stand-still with several reserves adding little if any impact.

You'd have thought with experienced guys like Robinson, Horwill, Beale, etc on the bench, they would have lifted the team and helped finish the Boks off. Unfortunately the complete opposite is true.

Like most Wallaby supporters I'm sick of the constant $hit chat along the lines of we're improving, hoodoos mean nothing, etc. Shut up, play decent footy and let the results speak for themselves.

Surely McKenzie throws things out the window this week and gives blokes like Genia, Skelton & co a go.

very true in bold.
i have formed a proposition that the quality of the Wallabies' on-field performances can be reliably predicted by their chatter in the week before the game.
the more they talk in that week, the worse they play.
the less they talk in that week, the better they play.
and all shades in between.
so, best thing would be for them to STFU.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I just re-watched the match, did anyone else get a bit of wood when TK smashed both springbok centers as he run through to put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) away... it was like ten pin bowling.. absolutely skittled them

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
very true in bold.
i have formed a proposition that the quality of the Wallabies' on-field performances can be reliably predicted by their chatter in the week before the game.
the more they talk in that week, the worse they play.
the less they talk in that week, the better they play.
and all shades in between.
so, best thing would be for them to STFU.

We've had this debate a million times.

They give bland, cliched statements every week, and have done so for the past 25 years. So have the All Blacks, so have every other team. They need to promote the game and avoiding the media isn't good for anyone.

Do you think these cliches that one player says at a press conference on Tuesday really affects how the team plays in the last 15 minutes on Saturday?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

They give bland, cliched statements every week, and have done so for the past 25 years. So have the All Blacks, so have every other team. They need to promote the game and avoiding the media isn't good for anyone.

Do you think these cliches that one player says at a press conference on Tuesday really affects how the team plays in the last 15 minutes on Saturday?

i can't agree.
watch and listen to the media stuff from all teams.
it's easy, just go to some newspaper sites in the country of the teams playing.
the Wallabies yak yak more than any other team.
as Rugby Is My Life wrote, many people are sick of hearing it.

i shall try to measure it - when i have the time.

you think there is any evidence at all that the "bland, cliched statements" do, in your words, "promote the game"?
if they don't why do the unions persist with them?

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)

No idea barbarian but it doesn't mean they can't promote the game. Just cut the constant bullshit about 'we've turned the corner' or 'we're ready to beat the AB's'. Until it happens, make it a mission to be humble and not get ahead of yourself.

We belted an ordinary French team 3-0, draw 12-12 with the AB's in the rain and then get utterly bitched and bullied in the AB's backyard where 90% of the team go MIA and McKenzie has selection brain explosions.

Probably a conversation for another thread but you can bet your last dollar Cheik wouldn't cop any of this shit or coach for what seems the public as opposed to the team itself. This half time staying on the field to remain in the moment is complete crap. The current AB's are the best we're ever likely to see and I can't recall them EVER doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.